Working at Edward Jones — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Edward Jones pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Edward Jones

From Birmingham, Alabama — 09/19/2010

You have to understand the setup at Edward Jones- you work in a two-person office with one Financial Advisor (the person who makes the money) and one Branch Office Administrator (the person who frees up the FA's time so they CAN make money). The company itself is fantastic- they are the only company I've ever worked for that treats their workers like people rather than numbered cogs. The compensation for BOAs is very competitive, and if you are paired with a successful FA the bonuses are great. And therein lies the trick to a good experience with Jones- you have to be paired with the right person. If you are it is the best job in the WORLD. You're working as a team for the immediate benefit of one another, and that's wonderful. That is the setup I am in, and that's why I'm so happy with my job. But I would imagine that if you are paired with someone with whom you do not mesh it could be a hellish job (you just can't get away from your single coworker!). An FA who is not willing to do the hard work it takes to be successful (and yes, it DOES take hard work), or who does not share your values regarding work vs family, or who just does not have a personality that works well with yours could make things pretty awful. So if you're thinking of going to work for Jones as a BOA, remember that you are interviewing the FA as much as they are interviewing you! And if you're thinking of going to work for Jones as an FA, remember that it will be hard work, but that the right BOA will make your life SO much easier.

So maybe I sound like I've drunk the Kool-Aid, but you know what? The Kool-Aid is pretty delicious, and the health benefits are outstanding.

From South Carolina — 04/24/2010

In my opinion, this is the best co. to work for in the investment business. Very ethical company and always focused on doing whats right for the client. Yes, to get started, you will work like a dog for 3-5 yrs. However, the rewards are absolutely amazing and well worth the work, if this is your passion. If you have a passion for helping people with retirement planning, the opportunity is amazing. Very few make it in this business simply because they lack the consistent 1. work ethic, 2. discipline, 3. attitude and 4. passion.

Edward Jones will train you very well!!!!! However, they cannot do the EFFORT required for you. You must earn your way in this business. Thank goodness very few can truly do this business well or else the opportunty would not exist.

From Saint Louis (Home Office) — 04/06/2010

I love working for Jones, I was hired after an internship through my school. Ya the pay isn't the best in the world, but I sacrifice that for working with people that make you feel like your a family. Most people that come on this site and complain about their jobs are the people that probably got fired from the company they are writing about so they can complain and try to hurt the company for what they did to them. So read the reviews and make your decision. I do not know what it is like out in the field but home office is great and everyone has smiles on their faces. Thank you.

From Eastern Shore — 03/23/2010

One of the best jobs I've ever had. YES you work HARD, duh. I dont know why people keep complaining about this, grow up. I work for Jones, and yeah I got an office, big deal. I make 10% of my income from what was there already, the other 90% comes from getting my butt out the door and meeting people. Location has nothing to do with it, I could have the best location on earth and people will not just show up with their checkbook. You go out and find the business, your personality and hard work get the assests through the door. If you cant go out and find business you wont succeed period, if you dont make the repeat contacts you wont succeed. Dont let these people fool you into thinking they worked hard and went out everyday knocking on doors, they didnt. I'm a young guy 6 years out of college, I dont have wealthy friends or family to give me money, nor would I ask for it. You knock on 25 doors in a day which will take you 8 hours everyday, you will find clients. Jones gives you plenty of time to grow your business 5 years to get things in order is plenty if you cant figure it out by then your not going to. Edward Jones never lied to me, they told me I had to make 25 contacts a day, 125 week and that it would be hard. They were right but the first time a couple handed me a check for a bond purchase at their kitchen table I never looked back. Too many complainers not enough workers. Ohh and if I want a raise this year Ill just work a little harder, how many other jobs in the corporate world allow you to do that, maybe ill earn a trip somewhere also, oh and they let you choose where you wanna go out of about 30 places if you cant find one youve got problems.
The most successful FA's here all started from scratch truthfully most FAs who get an office dont make it because they stop prospecting.
I have no boss unless I stop working, then I would have to answer for why Im not making any money, but Im pretty sure thats any job.
Your pay is what you make it. Jones pays you a salary for almost a year and a half in the beginning. There are plenty of opportunities for bonuses too and thats just for doing a 100% of your job, which as I said before I'm sure most companies would like you too do as well.
You get the respect you give yourself, your clients will love you to the day you die if you do what is right for them, I got no's from most of my best clients the first 5 times. If someone is going to give you their life savings I expect to have to work a little for it.
Work for the company do the work and enjoy the rest of your life. Some of our most successful FA's have one more thing in common, they came from a military background, you know why because they dont take excuses in the military.

