Working at eBay — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about eBay pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at eBay

From Draper, Utah — 08/16/2010

I worked for eBay twice, a total of 9 years. The first few years were the best - you could only get an interview with 2 years of college behind you, the pay is awesome and the benefits are amazing! Back then it wasn't a call center - it was more of an email center- answering emails, Meg and Pierre visited often and gave us pep talks and lots of prizes and life was good. Then we got a new guy at the top and he had a new vision- call center vision. They started hiring anyone who had a pulse, and it went downhill from there. You can go anywhere you want in the company if you do your job really well and keep your mouth shut. There are ample opportunities to go in any direction - you just have to let your Supervisor know what you want and they help you get there. The management is stellar and gets evaluated from the employees anonymously atleast yearly, so if they are not performing they are shown the door. It is very competitive, and you have to really want to succeed to make it there, but you will be rewarded if you show dedication. Get to know your leaders, and be social. Don't grumble or stab people in the back - simple common sense. The work is monotonous though - and the bar has been raised significantly from when I started in the beginning. We used to have fun and play alot, but they took away most of the fun and replaced it with work. Upper management used to know everybody who worked there, but now it is just another call center and people on your team are probably the only ones who will know your name. Greed got to them though, and they did change the site and the work staff in such a way that there aren't many happy people or sellers anymore. They upped the fees and became nazi-like on the way the site is run. I used to sell all the time, but hardly do anymore because they own Paypal too, and if the buyer complains then they can just press a button and take the money out of your Paypal account to make the buyer happy. They don't care if you get your item back of it really wasn't your fault. There is too much micromanaging on the site, and yes they do have a program to watch people on their computers, but if you don't do stupid things then you don't have to worry do you? Great place to work overall and you seriously cannot beat the benefits anywhere except the government.

From Salt Lake City — 12/29/2009

awesome company

From Draper, UT — 07/07/2009

I have worked at eBay for 5 years and I love it!

From vanocuver bc — 10/03/2007

ebay rocks! what a great call center to work at- not like other places i have been. very cool!

From San Jose — 06/06/2007

eBay is a wonderful place to work. You will hear people complain but they tend to be those that aren't capable of working in such a diverse environment as eBay. We deal with a large variety of issues having a community so large - and a community very dependant on us. It's not for everyone - especially those that are used to fetch-a-rock type jobs. You must be willing to show initiative.

From Vancouver, BC — 04/17/2007

eBay in Vancouver is a great place to work. Management from the very top down care for employees and expectations are reasonable. Yes they do QA monitors on their agents but this is a contact center and to be expected. It is a really great place to be.