Working at Epic Systems — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Epic Systems pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Epic Systems

From Madison, WI — 09/16/2010

Epic is a nice place to work - decent pay, amazing benefits, and great people. Moreover, it's in a sector of the economy that's still expanding. The training they provide is valuable all over the country. Not that most folks would want to leave Madison after having lived there a couple years.

That said,
1) the hours can be extreme (both in number, and in the 2 AM calls that occasionally come in)
2) the non-compete is used to make it very difficult to leave the job (and use that valuable training elsewhere).
3) they don't give references as company policy, which is a bit vindictive.
4) you may be highly trained, and extremely busy, but you'll still get stuck directing traffic in the rain at some point. (This is mitigated somewhat by the fact that it's true not only for the newly hired, but also for the division managers and higher-ups).

From Verona, WI — 07/18/2010

Pros:
Good pay and benefits, including for those of us who come from a more liberal arts/science background and may not have the same salary potential in other industries
Can create own growth path, lots of autonomy
Coworkers are smart and care about what we do, helping patients, everyone pulls their weight.
Campus is beautiful, great food as well.
Opportunity to do something important.
Challenges:
Epic expects a lot from employees in terms of effort and results, can be a challenge.
Changes happen rapidly.
As we get bigger, harder to do work that gets noticed outside of your role.

From Madison, WI — 07/07/2010

The pay is fine for right out of college. I make more than most liberal arts grads expect to make, I think, but nothing too special. The benefits really make up for it - health insurance is dirt cheap.

Work/life balance really depends on your job and your customer. I have friends who regularly work 60+ hours/week, and are still stressed out that they're not getting enough done. I personally rarely work more than 50, and that's going above and beyond - but I'm in a different job and I get paid less than an implementor. QA (my job) is really ideal if you want to have a family - all the benefits of Epic and it's about as close to a 40 hour week as you're going to get at Epic.

Career Potential = meh. Promotions seem kind of random sometimes and I really do wonder why some people are promoted to TL over others. After TL, there's not really anywhere else to go, for most people. They're big about taking responsibility even though you don't have a title, but usually what that means is more work without recognition or pay. It's a good job out of college, but if you have big career aspirations, use it as a stepping stone to somewhere better, don't look to move up internally.

Madison is great. Epic's campus is overkill great.

They like to tell you that they only hire the best and brightest and everyone is so smart. Maybe that's true...but it doesn't necessarily translate to competent coworkers. There's a serious lack of holding people accountable for not performing (this is probably due more to management competence than coworker competence). If they addressed small mistakes people make early on (this is most employees' first job so they should expect them to stumble a little at first), then maybe they wouldn't have to "surprise" fire people after they've been there for years and haven't had bad reviews. The combination of people inexperienced in the workforce in general with managers who aren't trained to manage people results in a lot of frustrating slip ups and mistakes and passive/aggressiveness down the line.

Overall, I really like working here, but I'm aware that the tables can quickly turn depending on who's in charge of you, what customers you get staffed on, and what team you're on.

From Madison, WI — 09/13/2009

The company would do well to go public.

From Madison, WI — 06/22/2009

I've been working at Epic for about 8 years now. I was warned that it is not for everybody even before I had my first interview; that's true, it's not for everybody. For one thing, I work with scary-smart people. In such an environment you have two choices: you can be intimidated or you can revel in the fact that just because you can't figure something out, there's no reason to believe the very smart guy / gal down the hall can't figure it out. I've chosen the latter option and it's turned out to be a great fit.

I periodically hear comments about how young and inexperienced our employees are. Itís true that most of them are quite young, but they arenít inexperienced very long. When Iím offered a choice between working with a new hire who is frighteningly smart and highly motivated, and somebody who is very experienced but no longer at the top of their game, itís an easy choice. We get ~40,000 job applications per year, from which we hire a few hundred people. We have the luxury of being very, very picky about whom we hire.

Epic is not for everyone. Most of the time people figure out whether or not it is a good fit in the first 6 - 12 months. In addition, we help them to figure it out if the can't figure it out for themselves. We fire people who aren't cutting it, which benefits both us and them. As I said, we hire scary-smart people, so if they can't cut it at Epic, they will still be a rock star somewhere else. In addition, nothing is more demoralizing for smart, hard-working people than working with someone who isn't pulling their weight. So letting the mediocre employees go makes the rest of the company stronger and improves morale.

Did I mention that it's not for everyone?

From madison, wisconsin — 04/19/2009

In the real world this would be 10 days vacation/0 days sick leave and 15 days of vacation in five to ten years. Stop whinning and be happy you have an excellent job working for a computer hippy. When the economy dies your job will go to India.

From Verona, WI — 11/14/2008

I worked at Epic for 7+ years as a developer. Left the company roughly 4 months ago.

Pay: I more than doubled my salary in my 7+ years. Starting pay was so-so but thru nice raises, I quickly felt like I was well compensated.

