Working at Family Christian Stores — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Family Christian Stores pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Family Christian Stores

From Las Vegas, nv — 07/26/2010

I loved working here. Yes we had Goals that at times seemed impossible. But over all it was a great experience. I read the comments and as my manger said you represent the company but work for your manager. I was promoted from sales associate, to ICS, then SSA. Worked there for a total of 3 years. Most the costumers were great. Most the staff was good too.

From Northwest — 04/14/2010

Certainly, it is a good place for Christians to work and to fellowship but over the years, quality has been degrading within the stores. I hear from customers that they can order a product on Amazon or Christian Book websites and usually cost less and shipping takes less time. Customers say that we should have more of this book or CD on stock all the time. Customers tell us the bathroom is dirty. They also say you need another sales associate working up front since only one is working at cash register sometimes because the hours were cut. Because of the bad economy, some customers come in planned with only so much money and nothing more.
Does our store pray for one another together? No. Do I hear manager's enthusiastic voice encouraging our goals? Rarely. I have to tell my heart and brain that I can do it. The DM and RM seem to threaten us with fear. We do not work for commission or have not received pay raise in two years and we work hard for God.
World Vision is good to help foreign children with money but what about our own many American children, who live and share on this earth world, who need just as much help.
What's weird is some months, we have returns and promotion setup during the same week causing the work not to be done on time as needed. So we work off the clock here and there. If you clock in 15 mins or leave 15 mins later, they won't pay you because you can't work more than your schedule these days We used to get those 15 or 30 mins. on our paycheck. Partners bring in cleaning supplies because for some reason, we can't order certain things thru office depot or office max.
That's it, pray and good luck.

From Florida — 02/18/2010

Family Christian Stores has recently instituted the management technique of "management through fear". If this is the type of work atmosphere that YOU thrive in, go for it! FCS is divided into 3 districts. The district that covers the central US has been using this method and has done extremely well when compared to the East and West coast districts. Therefore, Corporate FCS has demanded that the DMs and SMs in East and West coast districts begin managing in the same fashion. Keep in mind that Family CHRISTIAN Stores is supposedly run with CHRISTIAN ideals and ethics. Family management also has the attitude of "whatever it takes to get the job done" ~ even if it means certain employees working off the clock or not taking breaks, which is illegal. These employees who work off the clock or don't take their breaks are not bad people, just Americans trying to keep their jobs! It was bad enough with sales goals which included trying to induce customers to go into Unchristian debt by pushing BofA credit cards and hard selling $5 items at the check out, now we have the added worry of losing our job tomorrow because we couldn't hit unrealistic sales goals in an economy that's in the toilet. I agree with other reviewers who posted about the traffic counter problems when it comes to large families, shoppers looking for another store, people just in the store to browse, etc. Also, quite a lot of our merchandise is junk made in China! I wouldn't buy most of the merchandise we sell! I also have a problem with the World Vision project. Are US children not part of a FCS "World Vision?" I NEVER hear of World Vision helping any American children or doing missionary work in the US. I've been with FCS for over 3 1/2 years and loved working here at first. It's been the best job I've ever had. But constant changes in management at DM and store level, high pressure sales tactics expectations and micromanagement are going to drag this company down. I really do believe FCS is a corporation that will not survive this recession/depression. Moving from Christian management/ownership to Secular management/ownership a few years ago was a huge mistake, in my opinion.

From clearwater florida — 11/21/2009

First of all, I want to say I love and have always loved Family Christian Stores, There is a peacefulness there, that is not found in other retail stores. My manager and my co-workers were the absolute best.: very hardworking, pleasant, joyful, and the most considerate bunch of people anyone could ever hope to meet. I consider it an honor to have worked there. I loved everything about my job and the customers. This is not a job i chose for the money. AND, if anyone should choose ANY job because of the paycheck, I pray they will wake up. God has a plan and purpose for every individual and nobody can be fulfilled in their job unless they find the place where God wants them. Everyone knows that retail typically does not pay big bucks. But in so many ways, this job was an answer to prayer. Given the current economics etc of course they ask the sales clerks to achieve certain goals. Wouldn't you expect that? After all, that's why we are there, to sell merchandise, correct? People come in to buy, and we help them find what they need. The merchandise comes in so that it can go out, so that the store can make a profit and remain in business. Come on people, dont be so rough!! Sure there are things that aren't perfect - sure they got a bit more demanding with the sales as of late - but it's that way everywhere, not just here! I worked here part time for 4 wonderful years. They were very accomodating and flexible with my hours. They kept me well informed, treated me very well, offered training as necessary, for example when new products came out we often had training dvd's so we could become familiar with the product. I will continue to pray for the staff because they are great and I love them, and although they may not be perfect, please don't forget, they serve the One who is.: Jesus! I sincerely hope other FCS employees will remember to note the many good things as they submit their reviews. I believe sounding boards like this tend to bring out the critical spirits bigtime. Therefore I will keep my complaints to a minimum, because, all in all, the good far outweighs the bad. I love this place.
I will keep FCS in my prayers and I hope you will too.

