Working at Dollar General — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Dollar General pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Dollar General

From salisbury, NC — 02/09/2010

I have worked for DG for about 6 months, as a clerk I think it is great, the employees are great and the customers I love. Our manager is awesome, she does work alot of hours, but never ask you to do something she would not do. I would not want to be a manager because of the job security. I do think that if you took the job you should do your best and not complain if you can't do it. Although I think our whole team is great and that does make a difference, and that is anywhere you work.

From Kansas — 11/15/2009

Overall...not to bad. The thing i like the most is that my DM leaves me alone for the most part. The worst is feeling like I have to be there all the time just to make sure nothing gets fucked up. But it pays the bills. It's a job, waddya gonna do?

From Goodlettsville TN — 07/31/2009

I work in the Corporate office. After reading reviews on other companies I realize how thankful I am to have a good job. I can honestly say that I have amazing co-workers and management. In fact, I've had some of the best bosses here than I've ever had. They've even been life changing. I've worked here for about 3.5 years.

I gave Work/Life balance a 3 because I believe it can go either way. They don't demand unreasonable things from you - not on a regular basis, at least. If you're a workaholic though, its easy to become lost in your work and lose balance... and they definitely don't stop you. They do; however, promote a healthy work life with everything they offer. From working at other companies, the only thing I think they could do to improve this is to make employees - especially store managers - take 1 of their 2 weeks of vacation off consecutively. As in, you receive 2 weeks of vacation - of that, they should require you take 5 days off in a row to alleviate burnout.

Career Growth is pretty good there. I've been promoted twice from my original position. You will eventually get recognized for your hard work in one way or another. When I look at DG Corporate as a whole, I'd like to reassure the stores that while they face challenges, they can have faith that those running things on a larger scale are very dedicated and passionate about honestly improving things for stores and customers. "Serving Others" is definitely an appropriate motto that is fulfilled every day.

I know that our Store Managers have it rough and I can't disagree. I do see that those in Store Operations continually work toward making it better at store level.

From old hickory, tn — 05/12/2009

my job is good i love my co workers they are great people we laugh all the time pay isnt so great but i dont really expect it to be i make 8.00 an hr my boss is friendly he makes sure you get your work done though i work in a model store and we have about 2 visit a month its really hard to get ready for visit we have to wipe shelves down and any thing that can be cleaned will be cleaned its not hard to get promoted to a key holder i have only been working there for a bout 3 months and i have a feeling i am up next if i accept the offer

From Mukwonago, wi — 04/27/2008

The Dollar General in Mukwonago, WI is a exellent place to work and shop! The problem with people these days is they want somethin for nothing! My manager is one of those who will not expect you to do anything that she herself won't do! We have fun and get our work done! She has made our store a great place to work and shop! We provide exellent customer service and are happy to work here! I agree there are bad managers out there but that is everywhere not just Dollar General and My boss isn't one of them,,,,,,,,,,,, maybe you need to transfer to another location??