Respect: I respect the vision of the company. Being privately held in this industry is a huge competitive advantage as Epic can really put the patient and customer ahead of the shareholder, unlike most competitiors. I felt respected by the company for the majority of my time at Epic, until I tried to leave. They make it difficult for you to further your career outside of Epic with nonsensical non-compete agreements with customers, regardless of the reason for leaving.

Benefits: 401k is average. Only had 3 weeks of vacation after 7 years and you can only bank 8 days/year. Bonuses were meager compared to net income. I'm guessing this is due to the cost of the new campus but don't expect something more than a couple of thousand dollars in bonuses in a year.

Job Security: Great if you fit the mold of an Epic employee. Never once did I fear for my job but then again I did my work an didn't ruffle any feathers. Epic has fired people because of some questionable reasons. Do your work well, keep your mouth shut and you won't have any problems. Epic and the industry in general is booming. It's going to be a long time until the dirty "layoff" word makes its way around the halls of the Verona campus.

Work/Life Balance: Really dependent on your role and application you're assigned to. QA and tech writers seem to work more traditional 40 to 45 hour weeks. The other 3 major roles: implementation, developers, and tech services/EDI can vary. The 2 big determining factors for those roles are application and which customer(s) you're assigned to(the latter excludes developers). If you're in a more established application like Cadence (scheduling), life can be a bit easier. 45 to 50 hours is likely. If you're in an immature application like EpicRx or a speciality app, you can average 55 to 60. If you have a high maintenance customer that you're working with, 5 to 10 hours can be added to the totals I listed above. I was rather fortunate to be in a mature app so I usually average 50 hours/week. Averaging 60 hours is not out of the question. If you work closely with Judy, expect to work like a dog. She's incredibly demanding as she expects people to work as hard as she does, i.e. give up your life. Ballpark guess is she averages 90 hours/week and that might even be on the low end. Epic is her baby. She built it up from the ground. She's a micro-manager so just warning you if you're applying for any admin job. She's great for the company as customer's have great faith in her but she does have her drawbacks.

Career Growth/Potential: What you'll find is that you become incredibly marketable for your Epic software and/or cache programming skills. Both skills are in high demand but in low supply. Your only growth potential is outside of Epic because of the flat org chart. When I left, I was only 3 steps from Judy yet I left like I was 1000 steps away. Epic is controlled by roughly a dozen people. That leaves the other 3000 basically on the same level. Within that group of 3000, there are team leads (direct a group of 5 to 7 people) and group leads (direct a subset of team leads) but they have little power or pull. Your job title doesn't change so it's really no boost to your resume. There really is no such thing as a promotion at Epic.

Location: I'm a suburban-type so Verona, WI fit me perfectly. Madison area is small enough where you can live downtown and still have a 20 minute commute to Verona so if you like quasi-big city living, you can get that in Madison. Weather is cold in the winter but it's Wisconsin. What did you expect? I like seasonal changes so it never bothered me but if you have trouble withstanding 40 degree weather, it won't be for you.

Co-worker Competence: Most employees are bright, friendly, and helpful. Most are young as well. I thought I worked directly with competent people. There's not a prestigious school in the country not represented at Epic. Less than 1% of applicants get a job offer so there is a strong weed-out process. Where I downgraded this score was in terms of management competence. It starts out at the top. Judy is directing the company like it's 1995 where there were 200 employees and 10x fewer customers. Growing pains will exist given the growth of Epic but they've been magnified by upper management. Also, don't expect much from "middle management", i.e team leads. The main criteria to become a team lead is work ethic. How is work ethic determined? By basically looking at hours logged. I sat in on meetings to determine who should be a team lead and that's basically it. People skills, communication, etc are rarely considered. As a result, you have "leaders" in the company that have no business being a leader. They do train the newly "promoted" team leads but that training is a joke. If you self-motivated, you'll do fine. If you want some guidence and direction from time to time, pray you get one of the competent team leads. They exist but they're becoming a dying breed. I never needed much direction myself but I've seen many other team leads really just stink up the joint.

Work Environment: Excellent. Verona campus is beautiful. Can't imagine every experiencing something similar in my lifetime. Caf is sweet. Private offices are great. However, don't expect to have a private office once you start as there are many more employees right now compared to offices in Verona. Expect at least 3 to 4 years until you get your own office, or until you become a team lead. It's a casual environment, which is great because it can be stressful around Epic. I liked the stress as it kept things interesting.

