Working at Express Scripts — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Express Scripts pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Express Scripts

From orlando fl — 05/21/2010

I just started and am still in training but everything is ok not great. I talked to hr and I can get tution reimbursement as im going to school for pharmacy and they also said that I could move up to pharmacy tech once I get certified and can do my externship there so all in all a good company but by no means jumping for joy.

From Bloomington, MN — 04/29/2010

Pay - The pay actually isn't too bad. A new PCA can make base wage of $12.30 plus the potential to make an additional .50 to $2.00 an hour depending on their stats. ASC members start at a base wage of $15.30 with the same opportunities to make and additional .50 to $2.00 an hour depending on their stats as well.

Respect - I think this all depends on who you ask. I would say on a coworker basis the respect level is just fine. There are those people that freely talk trash about others behind their backs but I think you get that every where you go. As far as the member/employee level of respect I have to say that it's one of the lowest I have ever seen. I honestly didn't know that people could be so disrespectful on so many levels. I would say for the most part its heavily on the callers part but I know that some coworkers have mouths on them as well.

Benefits - Considering the fact that I see hundreds of different insurance plans on a daily basis believe me when I say our benefits aren't that bad. Granted they could be better but on the same token they could be far far worse. Copays are moderate and coverage is pretty decent. Then again I don't need a lot of coverage so maybe I'll have to revise my answer in the future.

Job Security - Our whole call center is on full panic mode right now. Express Scripts has closed down two call centers in the last year and didn't give much of a warning. Each time they close the center down they have what they like to call "Town Hall" meetings and it's never good news. They announced we're having a town hall meeting and promise everyone that the Bloomington call center is safe but we've heard those promised before and you can just ask our Farmington Hills and Albuquerque sites how well that turned out. Our major contract is being moved to other sites because it's "Cheaper" due to the contract terms. I understand that it makes good business sense but doesn't do well for job security or morale. But then again we have the whole paranoid job loss thing every so often any way.

Work/Life Balance - The thought of actually having a balance makes me laugh. Their idea of Work/Life Balance is that you have all work and you can use what little time you have left over towards your life. They tell you that they are always there to work with you but they pull things that are just unacceptable. When you're in training you can only miss one day. I know someone who had a death in the family and needed two days off during training. She was told Sure, you can go to the funeral but you won't have a job when you come back. They also hold the occasional mandatory shift bids. Based on several different factors your given a bid number so you could get a pretty good shift or you could end up getting something that just doesn't work for you. Maybe you need certain hours due to school, child care, another job or whatever but it doesn't matter. Either you work around their needs or you can find another job. They don't care. You're replaceable and they make sure you know that.

Career Potential/Growth - I don't find this a big of an issue as some others do. I have been with Express Scripts several years and have gotten promoted a few times. I do think it has something to do with who you know and how well you play their "Stat" games. They say it's about quality but honestly it's about quantity. Pumping out the calls improves the stats. The better your stats the higher your pay and they weigh it heavily when applying for positions. And I do mean HEAVILY. There are several people that are far better suited for positions when it comes to longevity and knowledge but lost out simply because the numbers weren't there.

Location - We're pretty centrally located. Right next to the highway which makes it nice for those that commute long distances. We have people that drive 40-50 miles to get to work. Not to mention those that drive in from Wisconsin to work here.

Co-worker Competence - There are employees that have been there for years that have gone though the old style of training and have learned the ropes through trial and error. These people I would trust to take care of my needs in a heartbeat. But the new hires? If I were to say that the newer (within the last 3.5 years) training program was a worthless piece of crap it would be a HUGE understatement! The old training program taught you everything there was to know about insurance and PBM functions. When you left training you could tell the patients the what, why, when, where, how of anything they needed to know and explain it in great detail. The new training, so called "Self-Learning" styled training, basically goes like this....you tell the member that the cost is higher due to an ancillary fee. But they don't explain to them what an ancillary fee is, why the member is being charged the fee or how to avoid it in the future and so on. They can give you the classic cookie cutter answer but only because the screen told them to. Anything further than that and you get blank stares. But then again the company doesn't value long term employees and what they bring to the table. You can and will be replaced before your desk is packed. And believe me when I tell you the group of supervisors swoop in like vultures when the pink slip goes out. By the time security is walking you out of the building someone will be handing you your box of belongings.

Work Environment - It's actually not too bad to be honest. The corporate building next door is really nice. Huge cafeteria, exercise room, nice auditorium, comfortable aesthetics and so on. The call center is your typical cube farm but we have a nice little cafe, a relaxation room, gaming room complete with a flat screen and wii, 24 hour cleaning service that does an awesome job picking up after some serious slobs. All & all not a bad place to work.

From St. Louis (Earth City), Missouri — 02/20/2010

Seems like there's a lot of negative reviews here, and I hear a lot of the same things at work...from new hires who want to sit around and do nothing and get paid.

