Working at Eighty Four Lumber — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Eighty Four Lumber pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Eighty Four Lumber

From West Pennsylvania — 09/04/2008

Ok, I worked for 84 for quite afew years and at acouple different locations, and held acouple different positions. I don't work in the field anymore, so here is my unbiased opinion of the company.
PAY: It's depending on where you work. Most 84s are in the middle of nowhere, and in small towns, so the pay is good there. If you live in a bigger area, it's not too bad, but no great.
RESPECT: It depends. I have seen managers treat the MT's and Co's like crap. I have also seen some be very respectful. The salesmen will not respect you though, bank on that. Every store I worked at, the salesmen walked around with their noses in the air. I always hated being around them.
BENEFITS: Pretty good.
JOB SECURITY: 84 is downsizing. From 500 stores to about 380 right now. If you show up on time and do what you are supposed to do, you will be ok. There is no guarantee your store won't close though.
WORK/LIFE BALANCE: Now that most places are closed on Sundays and at noon on Saturdays it isn't so bad.
CAREER POTENTIAL: It is there but if you aren't willing to move...you better be patient. If you are willing to move, you really can be anything you want to be in the company.
LOCATION: Depending on the store.
CO-WORKER COMPETENCE: Managers always get stressed out and flip out. So do salesmen. Sometimes it gets to be ridiculous. To the point they are in their office throwing things, acting like kids. But, for the most part the people I worked with at 84 are all pretty cool.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Hot in the summer. Cold in the winter. What ever the weather is like outside, its the same inside the old steel buildings. Some people bitched about that all day, but I never really cared.

From Ohio — 02/10/2008

Working for 84 isn't bad at all. If you start as an MT you will make 11/hr depending on location and 12 after you pass your test. If there is another MT you will start at 8 and after passing your test you will get 9. At 48 hours a week, thats not a bad paycheck. Once you are a CO your pay will go to 13/hr. 84 just restructured the employee set up so in most stores there is only going to be one MT anyhow. You have the option of 401k/profit sharing, health insurance, rx, and dental if you want it. I have a college degree and I'm making more money here than in any of the jobs I interviewed for that required a degree.

During the interview, unlike most company's do, the mgr and area mgr don't try to sugarcoat anything. They tell you how the job is and what to expect. Before you start, you should be well aware of the pay and working conditions. The stores are uninsulated steel buildings which are cold in the winter and hot in the summer, but that doesn't bother me at all. It's a job for the career oriented person, who isn't afraid to work hard. I would suggest working for 84 to anyone I knew looking for a new career. Basically, the ladder goes from MT to CO to MGR to Area Mgr to RVP, which is my ultimate goal.