Working at Disney — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Disney pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Disney

From Orlando, FL — 02/04/2010

I just moved back home after work in the Magic Kingdom in Orlando, FL for 2 years. Honestly, the worst part is the pay, which is very low but the experience is deffinatly worth it especially if you are passionate about Disney. However, at the end of the day, you do work at a theme park where rides break down and people can be unhappy. While it deffinatly had it's bad days though, overall it was a fun place to work and they do try to make the cast feel appreciated even in such a large organization. The hours could get very long but managers did try to keep everyone encouraged. The benefits of working in the theme parks and getting in for free and the discounts were great but I am glad I did not have to rely on them for insurance. It's very difficult to work at Disney with only that income, I was fortunate to have a husband who had a "grown up job".

From Anaheim, CA — 01/31/2010

Hm, this was my third job, and I have to say this place wasn't so bad. Pay was good, respect was somewhat alright, but only if the managers and leads liked you. They were very selective of me. Benefits were awesome, job security is a plus, and if you don't have family or friends and don't celebrate holidays, work/life balance is perfectly fine, unless you're like me and was either at school or work. Missed my boyfriend's birthday, Thanksgiving, Christmas eve and day, New Year's Eve, etc. Career potential is good. You can definitely grow if you are close with the managers and are on their good side. Too bad they can't judge by your work ethic like they should be doing. Location was way too far from me, but I did it because of the College Program, which was a bunch of bull but looked great on your resume and transcript. Co-worker competence is the high-light of this review. WHY are there people who think they are better than you? What is their problem? Because I'm Asian and you're White doesn't make a difference. Just because you're friends with the White girl doesn't force you to hate me either people. The White Demon as I would like to call it. She would gather followers and they would give me a hard time at work. Soon they spread rumors about how I tried to make this one guy break up with his gf. Honestly, I was dating someone back then and THAT WAS MY BOYFRIEND. What is WRONG with these people? They're a bunch of high school kids that let Disney become their life! Anyways, I got tired of trying to fix things and decided to leave that hell hole. Work environment weren't even that great, if you talk about the "break areas". They're located RIGHT NEXT TO THE DUMPSTERS AND SEWERS.

Only thing I remember was me and Pluto (with the head taken off) sharing a cigarette by the dumpster during our break. We were both so miserable that we smoked our sorrows away.

Make sure you keep in touch with your good co-workers. Some turn out to be the best of friends, and some just for references on your resume.

From Anaheim, CA — 11/20/2009

I did the College Program 2008 at Disneyland and it was the best time of my life! I've always strived toward a high-paying career track in the government (which I now have), but even being a dirt poor bottom-feeder was excellent because I had the time of my life. Everyday was better and better; you make a lot of friends there, network, and have so many opportunities that are not only beneficial to your career development, but also to your personal growth.

Pay: $10/hr. Better than some! Unfortunately almost all of it went into housing rent ($800/mo), which is currently mandatory arrangements in CA.

Respect: You don't get any unless you really put yourself out there and reach for it; you have ot make a name for yourself in your housing complex as well as in you workplace! I also think it depends on how many people you work with (I only had a team of about 40)

Benefits: Free park passes and free bus pass.

Job security: don't be late.

Work/Life balance: Fine for me! I worked with friends, went to the parks nearly every day, went shopping, to the movies, concerts, weekend roadtrips to ALL over the place; the apartments were actually very fun (even though there are a ton or rules) because everyone was always visiting each other.

Career potential/growth: this is an excellent job to list on your resume. I get asked about it all the time, so if you are planning on using it to boost your chances with another company it will work for sure! Growth within Disney...it's possible, but you need to go waaaay out of your way to advance and also need seniority and networking skills It's more like a friendship circle than a council.

Location: I have lived in 9 cities around the world and SoCal is honest to god the best place I've ever lived. It's amazing.

Co-worker competence: most of my coworkers were potheads, but they knew their training to the T. Very professional around guests and knew how to work the system.

Work environment: very image-oriented. I learned a lot about guest services, and the company culture was amazingly accomodating, encouraging, and had a strong culture. It was a very feel-good company, and your workplace reflected that whether you wanted it to or not.

From Anaheim, CA — 11/16/2009

Over the years working at Disneyland went from great to just Okay. No thanks to Michael Eisner. Enough said. I would not recommend working there now as it just isn't the same as the "Good Old Days".

From Burbank, CA — 10/31/2009

I think much of the negative comments regarding Disney are from "on-stage" cast members. Working as a salaried, full-time employee, many of my co-workers' gripes are fairly common among any other job. Everybody can't be happy...but looking at what the company offers...it's a pretty good place to work...if you are salaried. The wide swath of layoffs had everybody on pins and needles, but the reality is that almost every company out there is downsizing...so that's really not Disney, but a result of the economy. Here are the positives (for salaried employees): good pay, great benefits, decent 401K match, the only company I know of that offers a pension to "white-collar" employees, great job if you have kids - you can get your fill of the theme parks and merchandise discounts, great name brand of the resume, I would say most of my co-workers are very bright, and generous a educational reimbursement. The negatives: communication among management down to the staff levels is disjointed, it seems that people get promoted not for skill but rather time served....as a result, people managing really shouldn't be managing in the first place, and you are expected to work yourself to the bone.

