Working at Enterprise Rent-a-Car — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Enterprise Rent-a-Car pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Enterprise Rent-a-Car

From Chicago, IL — 07/04/2008

PAY - I've been around 10+ years, so pay is fairly good for my years out of college and experience level. Pay at the beginning is horrible for the work you are doing. When I was hired, this was explained to me, which made it more "palatable". If your recruiter doesn't tell you the hours are long, the work is hard, and you will be washing cars in a suit then they aren't being honest. I was also told, however, that if I could get thru the first 2 years there would be plenty of opportunity both in and outside of daily rental. The opportunities were there and now the pay, and the job are great. I'm no longer on the rental side....and no, I'm not a recruiter, nor am I in HR.

RESPECT - I've played the game (like you need to do at any company). I'd like to think I'm smart, outgoing, great with people, etc. Have a been an outstanding performer all 10+ years? No. Have I been respected? Yes. Of course, if you are in rental you are dealing with the general public and no - they won't always respect you. This never bothered me too much. I have a general dislike for the general public, however - so this was easy to brush off. If you are an incredibly sensitive person, daily rental is not for you.

BENEFITS - Benefits are very good. Could they be better? Yes. I get more vacation than any of my friends, a 3% (Max) 401K contribution, profit sharing (you are not 100% vested for 7 years but are 20% after 2 years I believe. (Mabe 1?) Dental could be MUCH BETTER. Only a 50% co pay up to $1000 per year. Kind of sucks if you need any ajor work.

JOB SECURITY - Pretty good, actually. If you have a long history of poor performance, then yes, you could potentially loose your job. I've seen them steer many people into other departments first, however, to avoid having to fire them. It does happen, though. (As in any copany I'd imagine)

WORK/LIFE BALANCE - eh. Not great. They do have "flex" time for rental branch employees...but missed hours is missed pay when you are hourly. If you are in a non rental branch position they do not allow for any work from home days and for that reason I think they really miss the mark in this area. There are plenty of higher level admin job or level 3 rental management jobs that could have work from home days/hours.

CAREER POTENTIAL/GROWTH - Very high turn over for Management Assistants. Again, long hours, hard work. HOWEVER - there is an incredible amount of growth as they only hire from within. If renting cars isn't your bag, you can get into Human Resources, Outside Sales, Risk Management, Recruiting, Fleet Services, Car Sales, etc. Enterprise is all about the long term. The longer you stick it out, the better the pay and the greater the opportunity.

LOCATION - Always a non-issue for me.

Co-WORKER COMPETENCE - Since they hire college grads you are usually dealing with fairly competent people - although I've certainly et my fair share of idiots who were college grads (This is anywhere)

WORK ENVIRONMENT - I've been lucky to have always worked in a good environment. Here's the thing: if you are easy to get along with, are a team player, etc you are going to get along just fine.

Here's the deal - If you know what you are getting into and you can roll with the punches and deal with a general public that is filled with idiots and a$$holes, you will be fine. If you can get past that, and work hard, and have a good attitude then you stand to do very well. I'm not a kiss a$$, but I'm a fairly positive person and know how to deal with lots of different "personalities". I don't get worked up too easily...which is how I got through the rental days. I moved into the admin/corporate side after a few years and am now in a mid to upper management position. I get paid very well, work with great people, and have some flexibility in my day-to-day life. Going back - would I have chosen ERAC? I don't know. I don't refer friends or family anymore because I know how hard the first few years are. But hey, it's a tough job market out there. I'd consider taking the job if offered - and stick it out for a year (if for no other reason than to build a resume). if you HATE it, you have now worked for a company that is respected....and other companies LOVE hiring former Enterprise employees. Good Luck with your career - wherever and with whomever it may take you.

From Los Angeles, CA — 06/28/2008

There were good and bad things about working at ERAC. Eventually the bad outweighed the good and I left. Pay was HORRENDOUS, hours were OUTRAGEOUS, your life becomes ERAC. The only good thing I take from this job was that I met a lot of awesome people and it looked good on my resume.