From St. Louis, MO — 02/11/2010

I am a home office associate and enjoy working for Edward Jones. I have been with the company 11 years and find tons of growth opportunities. I love the benefits. Most people who complain about the health insurance plan probably don't understand it well as HSA and high deductible plans are relatively new. In my experience women and minorities are treated well as there are lots of inclusion efforts. The work life balance is great. They just lifted the pay freeze, although I completely understood the reason behind it. I would rather freeze my pay than risk a layoff. I can't say enough positive. If you are willling to be a hard worker you can make it far. If you are a mediocre worker you can still find a place, you just might not advance much. The choice is up to you. I am a 34 year old female who will probably retire from the company some day.

From Rock Hill, SC — 01/25/2010

I can't believe all these negative comments on here. Edward Jones is a FANTASTIC place to work! I've been an FA with the firm since 2001. I spent 10 years "climbing the corporate ladder" in a former life only to have someone constantly looking over my shoulder and telling me that the 60 hour work weeks I was working (for a fixed salary of course) was not enough even though my results were above my peers. Here at Edward Jones, I build my business the way I see fit as long as my core values align with the values that Edward Jones has.

All of these comments on here like "unless you take over a big office it's not worth it" are ridiculous. My only question to those people is this - How do you think those offices got to be so big? Someone had to door knock. Someone had to put in the work and not get paid much in the beginning for it. Someone had to sweat and have the guts to stick it out!

Folks, this is a great job but I admit it's not for everyone. I have a B.S. degree. That's it. I don't have an advanced degree and I'm certainly not a scholar. I wasn't blessed with a lot of intelligence. I do, however, have a strong work ethic and a strong desire to succeed. This company allows me to do that. And by the way, I spend WAY more time with my wife and kids since I've been doing this. My time is mine. I set my hours. Sometimes they're long hours, but it's because I choose to do that - not because someone is telling me to do it. If you've got an entrepreneuial spirit about you and you understand that it takes time to build a business, this could be for you.

From California — 01/09/2010

I have had many dealings with issues that could have disappointed me but EJ always did the right thing. I love my hours and my ability to work as little or as much as I want. And no overhead!! They take a hefty share of my commissions for that, but I believe its worth it

From midwest — 05/23/2009

great company, great opportunity and plenty of freedom.

From New York, NY — 10/25/2008

Here is my two cents regarding Jones.... For those people who say this is an awful company and these who say it is an awesome company I think both of you are not telling the whole story. Your experience at Jones will depend on the situation.

Take me for example. I was 21 years old, just out of college and opened up a Jones office in a very wealthy area outside New York City. The Jones "door knocking" model was impossible for me as it was against the law to solicit to homes, etc... I also had a difficult time because I was young, many of the residents in the neighborhood would not feel comfortable with such a young person managing their assets. Now that being said, my first year went rather well. I had to get creative, very creative but Jones at the time did not cater very well to high net worth investors. My best clients were "the average Joe's".

I worked my tail off. But in the area I was in the competition was fierce and being young (looking like I was 17) made it difficult to gather assets.

That being said. If you are our of college taking a job with Jones I would NOT take it. I would go with the larger firms who can offer better support by you teaming up with an older financial advisor.

If you are a mid career person I would consider it but you will starve your first few years.

What was deflating about the "formula" for success (25 contacts per day) was that I found that most of the successful reps in my area NEVER had to use it b/c they had the "connections" through friends or family members. t didn't work for me and yes I did it and by the book and worked nights and weekends.

Personally, I think working as a team at Paine Webber or the other houses gives you just as much freedom as Jones and you get better benefits.

When it comes down to it, no mater what broker you work for, if you are doing well and making money, they leave you alone, if you are struggling (including Jones), they will be on your back. And that's a fact

From Louisville, Kentucky — 08/10/2008

Edward Jones is probably the best company to work for. Those on this site who are really angry are the ones who REFUSED to do what Jones wants you to do. The method for success is tried and trued. You are a business owner so the only reason you are going to fail with Jones is not working your tail off. I am honored to tell people I work for Jones and people respect us more than any other broker.