Work at Edward Jones — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Edward Jones pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Edward Jones

From kentucky — 07/10/2008

I have been with this comapny for a while and have experinced nothing but respect, and speaking of respect I am glad to be working for the number one Investment firm in a america or atleast J.D power and assoc. thinks so in both employee satisfaction and content clients. I have a wonderful bluecross and bluesheild program which has never let me down , they also offer a health savings account so that must be what SOME people mean by pay as you go . as far as job security there si not much you are a profit center and when the profit canter goes red then it is only good business to cut the fat . SOME VENTERS DON'T SEEM TO UNDERSTAND THAT BUT THATS OKAY I HEAR MIKKY DEES IS HIRING they willl help you understand how to cut the fat there ...lol... as far as work life balance in my opinion this is a personal responsibility you need to figure that out your self when you take a new job and realize what your expectations are . priorities are the most important thing for young people wanting to start a career need to understand . I dont feel comfortable calling this a commisions career it is more like owning your own business but you have the backing of the leading investment firm in america. Most commission based business want you to wokr from your car buy your gas pay for wear and tear and get 1099 to death at the end fo the year . THIS IS NOT THAT TYPE OF COMPANY . In this company and career coworker competence is a must !!! and edwardjones has some of the most compitent . during tthe training program they have the most supportive team avaliable . I have seen some complaints from people who have worked or are working in the tec department I can only say sorry about those conditions but I thank you for what your doing or have done . as far as location I TOLD THEM WHERE I WOULD BE WORKING AT WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT!!! and last work enviorment it is a two man team you have a boa that Home office helps hire on she or he is your employee and that is the only employee you ave or ever will have unless you are one of the few and the proud that becomes a regional manager , and then you will have a whole team of FA's under your wing , so if you are looking to be some corperate ceo with a slew of people your directly manage underneath you then this is not your cup of tea . this job takes dedication , it takes a level of competincy WHERE YOU REALIZE WHEN YOU HAVE FAILED AND YOU DONT BLAME IT ON THE JOB , you must be sophistacted, I have never lied to a cleint !! I dont entend to and further more I am not a VERMIN those hang out at the back of Mikky DEES where some people probably work NOW!!! I am a leading and respected member of my community , becuase I have been honest understanding , and realized that the problem was either my fault of a misunderstanding

From Northeast USA — 01/20/2008

I have nothing but the best to say about Edward Jones. I'm a financial advisor in the Northeast USA for almost 6 yrs.
Pay: commissions. But also ability to earn 2 company-paid vacations per year (with family, if you choose to bring them. We have been and can choose to go to places like Italy, Galapagos Islands, Maui, Alaskan cruises, Mediterranian crusies, Disney cruises, Switzerland, Nevis, Costa Rica- Oh my god the travel trips are FANTASTIC & one of the reasons I could never leave Jones for another company), bonus potential, limited partnership & excess profit sharing. I'm really not sure how competitive our pay is overall vs our competitors, but I do HATE starting over every month at $0 commission wise where our competitors are going to a fee-based model where they pretty much have a guarantee of what their earnings will be each month/each yr. This is most FA's biggest complaint & worry. Jones says this is changing -they are coming out with a fee-based model, but it's taking forever & won't be comprehensive to all products. Overall I'm very, very happy with the compensation.
Respect: top notch. I'd give Jones a 10 if I could.
Benefits: Health care benefits are pretty disappointing. They are really pushing the HSA/health savings account. I can see it would save an employee $ if you are healthy and never go to the doctor and have several years to build up the savings account. But if you have health issues and just started the savings account with $0 balance, forget it. It cost us a FORTUNE out of pocket last year -so many of our expenses didn't even apply towards the $2500 per person (yes, that's right, per person) deductible... And the traditional health insurance plans are almost unaffordable and generally frowned upon by corporate. We have now had the HSA for 2 yrs and it would cost us a fortune to get out of it because we borrowed against it, would have to pay that loan back, etc. WHAT A MESS. But, if you go on short term disability there is an income plan for short term disability for FAs - 75% of your 6 month average salary, paid for by the company. FANTASTIC, Thank you Jones!
Job Security: Top notch. I work, generate a profit for the company & have job security. NEVER ANY LAYOFFS in the history of the company (to the best of my knowledge). We are always hiring & growing even internationally. I'd give Jones a 10 in this dept if I could.
Work/Life Balance: I gave Jones a 4 only because of 2 things: First, when you start you work an UNGODLY amt of hours starting up. 12+ hour days, 5-6 days a week for 3+ yrs. Then you can back down to 40 hrs a week once your biz is established. But it's HELL the first several yrs and you are pushed and pushed and basically made to feel like a loser if you don't put in 60+ hrs a week for your first several yrs. Secondly, because the pay is commission based and you have to start every month over at $0 commissions, it's tough. You have to continue to work hard every day, every month. Unlike some of our competitors w/fee based -they know what they'll start their year at based on assets under management and that must take a lot of stress & pressure off & I can believe a better life/work balance. But overall, I'm pretty satisfied. I can run my biz like it's my biz & no one gives me any grief. I get my work done whenever I can get it done as long as it gets done, and that's fantastic. Each FA has his/her own office - that's right, my own office with a dedicated, fulltime assistant. Paid for by Jones.
Career Growth/Potential: as far as I know, top notch. The company is growing like gangbusters & they need to promote people. They seem to do it from within too - I don't get the impression they go out of their way to hire outsiders.
Location: Fantastic. I'm in the Northeast where no one has heard of Jones. I could have put my office anywhere, I think. NO ONE commutes to their offices - there's just no reason. You can have an office in your hometown & walk to work if you wish. It's your choice where you put your office.
Co-Worker Competence: I considered giving Jones a 5... Only reason I go with a 4 is because Jones has hired some real bozos as FAs. There are a few right now out here in the NE and I think to myself, How the HELL did he/she get through all the interviews and still get hired? I have NEVER had any real issues with the home office/calling center: those people are top notch, very professional and basically kiss my butt when we call in. Kudos to the Home Office support staff!
Work Environment: Top notch - a 10. Did I mention I have my own office? With my name on the door? With a dedicated, full time assistant, all paid for by Jones? They leave me alone to do my job, serve MY CLIENTS (who come to see ME in MY OFFICE). I don't compete with anyone in my office over clients, reputation, space or anything else. There is a tremendous amt of respect from Corporate for their FAs (and the company's only profit center). Jones does not have any proprietary products, no one pushes us to sell anything in particular: I'm completely free to do what is right for my clients. I LOVE THAT - THANK YOU JONES!! I have never worked for a better company and never will :) Jones has a life-long employee in me as long as they stay true to their current values & customers.