Working at Dollar Tree — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Dollar Tree pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Dollar Tree

From Florida — 07/09/2010

Honestly, maybe not the best place for everyone, the location that I work at is actually pretty great. It all depends on the store itself and the individuals. Not to mention how well you are able to adapt to stressful environments and co workers. I currently work as an assistant manager and love it to be honest. Honestly, the only drawback is that the bonuses were given a "grandfathered" status meaning that I don't receive the bonuses like all of the other managers, but I still like the job. Yes, not getting a monthly bonus does deter the possibility of complete morale and total commitment, but I still feel like I give 110 percent and still like the place that I work....maybe one day the monthly bonus policy will change, but until then, I will continue to work there

From Howell, Michigan — 08/30/2009

Ive only been working at the dollar tree about a month and im already quiting. not beacuse it was a horribal place though.
PAY: The pay was kinda crappy, just min. wage as expected from a dollar tree. I was in desperate need for a job so i didnt care much when i got it since it took for months to find one beacuse of michigans economy.

RESPECT: The managers have a lot of respect for me. They give you a checklist everyday and they "x" what they want you to do ( like Sort go backs, damages, U-Boat, ect..) i did everything within 3 hours that was checked and the manager said "wow you did more in 3 hours then (wont say names) did her entire shift". she gave me more to do and i did it all. at the end of my shift i got the first actually meaningful thank you from a manager that actually ment it. so if you do your work they will respect you.

BENEFITS: Im not sure if there is any.... if there is i was never informed.

Job: security, when i put in my 2 weeks notice they said are you working everyday for the 2 weeks and i said yea, if i missed a day they said i would be let go early. im sure they could replace anyone anytime.

Work/life balance: it feels like im hardly at work. anyone whos not a manager gets around 10-15 hours a week. im pretty much so behind on bills its not funny. when i told them im leaving they bumped up my hours to 18.lol.

Career Growth: they said if i wanted more hours they would put me in manager training ( this was after i accepted a job who talked to be about being a key holder at dollar general)

Location: right on grand river. pretty easy to see. about a 30 min drive for me beacuse i live in the middle of nowhere.

Co-Worker competence: All my co-workers were pretty nice people. noone really complains about the job to much, maybe just for the hours. everyone calls of constantley. we have a calander in the office where people write what days they want off and its completley full. at bob evans we were allowed 3 days off in 6 months. i wouldnt dare writing on that calander!

Work enviroment: Messy, i constanty wanted to organize things, so i did. things are piled everywhere and your surrounded by junk at the register.

pretty much if a good 2nd job to have, or if your just looking for some extra money. i would say its a good student job but you need to be 18 to work there. overall its a nice place and i felt bad for quiting but i had to do whats good for me.

From Huntsville, TX — 11/18/2008

I know that others have put some bad stuff about Dollar Tree up here. But, I think is a good job. You start out at minimum wage (it is a dollar store after all), but you do get a 6 month raise. The management and coworkers show great respect, if you show respect to them. I have done things without asking, and my manager thinks that it was good choice. Most companies do not offer benefits to employees on a part-time basis. But Dollar Tree provides benefits to part-time employees that have been there at least 4 months. As long as you don't steal, are not rude to the customers, and are not rude to the managers, then you have nothing to worry about (as it is in most companies). You don't bring your work home with you...it's a dollar store; how could you? There is room for career growth, as long as you follow the Associate's Handbook. I live close to mine, so location is not an issue. There is a Dollar Tree pretty much anywhere. The work environment is great. The people are nice, and are willing to be team players. Dollar Tree is a great part-time job!

From Clarksville, TN — 12/18/2007

Dollar Tree is a typical retail establishment. The pay is just over minimum wage. I really don't have any complaints about that stuff. It is what it is. My complaint is, we have no break room. None! We used to be able to sit in the office during our 10 min break, but since we had a turn over of managers, we are not allowed to do that anymore. Our choices are to sit outside in 30-40 degree temperatures on the sidewalk, or sit on a crate in the store room. Again no heating. Its not worth it. A lot of us don't bother with breaks. They took away the break room to make more room for stock.
And, is it just me, what is hanging merchandise so high on the walls, that you have to be at least 6 foot 6 to reach them. Customers complain all the time about not being able to reach things.
These complaints might sound petty, especially after reading about some other establishments, but I think we should have a place to sit and relax after working hard. Been promised it for years now.