Working at Erickson Retirement Communities — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Erickson Retirement Communities pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Erickson Retirement Communities

From Catonsville — 12/21/2009

I have nothing to say but positive things for Erickson Retirement. Great benefit package, good pay, emergency assistance loans, flexible schedules, GPP and annual bonuses. I bet no one was complaining about the company when the company was doing well and they where giving out bonuses to everyone when a new community was built out and occupied. Stop hating! Maybe some bad financial decisions where made, but in life we all have made bad decisions. It has been nothing but a great company to work for, and for you haters, go work at Wal-Mart and see how a large company treats you. Stop hating!

From Catonsville, MD — 11/11/2009

Everything written before is true. BeWarned before you work for this company. Before the bankruptcy, it was much worse, because everything 'looked' OK. It's all smiles at Erickson, its the "Erickson Way". More like Stepford Wives meets Disneyland. The hipocracy is amazing. Resdents joke the fences aren't to keep the bad people out, they are to keep the residents in. The fact is, the fences are there to keep the residents and employees in. When I worked there, I was told I couldnt take my lunch off campus at the McDonalds because "what if someone needs you". What if someone needs me? How about wait til I eat my sandwich? My boss asked me about my personal life and my finances and pried into my personal business including my family's medical problems. They bitched about where I parked. Needless to say, the boss was a jerk and faked that he cared about me.

The 100 best companies says its a great company bc u can bring your pet to work (look it up, its true). Who wants to bring a pet to work? That's insane. Erickson had a hundred people working to make that Top 100 list. It was a big company fraud. They hand picked who got to talk to the reviewers. Pets? Some lady was all gaga bc she was allowed to bring a goldfish to work. Crazy.

The residents are coddled and it makes them frail and helpless and they get senile quicker. Theyre scared of death and after awhile can't make a simple decision for themselves, like what to have for lunch. The campus is beautiful and new, the physical plant is top notch quality (its all polished wood and fresh paint. What do you expect, the place was brand new. They used to have retreats for the management until the money got tight, then it all mysteriously went away and everybody kept telling us everything was fine. Until the layoffs started. The company is run based on a Ponzi scheme, which requires ever increasing home prices in order to continue.

Coworkers were nice, and mostly normal. Those who were 'teachers pets' were wierd, however. If you don't 'drink the coolaid' here you are out. They are mostly hard working competant people who just want to do good and make a living. Once they figure the place out, theyre trapped there. Management ssays they value input, but they only want to hear that theyre right. Pay was good, but my mind was rotting away, bc nobody cared to hear my ideas. I had to get out.

From Baltimore, MD — 12/02/2008

The people and the work enrivonment at ERC are great. There is very little of the back-biting and "politics" that are present I've had to work around at other companies. If you propose new ideas and new ways of thinking about things, management is very open. The benefit coverage (especially health coverage) is very rich compared to other companies and the 401K match is great. People here, at all levels, really care about the residents (customers) and it shows in everything. It makes it fun to come to work every day.