Working at FAMILY DOLLAR — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about FAMILY DOLLAR pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at FAMILY DOLLAR

From Longview Tx — 09/25/2010

Family Dollar is a big company. There have been plenty of bad ratings on this company. I honestly think it is because most people do not realize how these type of companies are ran. There are certain procedures that need to be followed. And anytime the DM or someone higher up than us throws a fit about something we just remember one thing and often remind each other of this when they have been attacked. "Sh** rolls down hill." The pressure that your DM is putting on you is NOT personal. The only time it gets personal is when you are constantly doing the same thing over and over again when you have been asked to do it differently.

Imagine you are store manager and your DM tells you that you MUST do something. You are currently working on the schedule or something else that needs to be done, so you tell your assistant "Please do this it must be done." The assistant is working on something so she asks her cashier if she could please do this, it must be done. The cashier ends up forgetting. Who is responsible? Everyone. Who gets chewed out? Everyone. It rolls down and it just keeps rolling. There really isn't a top or bottom. It is more like a circle. You have GOT to listen to each other and work together at Family dollar. It does NOT matter what position you hold, this is only a "place holder". You are all equal and you are all part of a team. No one is higher.... only in show. Respect is something that is earned and eventually you will be praised but you have GOT to show honesty and integrity, responsibility and willingness to work WITH someone and FOR someone with absolutely no power or authority issues.

Family Dollar is not a bad company. It's an average company. It does have it's flaws, you wont be living in a mansion or driving a Ferrari. It's Retail. Retail is hell. You chose it. In retail, no matter where you go you will be working on holidays, you wont get overtime and if you are a manager you will work when you need to. It's Salary it is NOT supposed to be broken down by the hour. You sign a contract when they hire you. You know the procedure, policies and conditions. You can try to sue this company all that you want to but you wont win. They are a fair company. They give people the opportunity to move up. If you feel you are over qualified, then go somewhere else, if no one will hire you. There is your answer. Family Dollar was the only one that gave you a chance buddy.

I've been working at Family dollar for a year. I'm 23 years old. I'm an assistant that is getting her own store in a couple of weeks. Right now I am managing a store without a manager and I am getting 10+ hours in overtime until I am a manager. Within a year I have learned 3 rules that guarantee success at Family Dollar.

1. Hire the best no matter what.
2. Work as a team
3. Understand "S*** rolls down hill and people get stressed because of this. Nothing is personal. Just do your best and be HONEST!!!

From South Carolina — 11/19/2009

I have been with this company for almost a year, I have been in retail for over 16 years, I have been treated with respect and have gotten three raises, You must be willinly to work hard and use some common sense. Expectations are high but i never seen it different in any other retail. I have quickly advanced because you get promoted and raises based on performance. Anyone that hasn't advanced or gotten a raise needs to look in the mirror, I als find it funny how so many of the reviews are neg but they say they have been there for 2 yrs or 5yrs If the job or company is that bad why not get a new one and if the answer is they can't find another job then me grateful for the one they have

From Burbank, Illinois — 11/09/2009

I was actually surprised to read the reviews I did. As a mother, I find that Family Dollar not only provides a safe and stable work enviroment for myself, but awesome benefits for my entire family. I'm not talking your generic ppo plan, but actually very legitimate health, dental, life, vision......all the way down to legal. You will work at the Family Dollar,as there is no time to stand around and coast, but I think you will find it very rewarding long run. In addition, there is plenty of room for advancement.

From toledo,oh — 07/29/2009

I am a 5 year store manager who has been where all the complainers are, and I believed the all problem all have one thing in common. Poor management skills, poorly managing your store, family time, and personal time will lead to overall breakdown. The first two years I ran a store it was horrible, mostly due to my lack of training and my inability to balance my personal time vs. store time.
The last three have been great due to key factors: managing the store vs letting it manage me, competent staffing-you choose your staff so don't complain, prioritize the work-there is a method to their madness. So for those who walk away, it's in the plan, either you sink or swim in this business and it's only as hard as you make it. I am not blind to situations of incompetent seniors, large task loads, or any of the other 2000 problems that can occur in a day, but you can only do what you can do, and remember that if family dollar folds tommorow your family will still be there and you should always put them first!

From columbus,ohio — 04/20/2009

It seems that the people that worked in the "bad" stores all had one thing in common, bad bosses.I have been an assistant manager for family dollar for over a year now and love it. Thats not to say its perfect. The pay really is horrible compaired to other retail management positions but it is hard to get fired if you are doing your job and have support. My location is good but the thieves are always around. Good help is hard to find in my location but I have a really good manager,asm,dm and reg. manager all who help with varying aspect of my store. Yes we all need more payroll and better security would be great but no company is every going to make it easy on you. To all those with bad experiences I am sorry but please don't think that all family dollars' are like that. Thanks

From W.Bridgewater MA — 04/07/2009

I have been with Family DOllar for over one year i started off as a stock man when i was in high school within one yr i went from stock to field speciast to store manager. The pay is great . remember the us average salary retail manager is 32000 a yr. family dollar is 39000 a yr. So dont complain about hrs i run a 1.2 million dollar store and work only 55hrs a wk and thats with a couple of playing around hrs. The job is easy dont let ur employees run over them but make sure there part of the team its key. Also job sercurity is ovouis if you cant run a store you cant be a manager. So dont complain. But i also reconizew the some managers do suck and need to leave the company but is is good overall. Also i have meet VP,RVP DVP all great men. They also started at the botton with some other company. SO before you complain check ur self and see if your an actualy worker and not no welfare check reciever

From New England Area — 05/28/2008

I hear a lot of bad things about FDS, however, I loved the years I spent there. Most managers can climb up the ladder with ease if they are well qualified, and the benefits are really good.
I always felt respected by my Regional and my District managers.
I even met the vp of the company and he was a real nice man too.
jobs are what you make of them, if you don't like it then move on. I left only to pursue more money, however, I was making over a grand a week when I left. Not to mention bonuses!!

From Maquoketa, Iowa — 04/07/2008

This pertains to Distribution Center employment not a store. As a non-management employee for several years, I have found the pay and benefits to be decent for the area. While there have been some exceptions, respect is easily gained by being reliable and efficient. Being flexible to cross-train and do other jobs as well only helps both in respect and in job security. To be honest, it takes quite a bit for even a slacker to get fired. The potential is often available to changes jobs and attempt to move up. Co-Workers are competent to do their jobs if the choose to be. Heavier the overtime has been, the more grumbling and foot dragging. With a cap on mandatory overtime being 1 1/2 to 2 hours beyond regular hours, a little basic planning easily keeps a balance with your life.