Working at Express — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Express pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Express

From Los Angeles — 10/02/2009

Pay- not much but what is expected from retail?
Respect- Lots of respect from managers and other associates. Often it is like everyone on on the same level as we work as a team
Benefits- Not much other than associate discount, but supposedly good if you become fulltime
Job security- never feel in danger of losing job. job isnt hard, so its not difficult not to meet expectation. If you are always tardy or just completely negligent, then it is obvious if you get terminated.
Work Life/Balance- very flexible when accomodating another job or school
Career potential/growth- you start as an associate, but you can be promoted to fashion expert rather quickly, and then the next steps are sales lead then co-manager
Location- many locations in malls thruout America
Co-worker competence- i like my co-workers and we work well as a team. Like i said before it not a hard job, so its not hard for everyone to be decent at what they do at Express.
Work environment- clean stores in malls. better than working in an eatery or boring office.

From Beachwood, Ohio — 07/20/2009

Pay: Not bad for a student or someone who is just looking for a part time job. It's retail, what do you expect?
Respect: To be honest, this is one of the more respectful jobs I have ever had. My bosses are great and nearly everyone is positive and great to work with.
Benefits: Besides the discount, theres not that much to speak of unless your management. but once again, it's retail!
Job security: I've never felt that my job was at stake.
Work/life: Asking for that occasional day off when my life gets in the way has never been a problem for me. The bosses are always very helpful.
Career potential: if you are enthusiastic and talented there's definitely room for growth. I've seen it happen.
Location: They are in malls all over
co workers: There's been a few people that make me wonder, but there's also been a lot intelligent and interesting people too. It's not all airheads.
Work environment: positive, energetic, not too bad overall

From Athens, Georgia — 10/10/2008

Pay: Eh. I started out at a little above minimum wage. Employees are eligible for merit raises once a year. There were different levels of merit raises. As a college student I really only needed to work to pay for my clothes. My parents were very generous so I was not really depending on this job for food. I think it would be next to impossible to be a full time associate and have ends met at such a low hourly wage. I left Express after I graduated to work for a dept store chain. The dept store pays a ton more than Express.

Respect: You have to give respect to get respect. And you have to do your job. Some people complained about not getting respect. Why should the manager respect someone when they are obviously sorry and lazy? The managers know who their good associates are. They would be fools to not respect them.

Benefits: Nada. Only full timers get them.

Job Security: It's relative. You have to do your job. Credit is huge and so are sales, but it's retail. If you meet expectations you have nothing to worry about.

Work/Life balance: Close to zero-but i didn't mind. You can have a life if you are ok with only working 8 hours a week. If you want more then you have to prove yourself.

Career Potential/Growth: Very little. I have a feeling like there's a glass ceiling if you try to go above store manager status. They don't offer much outside of the stores.

Location: You work in the store you want.

Co-Worker Competence: Same as in most jobs. You can't make people care. Just like everywhere else, some people are just in the job for the wrong reasons. People bitch about retail all the time. It's retail you idiots!!! It's not a cushy desk job!

Work Environment: I loved it. It was a college town and all of us were friends. It was a cohesive environment and there was actually teamwork-something I have yet to see in my post-college job.

All in all it was the best experience ever. I learned a ton at that job. I worked there for three years and wouldn't trade it for anything. I graduated with a Fashion Merchandising degree and my time at Express gave me an edge over 95% of my peers. I know how to do floor-sets and I understand the world of retail. I worked my way from an associate to a sales lead and I did it with blood, sweat, and tears.

If you work for any Limited Brands store for a length of time you can get ANY job you want in retail. They are hardcore but they train you to be some of the best workers in the industry. I now work for a department store and my interview was EASY. I owe it all to my time at Express and my manager there.

From Eastern US — 01/25/2008

1).Basically, every criteria that this job is evaluated on is based on how many credit cards you can get customers to open up. It is not a lie, your hours are predicated on how many credit cards you get. It only gets worse. The store managers PURPOSELY hire too many people. This only constricts hours and bolsters competition--to maximize the total amount of credit cards. Oh, by the way, when they hire you, they WILL NOT TELL YOU ANY OF THIS. I would say this job is comparable to being a car salesman--you should know what you're getting into.

2). Pay was decent. Make sure you put down on the application how much you want, especially if you have retail or SALES experience. If you're a rookie, expect minimum wage (also a cue that you're only temporary if that's what they give you but u wanted more).

3) Management. The store manager and few other managers were ok. The rest of management consisted of a handful of giddy 19 year old girls who consistently made mistakes and were downright obnoxious. They will talk your ear off about how they need to make a sales goal or credit goal for a certain segment. All you can do is nod and pretend that you're genuinely interested in what they have to say.

4).Job growth: only if you have a vagina or are gay. Or sell alot. Or get credit cards. Pick your poison.

Work enviornment: most shifts are 4-5 hours, but I've worked i think a 7 or 8 hour shift. You're on your feet the whole time pacing the store. It gets mind-numbingly boring after a few hours--and the music--oh god. You will have the music stuck in your head for days. Also you are powerless to do anything about shoplifters. It's really pathetic. People stole left and right from our store. Nope. We can't accuse anyone! might scare away the "good customers"

Location: I heard a few rare instances where people get bounced around from store to store, but for the most part, you pick where you work

Work/Life Balance: what bothers me is that the store management socializes with the store employees outside of work. Uh, any professional would know that it's a bad idea. This bolsters favoritism and in-store "cliques".

My advice is to not work here....there are better places

From Sioux Falls, SD — 10/03/2007

I love my job here with Express. I have bean with the company for almost 2 years as a secondary job. All of the management really cares about their empoyees. They do what they can to make it fun and upbeat. The pay is rediculous but its a pretty easy job to do. They do talk about credit cards but it is retail so thats expected. Its just a fun place to work and Ive really enojoyed it