From Orlando, FL — 09/21/2009

I did the Disney College Program, and it was AMAZING

From Orlando, FL — 09/18/2009

I recently had to quit my job at WDW when I moved away. It definitely has it's ups and downs. I started off on the college program in attractions where i remainded for 3 of the best years of my life. The pay sucked and for the most part the managers were pretty absent or incompetent, but the co-workers made up for it. The job itself was fun and I worked with a great group of people who took pride in what they were doing. Plus, with the managers being gone so much, we got to do pretty much whatever we wanted.
The guest can be a pain sometime, but there are also times when you meet really amazing people and get to make their vacation better and that makes it all worthwhile.
After 3 years in attractions I became a server in a restaurant which is great great great money. I made a living working only 2 days a week. It was way less fun than working attractions though. It was like any serving job anywhere, you didn't get to participate in 'disney world' like you do in attractions.
As for career potential, you definitely have to play the game. It's mostly who you know and how much ass you kiss to get to the top. If you're looking to work your way up honestly in a company this probably isn't your best bet, but if you're looking for someplace to work for a little while and have the time of your life this is by far the best place to do it. I miss it and I would do it all over again in a heartbeat.

From Tempe, Az — 05/06/2009

I worked at the Disney Store for a total of three months I first applied just as a second job to fill some time and gain some financial security. The pay was all right minimum wage but I expect it might of gone up if I had stayed. I often felt alienated from my coworkers and superiors with the exception of one or two friendly cast members. I was not aware of any benefits if any. I did not feel like my job was ever threatened until the month before I put in my two weeks. The reason I quit was because business slowed down and because they do call in scheduling every night when I called in they would say thank you for calling enjoy your day off which for a little while I didn't mind but after 3 weeks you would think they could afford to give me a couple hours. Also having a call in schedule meant I had to keep all my days open regardless of whether I was going to work or not and was keeping me from my other job. Before business slowed down I felt that I was doing a great job and thought I might grow with this company. The location was decent while it was in the mall it got quite a bit of business. My coworkers were very focused but often formed clicks like in highschool and because its mostly girls not a day went by without some form of gossip. When I applied for this job I was warned it would be hard work and they weren't kidding I forgot to mention I was a frieght person and I went home everyday sore. I didn't mind to much I like hard work I like to feel like I accomplished something at the end of the night. With two jobs though it was sometimes a bit much especially since I was the smallest one on the frieght team I was always straining to carry my wieght. This was a good experience for me in general when I put my 2 weeks in I thought my manager was understanding but when I went back to ask for a job again she told me that she did everything she could to keep me and that I still abandoned the job and that she didn't want me back that was a extremely upsetting experience made me feel like it was my fault that I didn't work hard enough or care enough to stay. I will never go back to the Disney Store but I hope that others will have better luck.

From Lake Buena Vista, FL — 09/08/2008

I did a college program for Walt Disney World working in quick service food and beverage. The pay was dismal for the job but I hear that it gets OK if you are a full timer and gain seniority. I didn't know much about benefits except that they aren't offered to seasonal cast members but I assume they are alright if you're full time because Disney World has a union. The fringe benefits for all cast members are great if you love Disney. You get in free to the parks, half off on the water parks and various other things, cast discounts on dining and merchandise, and best of all free admissions for family and friends (i had six days with 3 admissions each, but the higher you are, the more you get). It is relatively easy to keep your job if you do it properly because of the points system before reprimands. I've heard that it is very hard to terminate full timers without a good reason. The hours vary from location but I had a good location for hours. Some full timers have to work up to 60 hours a week during peak season. It is difficult to get time off without knowing in advance, especially if your location doesn't have a lot of people who can cover for you. You most likely will have to work holidays and if you're a college program, Disney is basically your life when you're in Florida. Because there are so many people, it is hard to get noticed but if you're a good worker and go above and beyond, getting guest compliments and exceeding expectations, it is easier to work your way up the corporate ladder. Disney also has internships that can lead to full time work. Some of the coworkers were 'special' and hard to work around in busier times, and don't seem like they fit in in such a high volume restaurant. Some had trouble speaking English. There were plenty of fun, well educated people to balance it out. The managers at my location really seemed to care about the cast, taking time to listen to their concerns and help them out. We also had special parties and cast appreciation for our location and the park.

From Orlando, FL — 08/05/2008

You get out of Disney what you put into it. Some days you just have to put a whole lot more in that you should have to. Pay in the industry is much higher than you can expect to be paid at Disney