From NJ — 06/19/2008

I have to agree with a lot of the post on here, no job is perfect but overall I feel that Enterprise has done right by me.Been here through the good times and the bad and I dont believe all the rumors about them wanting to get rid of employees, we are operating at a bare bones work force now. If they did that now, they would be cutting their own throat. I for one am going to stick it out and hope we get through this mini recession!

From St. Louis, MO — 06/19/2008

When being hired they brainwash you stating that E is respectful company. After working there after 1 year you slowly realize this is untrue. Their moto is "Honesty" and "Integrety". BLAH BLAH BLAH. Enterprise will and can not handle honesty because they fear their employees are "Unprofessional". E do hire the best employees I have worked with, but many has been disregarded or not promoted because their manager is not listening. Yes. Managers do not listen to their employees because they can't handle the facts and the "honesty" these employees are saying. Their manager want is gossip so they can find out what is going on with other departments. Come on. Enterprise can't handle the truth and honesty of their workers.... Work/Balance please. The people who are getting promoted are the go getters.. Yes. That many times leave behind the family folks with husband and kids who value their home life. These folks value their family first then their job. It SICKENS me when family value employees are not considered for a promotion because they can't make the extra mile. Is it their fault! No. The company does not consider the day-to-day basis these folks encounter. These type of employees are not promoted unless they become workaholics. I will have total respect for a company who value these type of individuals especially coming from a family owned company like Enterprise.

From Los Angeles, CA — 06/15/2008

I dont know why everyone is on here dising enterprise. I worked here in LA for over three years and they treat me like gold. I guess its cause I am a people person and that is what it takes to make it in this business. I have a lot of regular customers who fly in and rent from us and we almost feel like family. You can tell with a regular by the look on their face how they are doing. All it usually takes to get them to perk up is a smile and a nice word from me. We are only as good as our customers see us. Keep the faith and keep smiling.

From Columbia , SC — 06/15/2008

I work seasonal with enterprise, I get about 15-20 weeks a year and it helps supplement my social security. All I have to do is drive back and forth between Augusta and Atlanta twice a day and get paid for it. Plus it keeps me busy.

From Boston, MA — 06/15/2008

I just work here part time while in school. The best thing about Enterprise is they let me work around college courses. Great stepping stone company.

From Denver , CO — 06/13/2008

I like working at the airport office, the customers are a lot more professional there. I used to be in town, having to deal with the weekend crazies who always brought the rentals back nasty. The only drawback at the airport is my hours are midday to evening so I have to take my classes in the mornings. Bla.

From CA — 06/13/2008

Pay: As a college student, the pay didn't seem too terrible considering I have always worked part-time and only made anywhere b/w 200-300 bi-weekly. With Enterprise, you start off making anywhere b/w 800-900 bi-weekly depending on # hours worked. This is not horrible for someone who lives at home and has no bills or car payments - but realistically - no one wants to live at home forever and we all need a car to drive. Therefore pay is borderline poverty and you have to work 50+ hours to get this money.

Respect: Accounts and customers have NO respect for you. When I tell people that I have a degree, they always ask me what I plan on doing with it. In other words, no one in their right mind considers Enterprise a career for a college grad.

Benefits: Good. You get medical, dental, prescription, and can add on anything like vision, life, etc. Another benefit most do not mention is that you get a week of training, all expenses paid, and your managers will treat you to lunch every now and then. There are also branch, area, and regional activities like happy hours, dinners, bowling, beach parties, etc. These can be fun, but the downside is that Enterprise already takes up so much of your time that you sometimes dread having to spend even more time with your co-workers no matter how fun the event may sound.

Job security: I honestly think your job is secure as long as you don't steal from the company. You can come in late, wreck cars, and do all sorts of stupid things and they won't fire you.