From Plainfield, IN — 09/21/2009

For 5 1/2 years, I was the ICS (Inventory Control Specialist) for Family Christian Store #193. In that time, I worked with a super staff that became like family to me. The work environment was never hostile or ugly, but was one of genuine friendliness and caring. Even when I traveled to other stores to assist with new store set ups, moves, inventories, or training other ICS's, I found other fellow employees to be helpful, gracious, and considerate. As a store, we did experience a couple of managerial changes while I was there, but thankfully each manager was great to work with - as well as the other managers within our district. As for salary, I was lucky in that I was hired in at a bit higher rate, which helped considerably when Family started having to cut back on ICS hours. As for the aspect of sales, I, too, had complained about the quotas and the marketing requirements, as I also worked as a cashier when needed. It was sometimes stressful to have to do "add-on" sales on top of what the customer was already purchasing. I found, thou, that when I was more positive and friendly with the customers, the more likely that they would consider the book or DVD that was being recommended. Attitude made a difference for me and the interaction with customers. As a whole, I loved my job at Family and I very much miss the staff I worked with. Unfortunately, I had to take a full time job elsewhere - otherwise I'd still be there. I've since learned that the kindness and warmth I experienced with my former coworkers cannot be duplicated. Still, I feel that I was extremely blessed to have been employed with Family and will remember it for the outstanding group of people I was privileged to work with.

From Grand Rapids MI — 03/13/2009

I've read through the multiple posts about FCS. I have worked for the company for 9.5 years. I've seen a lot of transition in that time. Some good, some changes left you wondering what was going on. But I do not recognize the FCS that these others are communicating on this site. The Leadership are quality people. Christian business people who care deeply about their ministry and business. From what I've read these other individuals came to FCS with the naive assumption that just because it was a Christian retailer they wouldn't have rules and requirements and quotas and sales. That is a pretty narrow-sited approach when you are going to work at a retail organization. How is FCS suppose to compete against a secular marketplace that continues to offer Christian products? How long would any of us continue to work if we didn't actively promoted sales and new products? Yes there are traffic counters. This is a way to measure effectiveness in the retail world. Sadly I've learned that just because you work for a retail organization does not guarantee that the people will all be great representatives of Christ. The stories of people who have cheated the company and the extremely creative ways they found to steal are fascinating and disturbing at the same time. I've done okay financially. I have grown in my opportunities here. I like to think it's because I've worked hard. I've been committed to the success of this company. And, I have tried hard to let my faith be my guide in interactions with others and how I perform my daily tasks. As far as Job Security, I don't know of very many businesses that can offer Job Security. But in the retail world we continue to see retailers close their doors. We continue to see retailers cut jobs. All due to a poor economy and lack of confidence in our Country recovering from this recession any time soon. Yet the job cuts have been very minimal in comparison to other retailers. It's always sad when someone loses their livelihood. But I doubt their are many businesses out there who have a prayer time devoted to those who have just been relieved of their duties and with the encouragement of Sr Mgmt to reach out to those who have lost their jobs. I read in another comment that unless you work in the Home Office or Upper Mgmt you have long hours and have to work weekends. Guess what? I work in the Home Office and I am frequently spending hours on my weekend working. Simply because I like to get the job done. It's not required, my supervisors have even asked me to spend less of my personal time working on the weekends and to make sure I keep a balance in my life. But I know that what I do is important to the success of the company. If it calls for me to sacrifice time on a weekend I will do it to assure the job gets done. As far as co-worker competence. I've read that people spend a lot of time playing foos ball. That was a ridiculous statement. There is a room that has a foos ball table. But people only spend time in their as a break from the routine. I don't see people over-indulging in that area. The people I work with are quality individuals and professionals. They work hard and care a great deal about their personal jobs and their personal ministries. I've never felt disrespected. I realize everyone has a perspective when it comes to their employer. I've rated FCS high in Work Environment because I've worked in the Christian retail industry and the Secular environment. There is no comparison. FCS is hands down the best place I've worked at. For those who still work here and have a different perspective. It might seem a little harsh but I would prefer that you find employment elsewhere, because if this is your attitude you will likely be happier elsewhere and we will certainly become more effective as a company and ministry if we find someone who doesn't complain at every turn. My thought is a person with a good attitude will likely perform better. Making it a win/win for the company and the employee.

From Alabama — 11/18/2008

When I started with FCS it was great. I loved the DM and being a manager was great. It was a ministry. Even in the midst of the 1990s boom the company was always at the verge of going out of business. In or about 1999 the company went from owned by a few of the upper mang to being owned by Madison Dearbourn. Things started to change.

Even with the inital change the DMs were great and helped me see that this was for the best. Sales were going well at my location and then one day we got the message that the pres. of the store was leaving. Now the real trouble began.

The new head guy was all business and my guess was he had not been to a Christian Bookstore in many years becasue the meeting that we meet him he used a song more than 8 years old to tell us the "saddle up our horses" things were going to change.

The year I spent under new mang was horrible. Every customer must buy or else, nearly all customers needed to buy an add on book, several customers needed to pre-buy items, a few each day needed to sign up for a credit card, and a few each week needed to sponser a child through world vision. If all of these goals were not meet--we were told to write up our associates and if it cont. we would be written up.

No longer were in house employees promoted to higher volume stores---outside experience was needed.

That was the last straw--no advancement available, too many forced requirements, had to schedule employees by a chart, and oh did I mention they started opening on Sundays. You would go from a normal week for mang. went from 60 hours to 70. Not the best enviroment for a family.