Working at Enterprise Rent-a-Car — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Enterprise Rent-a-Car pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Enterprise Rent-a-Car

From Denver — 06/08/2008

People who write about how much they hate Enterprise Rent-A-Car are the ones that most likely didn't perform at their job. I do agree that the hours are very intense, and that at first you might not make a lot of money for the amount of time you put into it, but if you perform at your job, you will be promoted very quickly. Also with each promotion becomes a very generous increase in salary. If you think you can handle working long hours and dedicating a strong portion of your life (at least for the first year or two) then Enterprise is a great company. However, if you have the attitude that by just showing up you will be promoted and get rewarded, than this company isn't for you, as it wasn't for most of the other people who reviewed the company negitively

From San Antonio, TX — 05/16/2008

Okay, I worked for Enterprise Rent a Car for almost 6 yrs. I started off as an Intern while I graduated college. Personally, I think that was probably the best thing that could have happened. I found out what it was like right away and knew it was a tough job right away and it would not be a job for someone looking for a "white-collar" job. I knew the pay was not great right away but didn't mind because gas prices weren't as high as they are now and I didn't have to pay my student loans back. When I graduated I was promoted to Asst. Manager and made decent money. Then after a year I was promoted to branch manager at a small store.

Now there lies the catch. To anyone out there working for ERAC make sure to take an under performing store where a manager was let go or quit. If you have what it takes and are good to your employees they will help you turn that store around and your commissions will be NICE!! This is because they will base your commissions on the underperforming store's numbers and if they do that basically your commissions will be zilch, so they will be forced to get close to maxing out your commission % (make sure you negotiated the highest % if possible and use the bad numbers the store has as a bargaining chip) Now if you turn the store around and make Decent to Awesome OP your commissions will be NICE. Take this from personal experience it worked for a couple of managers I knew and for Me. I was able to make about $30K in commissions plus my regular salary. I eventually grew tired of the long drives every morning and night. Stuck in traffic for 2 hours every day and as my family grew, I was unable to spend much time at home with my wife and kids. I left the house and my kids were just waking up to go to school, I arrived at home and my kids were already in bed or just about to go to bed. So there is no work life balance. The benifits are always increasing every year just like any other companies benefits. The Respect is their if you treat your employees nice and reward them for their hard work. I only had 2 employees quit on me in 4yrs as a manager and most thanked me for being the best manager they had. Co-Worker Competence was above average since most employees were in college or at least college graduates. Work environment is okay but I always wondered why they selected used run down buildings and now I know why....CHEAP RENT!! and More $$ for Area Managers.

This job will be HELL if you are looking for a "Cake Walk". If you don't mind getting dirty and sweating and working VERY LONG HOURS then go for it. Just remember that this opportunity with ERAC is a Damn Good Stepping Stone to land another HIGH PAYING Job. It worked for me. New Career in Sales with Company Car, Gas Card, Spending Allowance, Laptop and WORK FROM HOME!! Trust me you are not trapped if you work for ERAC.

From Durham, NC — 04/21/2008

maybe it's just my manager, but i love coming to work every day. what job can you get where you DON"t work hard? I've got a kid and would like to see them a little more, but we've got flex-time, good benefits and a nice office. I get support from my area and regional managers too.

From Hoover, Alabama — 03/28/2008

Pay: The pay is great, for a new grad. no work experience and obviously no specfic trade or specialized degree. You can't start off at the top, and enterprise is based on hard work. People that complain about the pay, have no basis or can't manage their own pocket books.

The harder you work the quicker you make more money - simple!

Respect: Co-workers, well, in any job there will be people hard to get along with or do not respect their co-workers.
From the public, sometimes less than I would feel I deserve, for sure but, remember, you work with the general public. They are not the nicest people and they are like that with everyone, not just you at enterprise. Jerks are jerks regaurdless of what they do or where they are. All you whinney people need to stop complaining.

Benifits and Job Security: GREAT!!! Full health, dental, eye, 401k, I could go on and on. Privatly owned company no layoffs, young co workers, they won't fire anybody, they just let you quit on your own: ) The weak can't hang

Work Life Bal: Well here is the only down fall. Enterprise gets in your head and you can't get away. It is long hours, but you choose to work there. Don't complain about a decision you make daily to follow. There are long hours though and sometimes the CUSTOMER IS NOT RIGHT AND YOU WANT TO GO HOME!