Work/life balance: ABSOLUTELY NONE!!! THIS IS WHY I QUIT!!! Working all those hours is horrible. All I do everyday is wake up, work, come home, shower, and go to bed. There is no time for anything else and your weekends are spent doing everything else like chores, laundry, and finding a new job. Most of the time you still have to work Saturday too and that kills everything.

Career Potential/growth: I guess there is some. I do see people get promoted after about a year or so with the company, but it's all based on sales and numbers and not necessarily how hard you work. I am personally very hard working, am always punctual to work, and provide great customer service. However, because I have not hit any sales goals, I have not be recognized for anything.

Location: I live 10-15 minutes from my current office, but Enterprise will move you all the time, including to airport locations. I was already moved once after 4 months. Before you know it, you can tack on an extra couple hours for commute time into your work day. Then you'll really have no life.

Co-worker competence: Enterprise hires college grads. Fortunately at the first office I was at I had great co-workers and incredible management that knew what they were doing. We really did get along well and had fun in the office. Once I got transfered to a new office, all that went down the drain. You have to learn to adapt to a new team and that can seriously ruin the flow of business. It is common to move around at Enterprise and some people handle that well, but I personally take time to become comfortable around strangers so moving for me is difficult.

Work environment: Enterprise is supposed to be fun, but rarely is it. Most of the time I stress over getting lost trying to pick up customers, stress about what the customer will be like once I pick them up, or stress about not having cars to rent when the lobby is full of angry customers. Enterprise is STRESSFUL. Dealing with customers, working long hours, and driving most of the time is a pain.

From Orange County, CA — 06/08/2008

Pay: Is almost laughable. Anyone that is competent enough to get hired at ERAC can easily make twice the money in any other entry level sales position. However, if you stick with the company and make it to area manager level or beyond you are pretty much set for life. You've just got to be able to seriously make ends meet and ignore all of your other friends making decent money for the first 5 to 7 years.

Respect: Depends on who you want respect from. If its your coworkers or managers, than definitly. THey've all been in your shoes, they will respect you. If its your customers or non-ERAC employees, forget it. If you don't care about outside respect, it shouldn't be an issue.

Benefits: Are pretty good, typical of a corpoarate company. It takes a while to become fully vested, but as ERAC is looking to reward employee loyalty, this is typical with their company.

Work/Life Balance: As long as you are single without other commitments, its great. ERAC is like working for a fraternity - you are expected to attend company functions at least once a week and hang out with your coworkers outside of work. If you are looking to make friends, this is DEFINITLY the comapny to do it in. The people are cool and fun, and company functions never leave you wanting more.

Career Potential: If you can stick out the first 5 to 7 years, the potential is awesome. The good news is most don't stick it out-which improves your growth potential. ERAC rewards loyalty, and promotions come often if you work for them.

Location: I would pass 11 (seriously - 11) other ERACs on my half hour drive to work. On the upside, once you hit manager they pay for your car and gas, so the location doesn't matter unless you are concerned about your time. They do not take your residence into account when they pick you for an office.

Co-worker Competence: ERAC is picky about who they hire, so you generally get competent employees. They all get the same training, so its not typically an issue.

Work Environment: Your co-workers are great, you will likely love them all. The company takes care of you after-hours, but you are thrown to the wolves during business hours. You must have thick skin to handle the cusotmers, they will yell on a daily basis and blame you for things beyond your control, and you have to listen with a smile on your face.

End Result: If you can handle upset customers in return for a few drinks after work with some cool people, this is the place for you. Be prepared to put in your time before you see any real rewards, but the rewards are significant once you get there. I couldn't handle the customers and pay after two years so I checked out for a much better paying job, and immedialty becaome part of the "ex-factor club". The ex-factor club consists of all former ERAC employees, and means you are almost immediatly shunned by your still-employeed friends. ERAC is very similar to a fraternity - once you are gone, you might as well have not existed in the first place.