Working at DIRECTV — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about DIRECTV pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at DIRECTV

From WV — 04/11/2010

I have worked for many call centers and Directv is definitely cream of the crop.

Every 6 months we have shift bids. You can bid for day shift, mid shift, or night shift. If you work night shift weekend, you can make $12.50 hr as a new hire. Day shift pays $10.

Benefits are amazing. Good insurance, 401k, and a retirement plan.

Yes, you have to meet performance standards, but they aren't nearly as stressful as all the other call centers I've worked in.

Downside? 6 floating holidays only. You earn about 1.5 hours off each week. If you call in, you want to use these hours, so you only get 1 occurance - otherwise it's 1.5.

And, of course, you get customers who call in screaming at you because they can't understand their bill, etc.

From Boise,ID — 02/23/2010

I loved this job. They recognize competence where they see it & move you up based on performance. The benefits are awesome. The environment comfortable. The Boise call center I think is beautiful. I was really bummed when I had to leave this company due to medical issues and hope to be able to join back up with them one day.

From Montana — 01/25/2010

I have a college degree and this is the only thing going in my area right now so I had to take what I could get. The pay is ok but not great for someone with student loans. Coworkers are mostly pretty nice because we are all in the same boat. Management treats people like children most of the time with excessive monitoring which makes it somewhat discouraging. I have applied for promotions and have an excellent performance record and resume but I am passed over because they say my interview skills are lacking. Curios to why that matters if I do a great job....???

From Colorado — 12/24/2009

I unlike some others enjoy working here. It is a great place to work. I have held Five different positions with this company within two year and am looking forward to many other opportunitys to move up the ladder. If you are one of those people that don't like to work than this job is not for you but if you enjoy working outside and have the compitance to understand basic mechanical and low voltage electrical you will most likely love this job as I do. Don't get me wrong we do work alot but in this economy I would think that people would like the comfort of knowing that their job will still be here the next day ( Job Security ) As for pay it is not the best paying job in the world but it is much better than minimum wage. The Benefits are some of the best out their. In most cases you don't have any problems with work vs home life as most of the upper managment is very understanding of problems that may happen in your personal life and unless it becomes a habit will often not question you to much about it and will offer thier support in any way. So to all who may say that Directv is not a great place to work, Maybe you should apply for a job that you don't have to do any work at all nore have a boss to deal with, or even laeve your house! Oh yeah you probably allready have this job its called UNEMPLOYMENT !!! Thanks to all who do a great job at Directv and Keep up the great work !!

From Missoula, MT — 08/21/2008

So I'm going to be leaving this job in about a month basically because I can't stand it anymore. I lasted about nine months, and I'm considered one of the more tenured people on my team. But DirecTv does has some very strong points:

The Good: The managers genuinely care about your welfare, there just isn't too much they can do about it. The company tries very very hard to keep morale high. They constantly have contests and games going on. And there's always something you can get rewarded for. Recognition is a big thing here. The pay is decent, but not quite enough to make the work worth it. The benefits are very good, I feel. There's a fitness center and a free video arcade. There's a pretty good incentive program too.

The Bad: They're not very flexible with allowing time off. You get 6 paid days off each year plus whatever time you accrue weekly (it takes FOREVER). If you're like me and you live on the other side of the country from your family, this doesn't work at all. The job itself is psychologically trying. You deal with a lot of upset people and you spend most of your time correcting other agent's mistakes. And you're expected to take as many calls as possible so there's no time for a breather between calls. It's very frustrating.

From Tulsa, OK — 06/23/2008

Overall great company to work for, they treat employees good, and have pretty good benefits with their tv package.

From El Segundo, CA — 12/23/2006

For a lot of people, this would be an ideal job. They pay you very well, and don't expect a lot of work. It's hard to get fired, and if you're lucky you could get laid off and receive a big benefits package. (benefits and 401K are quite good) My caveat is that I am very ambitious and really enjoy working and stretching myself. I know there are a lot of people who just want a 9-5 where your boss isn't mean to you, and you might be very happy here. BUT - if you are at all enterprising, ambitious or otherwise interested in professional development, this isn't the right place. Senior management is quite smart, but in the trenches it's not an inspiring environment. There is a very weird sense of paranoia all around, perhaps because of a lot of management changes over the years. It's a demotivating environment if you care about excellence or are the slightest bit creative or enterprising in your outlook. The problem is that it's such a huge company, and so scared of change, that the people who are fast paced, work hard, etc just get demotivated very quickly by others around you. Literally, it takes just a few months to find it incredibly depressing.