Career Growth: Your career is yours to take. There is no where you can't go with this company

Location: Where is there nt one - Not true about having to move to move up, lived in the same spot been promoted and going stroug

Co Workers: Where else do you get to work with all 20 or 30 year olds and run a multi billion dollar company?

Work Enviroment: I love my job. I have meet some of the coolest people thru my work, my job is a challenge every day and I feel like I accomplish something by just helping one person each day. No job is perfect, unless you don't work for money and inherently are rich. This company is one of the top ten companies to work for in the nation. It teaches are lazy generation to work and take pride in your job. Lazy, quick tempered, easy way out people don't cut it. It's not the jerks that we work for, but the one customer that you make smile because we went above and beyond to make sure they got what they needed. A vehicle, a smile, and a new friend.

From Northern VA — 03/24/2008

Pay: $35000 for an MT, which seems ok until you consider that you only make that much if you get the bonuses and work at least 50 hours/week. When calculated at a normal work week (40 hours) and minus bonuses (because we all know that a strong base pay is equally important) we'd be making in the low 20s, BEFORE taxes. That's crap.

Respect: From customers: none. They treat you like garbage especially if you are an attractive woman. From management: it's fine until you start talking about any problems you have with your job and then it's all downhill from there.

Benefits: they won't even pay you your days off once you leave, so take them before your last day!

Job security: definitely. This company is growing quickly and will have many opportunities.

Work/life balance: 50+ hours/week - what do you think? 7am - 6pm (and 6pm usually means 6:30 or 7) plus sometimes working Saturdays...if you work at an airport you have even less free time.

Career potential: of course, as long as you can put up with the positions below Area Manager.

Location: come on, awesome! I could walk to three ERAC offices from home. Doesn't make up for anything though!

Co-worker competence: ok. I feel like the managers may have degrees, but barely. It's like they all got 2.0 GPAs, almost flunked out, still party like frat boys, etc.

Work Environment: fine inside, but cleaning cars while wearing a suit in 90 degree weather or in freezing temperatures is not what I thought I'd be doing with a college degree. I graduated with honors, shouldn't I have a better job?? ERAC sounds good at first, but a few months in you should realize how crappy they are to their employees.

From Tampa, FL — 02/13/2008

You other losers that can't hack an ENTRY LEVEL job, deserve to scrub toilets... Good luck sweeping the streets.....

From Lehigh Valley — 01/26/2008

Easton PA has a new manager who sleeps with her coworkers, lies to customers and doesn't have the slightest bit of self confidence. Carry your chubby butt with some dignity. I hope ur branch suffers and that the slum lords of Easton crash all your vehicles, your employees get in wrecks and you have so many stolen vehicles that you cry yourself to sleep while the tears roll off onto the donut crumbs in your bed. Your hiring shows you just how unfair this company is. I can't wait to see you go down and I hope I have a hand in it.

From North Carolina — 01/06/2008

I have been working for ERAC for 3 years, and you people complaining are idiots. First off, this is a great place to work. As for those of you complaining about the money, you never worked your way into management, you sucked at this type of job,"IT IS A JOB IN SALES", selling yourself, your products, and your business. Anyone who is or was a business major in college is making a great decision by starting you working life at ERAC. The hours are excessive, and yes it is by the hour when you start, but as soon as you get your first Assistant Manager spot, you go to salary and commision, and if you are good at what you do and can train your people bellow you, you will make plenty of money. This job pays based on effort, your hard work in the begining pays your boss, when your the boss, it works the same way for you.
Respect is something that you earn, at ERAC, you have the ability to meet business owners and executives of other companies, while selling yourself and your business to them, "THIS IS GROWING YOU AS A BUSINESS PERSON".
Benefits are what they are anywhere, you have them.
Job Security, yes it is rare to be fired for anything, driving record is the leading reason, and making a huge ass of yourself in front of the wrong executives would do the trick as well, but nothing you wouldn't get fired for anywhere else.
Work Life Balance is a struggle, but you have to make give a little to get a little.
Career Growth, This is the game set and match. This is 100% of what you make it, like I said before, people complaining just weren't made out for this, but you work hard, and they do reward hard work. I have been promoted 5 times in 2 years, all with pay increases, some they gave me, some I got from hard work, again this is commision based.
Location, their are 100's of thousands of offices and more opening daily.
Co-Work Competence, 90% of the people I work with are the cream of the crop, the other 10% are idiots, I will admit, but there are plent of those in any job, I assure you of that, but those idiots are the same ones calling everyone else the incompetent employees, "THERE ARE A TON OF INVIOUS PEOPLE".
Work Environment, you make it what it is, I make my offices a fun and friendly place to work. I love to have fun and and play stupid office games to keep up moral, and the almost every person I have been in the office with have become my friends.