From Madison, WI — 10/08/2008

I have worked at Epic for 2 years. Overall I think it is a great place to work. Epic offers a competitive salary at hiring and generous raises. If you are willing to work hard you will be respected. This does not mean 70 hour weeks. I don't know anyone who puts in 70 hour weeks, that claim is ridiculously exaggerated. I once worked a month of 55-hour weeks approaching a release of a new version of our software. My team lead insisted that I take comp time for my extra work after the release passed. If you are accustomed to a slacker job where you can surf the net all day this job is not for you. And you shouldn't be involved in healthcare software then either!
Epic consistently ranks above its competitors (often in the top position). This is not a ranking done by amateurs, but rather by industry users who have found that Epic software is preferred by users. Epic does not advertise, has almost no sales staff, and does not make deals. And they regularly turn away potential sales if they do not believe it is in the best interest of the organization to buy the software. I challenge you to find many other companies with such ethics.
I work with very competent coworkers. For once I am not a job where everyone is trying to cut corners. It is true that we have a lot of workers from India. So what? (No, I am not Indian.) Epic has very high standards and if this is how far they have to go to adhere to those standards so be it. They hire approximately 1% of their applicants.
The campus is extraordinary. The art may not suit everyone's tastes, but obviously how could it? Most is purchased from local artists at the annual art fair in town. Again, how often do you see this? The campus is built in an environmentally-friendly style: geothermal climate control, almost no construction waste, no run-off, low surface parking, and much much more. The kitchen serves subsidized food from local and organic vendors. For around $2.50 I get a great meal. And yes, I can have soda if I want - it's just not subsidized.
My benefits are also well above average. For $32/mo I have no deductible, no copay, free prescriptions, plus maternity, mental health, ... Not sure what more you could want there.
Also to note, the turnover rate is actually lower than industry standards. I don't know anyone who has been fired either.
As for Madison, I am not even going to try to sell it! If you don't want to live here, please don't. Personally I love winter. What I really love about it is that it filters out all of the pansies who can't defer to Mother Nature. So if living in a city that is consistently ranked as one of the best places to live doesn't work for you that's just fine. I'm sure you know better.
I will say that I don't travel in my position and I would not want to. This would not suit my lifestyle. If this wouldn't suit you either then you probably shouldn't take the job only to complain about it later. However, if you are looking for a secure job that will keep your brain active and reward you for your intelligence you may have hit the jackpot.

From madison, Wisconsin — 08/10/2008

I have been working at Epic for a year now. I am quite surprised to see a lot of negative comments about Epic in various blogs. As an Epic employee, I think I should clear up a few details. Its not the best company to work for but it is a good one.

I worked for about one year before I moved to Epic. There are two things that I am not very impressed about - programming language being used (Cache) and the weather in Madison. Epic is slowly migrating to C# from Cache. So Epic is addressing one of the issues. I don't think anything can be done about the weather in Madison. It gets horribly cold in winter.

There are many different roles in Epic. I have heard more than a few people complain about their jobs. It is mostly because some people get hired for positions that they do not enjoy. Most of the complaints I hear are from 'Implementers'. It is a role that requires a lot of travel. It is well suited for people who likes to travel around but if you are not one of those types you will most probably get frustrated soon. If you are planning to join Epic, make sure that the position that Epic offers is suitable to your personality.

I read quite a lot about people working for 70 hours and so on. I haven't seen any one here so far who puts in anything close to that. I typically work 40-45 hours a week. There are exceptions when a customer is about to go live with a product. But that is typical for most software jobs. But I have never had to spend more than 50 hours a week. A lot of it has to do with how organized you are. At Epic, we have to work on a number of things simultaneously. Its a bit like the time I was in the university. During exam week theres a lot of stuff to complete. If you haven't learned anything till then you will most probably end up studying for 70 hours. The mantra for success at Epic is to put in 40-45 hours of sincere work every week.

The thing I enjoy the most at Epic is the co worker competence. Most of them are very good at what they do and you will find someone to help you whenever you are struggling with something. The benefits and pay is good. The vacations and sick leaves are standard ( 14 days vacation/5 days sick leave for first two years and 21 days/5 days after two years ). The work environment is very good. You get your own office to work in instead of cubicles and in my personal experience that helps improve productivity. Job security is excellent provided you put in 40 hours of sincere work every week.

Most of the people at Epic are young. The average age is around 28. There is no dress code. We have a great campus to work in. We are encouraged to maintain a friendly relationship with our customers.

Epic DOES NOT sell their products to any one who can afford it. Epic usually selects their customers and as a result the customers that we have are typically well organized, professional and easy to work with.

There are better companies to work in but I would rate Epic 4 out of 5. I hope I have been able to provide a good picture of the pros and cons of working at Epic.

From Verona — 08/07/2008

Epic is a company that has gone through a transition from being the underdog to one of the leaders in healthcare software. It's a company for people that want to work hard, get rewarded, and can deal with ambiguity and pressure. Don't apply if you're looking for the same old thing everyday. You have an opportunity from day 1 to show your skills. There are times of high hours, stress, and working with customers that have 20-30 years of experience in their field. The company is relatively flat and has two people that make many of the decisions. Epic cares about their customers and the caring can feel as if it's weighted more on the cusotmers than the employees. Those that are willing to put forth the effort and have the aptitude can ascend quickly and be rewarded financially.