Working at Enterprise Rent-a-Car — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Enterprise Rent-a-Car pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Enterprise Rent-a-Car

From USA — 09/08/2010

I haven't thought about them in years, but when I did work there, it was the worst expereince of my life. I was fired after I told them I had to attend a funeral for my brother in law. The manager was a real prick telling me he can't have people who have a family issues working there. It had been a real stressful week for obvious reasons so I and ended up punching him out in the parking lot for that comment. For the record, he bled red...not green. By the way, I went to work at the rival car rental company in the same town as the manager and put them out of business. Not too hard since most of the dealers and body shops in that area were pissed off at them anyways. That particular manager was fired I heard. Karma is a bitch. Peace out!

From Birminhgam, AL — 05/27/2010

Enterprise is a very difficult place to work. It's kind of like boot camp for the real world. If you survive, you become a superstar leader if not, you become a mediocre employee. I worked for Enterprise in my early 20's and its a good job if you do not have a family to try and balance work and home. The cons are long hours, irritated customers, and quite a bit of labor work in suits and heels. The pros are excellent training, excellent leadership developed skills, potential to move up fast and getting to drive a free car with free gas. But take note, MANY companies out there love and respect Enterprise for the training they give their employees and recruit the Managers on a regular basis. I have been offered numerous jobs since I left Enterprise. I have never had to look for work so far, it has found me. And when I say "I was a manager at Enterprise" is almost instant they want to hire me. I am now a Vice President at a Financial Institution and Enterprise Rent A Car is the company that helped me get to this point in my life. Its all about sacrifice to have what you really want the most. Think about it. Only the strongest survive and all weak links are eliminated intentionally. Enterpise weeds through to find the leaders and them offers them to others Fortune 500 companies as they reach certain levels of their lives such as having children, etc.

From INDIANA — 04/22/2010

I think that all of the people on here complaining about working for Enterprise are a little dramatic. First of all, for the job that you are doing, the pay rate isn't that bad. Its not like its a hard job. Like anything, yes you have to put in the time. I workk an average of about 50-55 hours a week. I am not even 25 years old and making the kind of money that I am. I am very proud of the work that I do and very proud to work for Enterprise.
If you think you can make more somewhere else, go somewhere else. If you think you work too many hours, take your lazy asses to work for somewhere else. Sure there are better jobs out there, where you dont have to work, and you can sit on your butt all day and make six figures plus. If you want one of them, you should have worked harder in college and got a different degree. This is business and in business you work for what you want.
Enterprise is a great company to work for. it is sad that so many people had such bad experiences working for them in one form or another. To people looking to work within this company, see for yourself what the oportuninty can do for you. And think about the fact that these people complaining no longer work there and that it may be them not the company. Not to mention it is a national business where there are different job levels and different managers and people.

From Charlotte NC — 04/11/2010

The company is great, Paul is one of the best VP's around. He has a great group of Area Managers around him.

From Tampa — 03/31/2010

The only people that are paid well is upper management (GM/Controller). We work very hard for no money

From Birmingham — 03/20/2010

I was with Enterprise for 3 years and had a great experience. You will get out what you put in and will be rewarded for your success and hard work. Within 8 months I was an assistant manager and a year later I was running my own branch. I am not suggesting working for ERAC was easy at all; especially as an MT however once you have grilled and hold a management position "you" decide how your business and career progresses. There aren't too many companies that will give you profit and loss responsibility 1.5 years out of university.
Its not a career for everyone. If you have a positive attitude, enthusiastic and have the drive to succeed and will put in the hours you could do very well. The hours are long, pay as a trainee is below average however after you grill your income is controlled by you (like many sales roles). All of my trainees were promoted to assistant manager within 1 year and were still with the company when I left.
For most its not a life long career however it will give a lot of training and experience for your career.

From TN — 02/02/2010

Over 6 years - still love it.
Sure, I worked hard... but I work hard anywhere that I employed.
I have been promoted many times and work for a great boss.
I am paid well and feel rewarded for what I have put in....

From TEXAS — 12/26/2009

Don't buy all these horror stories.

Pay: Tough while starting out, but most companies that don't require a specialized degree are going to be this way...hate to break it to you. The pay gets better.

Respect: The people I work with are very cool. I am respected 100%. Like any job, there are times when mgmt asks me to stay late, or change my plans, but you've just got to keep a positive attitude about it and know that it will pay off eventually.

Benefits: I don't have a lot to compare to, but seems fine so far.

Job security: Work hard, don't complain, perform every day and you will keep this job for however long you want.

Work/life balance: It's tough, but you get used to it. I worked in the restaurant business so I was on a terrible sleeping schedule. I thought I would never adjust to the early and long hours of ERAC. About a month into it, it's not that big of a freaking deal. So many whiners on this site. I will say this...I am single by choice, and it would make it a lot tougher if I were married. That's why they like to hire people right out of college.

Career potential/growth: As with other companies, promotability has slowed some. Still, I guarantee if you work hard, keep a positive attitude, and perform, you will get promoted...over and over again. ERAC isn't a sprint, it's a marathon. I've mentally quit the job several times, but then you just get back on the horse and keep plugging away. It would suck to be stuck in my position for the rest of my career, but that's not how it's set up. You've got to buy into the concept, set your goals, and make it happen. There is a guy above me that has been with the company for about 12 years, and he makes 400k. That is insane. He is great at what he does, and he stuck it out through the tough times, and obviously it has paid off.

Location: I am where I want to be, and could move if I wanted.

Co-worker competence: My coworkers are great people. There are going to be bad seeds in every bunch. There are times where I think to myself that someone above me isn't as qualified as I am, but that's a freaking job! Work hard and pass them right up.

Work environment: It's a nitty gritty job, and it's not for the faint of hearts. Yes, you have to wash cars. It's not fun, but that's why it's called work. Yes, you deal with crappy customers that have no respect for anything...not for themselves, not their rental cars, and not for you. It's sad that there are so many people like that in this world, but that's life. You can't take it personally, and yes it can be draining, but it just makes you stronger. It's easy to forget all the great customers you deal with when the bad are, well, really bad. If you are unfortunate to get stuck in a branch where your management and co-workers have no sense of humor, this job will be much tougher. You deal with a lot of crap and you've got to be able to have that release.

The bottom line: I have been with ERAC for less than a year, so I still am at the crappy starting out stage. It will get better. ERAC puts you through the meat grinder from the get-go. The ones who can stick it out and see the big picture will and do succeed. It's a pretty darn good way of finding out right off the bat who is going to be a hard worker and a candidate for the upper levels of the company. If you are lazy, it's not for you. If you have a bad attitude in general, it's not for you. If you can't deal with crappy people and learn to smile and let what they say go in one ear and out the other, it's not for you. If you have a family, it's going to be tough, no doubt. At the two-year mark, I will look back and see how far I've gotten. If it is worth staying, I'll stay, if it's not, I'll leave. I've got goals, and plan on making them happen. A last note, other companies are very eager to hire former ERAC employees. Most know that you get a great education in the business (if you actually try at it) and they know that ERAC works their employees very hard. If you think you can get over the tough parts of this job, give it a shot. Don't let these negative reviews deter you if you think you can stick it out. It's a heck of a lot easier to go write a long review about a job when you are pissed off, but I can tell you, the people I work with like their jobs, and understand what is to gain.

From melbourne, fl — 12/01/2009

no work life balance and pay is horrible

From Bryan, Texas — 10/24/2009

Explaning situations to customers who aren't the best of listeners can be difficult day in and day out...