I'm working at the pharmacy in earth city, which will only remain open for a couple of months longer until we all move into a new building by HQ and HQ2 in St. Louis. Because of the new facility and mass hirings, things are a bit frantic and we are seeing a lot of new faces, and loosing about half of them. I thought I'd share my thoughts and the things I have heard from people deciding that ESI is not for them:

*The jobs hired at this facility are not cushy pharmacy tech jobs where employees can slack and do nothing for half their day (like some slower retail pharmacies). Because of this, expect a more factory atmosphere where you are on your feet for most of the day and should be working hard. That said, the work is fast paced enough that before you know it it's time for your next break. If you take your breaks throughout the day (as you should) you will be working for about 2-2.5 hours at a time, which is child's play.

*The job involves a basic level of responsibility, quality, and speed. Balancing these three things means you will be working while at work (amazing, isn't it?). Doing crappy work will mean you will not be with us long, treat the order you are filling as if it were for your loved ones, and realize that it is for someone's loved ones.

*If your supervisor is not fulfilling their duties, and you feel mistreated, continue up the chain of command for conflict resolution. If your supervisor is "bad" you will find someone to resolve your issue at some point (whether that resolution is your reassignment, the supervisor being reprimanded, or merely a note going in a file, all resolutions are a process towards fixing your situation).

*If you don't like the pay and benefits you agreed to, then find another job.

*ESI like any other company these days, is an at will employer. If they don't have a use for you because a business deal went down badly for them, they shouldn't be held responsible to hire you. You can also quit at any point for the same reasons. If you were forced to sign a non-compete clause, talk to the person who tried to hire you and their legal department to work something out. Worst case take it to court yourself and argue it before a judge, depending on your local laws you will most likely be freed from that contract.

*I enjoy working for this company, would recommend it to anyone willing to put in 40 hours and be held directly responsible for their actions. I would welcome working with people with a good ethic.

From Orlando, FL — 05/06/2009

Hmm. what to say. I took this job because every place in Orlando was going under and cutting employees like crazy. The money is good enough and there's potential for bonus plus overtime is easy to get (nice!)At least people will always need their meds, so this seems safe. UNTIL you get hired, then you learn about all the coaching and writeups and termination worthy offenses. They TALK pro-active, but ACT reactive. Panic sets in for no apparent reason at the strangest times. The benefits are good, great insurance and I'm happy with that. Career growth? Hmmm..you have to go to church with upper mgmt to get anywhere (and you know who you are). The location is good, easy to get to from my house and it's clean and as comfortable as they can make it for a herd of veal (kept from outside light, outside influence and facing one direction). Nice caf' just opened. a little pricey and mayo-heavy, but good place to get away from the microwaved food eating crowd. As for work/life balance; heavily preached, but impossible to achieve since when you get home, you cut off the phone after having been on one all day and collapse into bed..not much balance. It IS exhausting. All in all, it pays the bills and as long as you keep to their impossible stats (like I do) you will have a job..Oh wait!! Make sure NOT to use the allotted PTO they give if there's no time left in the 'bucket' or you'll get a point..POINTS??? the all time dreaded point system. It's awful...if they hired the right people with the right character they wouldnt have to worry about chastising us with POINTS... But if you need a job and want to be herded like a veal at a place that is actually ok to work at IF you understand what they want of you, then join us. (where's my referral money for bringing in new employees? oh...there is none :(

From Harrisburg — 02/12/2009

The pay is good especially if you have been here for a while. I can pay my bills at least (lol) I think the people repect one another well and look out for each other. It seems whenever something bad happens to someone we do stuff to help them. We are a smaller than alot of other express scripts sites and everyone is always afraid we are going to close but we never do. The location is good but the site is a dump. Benefits could be a lot better I mean we are an insurance company right? Some supervisors are good although alot of people complain alot but considering what else is out there it is pretty good compared to my last job. We have a union which is good and bad sometimes it just seems the union protects the people who goof off or who are their friends.

From tempe, arizona — 07/26/2007

I worked at ESI for almost 4 yrs. The only way to move up is by being a corporare kiss a**. I had supervisors not know my job yet be the first to critique me on it. On the front end (customer service) we would get yelled at (from customers)for all the pharmacy screw ups. There would be meetings (information overload) weekly then emails shot out daily on how everything in meeting that was explained has now changed. (Oh and be sure to check your emails inbetween calls, but then get crap for being in after call!!) All sups came and went, fired, quit..guess they learned the kissing a** wasn't worth it. No respect for people that stayed long and did ther job no matter how challenging it is to stay that long. Perks were a ice cream, or pizza...wow!!.Computer sytems constantly would go out, which was always fun when a customer was yelling. Benefits..couldn't complain. Now that I'm gone I feel so free and happy, i get paid more and deal with less corporate bs. Esi was like a never ending hamster wheel in hell.