So that is that, to all those people who hate ERAC, I wish the best for you, but GM is in my future.

From Group 10 — 01/03/2008

Overall ERAC wasn't so bad. Who am I kidding it was downright depressing. I haven't worked for them for several years but after looking at the postings, things haven't changed much. The customers were the worst. Always blaming us for their incompetent driving or their soup bone insurance coverage. (THAT'S RIGHT SOUP BONE. A GROUP 49 SAYING). I will say some of the closest friends I ever made came from ERAC as well as my work ethic and character. It says something about yourself if you can shovel 2 feet of snow, then get yelled at by a customer who can't leave a $50 deposit and threatens to call your manager because they don't like the upgrade you gave them even though it replaced their 91 Taurus with 3 tires and a doughnut. And what about your suits and shoes..My lord. I would buy so many new clothes only to see them ruined by a shop vac or car wash..The body shop and dealers were awful to work with as well. It sucked to kiss their asses. The worst was knowing that Billy Bob was actually making more then us.. I can't believe I made it four years. I love my days at ERAC but glad I left. It opended huge doors for me to make great money AND would hire almost any old ERAC'R to work for me..

From St Louis, MO — 01/03/2008

I'd like to give a review from a slightly different perspective... I actually never worked in a rental branch, nor have I ever wanted to. I landed a "hot shot" job with one of the departments in the corporate office after working for about a year in a 'call center'. After reading these reviews however, it seems the vices of this company go across the board and aren't isolated to rental car branches...
Pay: Even being at the corporate office, it's possble to only make $10 - $16 per hour and mind you over time is frowned upon at corp. We were only allowed a maximum of about 2 per week if any. Just think of waking up at 5:30 in the morning every day, getting out your black or navy blue suit (that ERAC graciously helped you buy by giving you a gift card to Macy's and deductiing it out of your paycheck). You do your hair, make sure those shoes are shined and roll up into the corporate parking garage, yes, the pearly gates, in your '94 Toyota Camry. Very disheartening to see that you work so hard every day and look your best and at the end of the day you are given peanuts... not nearly enough to enjoy after you pay all your bills. And forget it if you there are more than just yourself to take care of.

Respect: I didn't see many problems with respect from co-workers, but your managers will crap all over you.

Benefits: I dont' complain too much about benefits. Its been what I needed when needed it. But again, God forbid if you have other dependents.

Job Security: Everyone is right in these reviews... Enterprise will NEVER fire you. You have to really TRY to get fired.

Work Life Balance: I gave a 0 because a lot of over time isn't worked by salaried employees... but they sure do forget about you some times. All the happy hours and team outings in rental are non-existent at corp.

Career Potential/Growth: There is always potential to make a lateral move. As far as moving up, it really depends on the department.

Location: I was fine w/ the location. Was only a 5 min drive from home!

Co-worker Competence: It all comes down to who trains you...

Work Environment: I think in all realms of Enterprise you'll find a bunch of immature, type A personality, red bull drinking frat boys and sorors. If you are like me, and take pride in how you present yourself at work, you'd get tired quickly.

So, if you are in rental looking to go to corp, the grass is not always greener on the other side. For me, I just worked way to hard for the amount of pay and respect that I got from this company. The only thing looked foward to is the big Christmas, excuse me..HOLIDAY bash downtown.