Working at Dick's Sporting Goods — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Dick's Sporting Goods pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Dick's Sporting Goods

From Woodbridge, New Jersey — 08/28/2010

I worked for Dicks in 2005 and had to quit b/c of a death in the family. I recently began working p/t for the company, so I can have a little extra money during school. My experience since joining Dicks again has been wonderful. Since filling out the application again to beginning work was extremely quick!

Pay: The pay here is good for a retail/ sales job. They're incentives and extra money that can be earned from selling warranties, etc.

Respect: Respect as compared to anything in life is given when its is recieved in return. I have yet to have one concern or problem with anyone giving me respect.

Benefits: I work part timeso unfortunately I cannot comment on benefits.

Job Security: Sales and growth of the store seems to be doing pretty well. They are opening more stores.

Work/Life Balance: I rarely take off, but now that I am beginning school I need to take a day off and have recieved no "backlash" asking to do so. Just as any job the right thing to do is give a two week notice, but some things in life come unexpectantly and they do work with you.

Career Potential/Growth: I'm sure if you want it and you work for it you can achieve anything. I know a few people who have been promoted that still work there since I left in 2005.

Location: It is five minutes from my house so I can't complain about the commute!

Co-worker competence: I am a hardworker: However, I feel that there are a few who are immature, don't take direction well and believe that they are "all of a sudden your bosses" and you're suppose to take direction from them. Some I canNOT stand, but then again you do not always get along with everyone you work with, but I think some should be called out when they're not.

Work Enviroment: I have never had a bad experience in the working enviroment. They have high expectations, but then again that's how jobs should be. The managers are AWESOME and are friendly, but still act like bosses. Train you well and do not bias anyone from another. The district manager is also a great guy and doesn't have a "better than you persona nor attitude."

* I am sorry to those who didn't have a great experience working for Dicks I hope you found a better opportunity elsewhere, but then again it depends on your work enviroment.

From Louisville, KY — 08/08/2009

Respect: I think it is a culture of respect - especially from the district level management to store managers. I can honestly say that I have never experienced anything disrespectful at the few stores I have worked in.

Benefits: Try to find something better - you can't.

Job Security: Dick's is doing fine. Sales are good; there are no talks of lay-offs, hours being cut - nothing. In the world of retail - I think this is one of the FEW places to be.

Work/Life Balance: Again, never had a problem. If you give 100% when you do work, management will work around your life and usually take care of you. It's those that give 30% that complain.

Career Potential/Growth: I see it all the time. They give people chances if they produce. I do not plan to stay here after college but I know that if I choose to, I could make it a nice career.

Location: What? Not sure what they are asking here. We are in a great location - in a fabulous city.

Co-Worker Competence: There are some opportunities here with the slackers in the building. When it comes down to it, I know that the slackers are not getting the hours but I still wish they would address under-performers.

Work Environment: High expectations! They are successful because of it and I certainly do not expect to barely work and get paid. They are competitive and strive to be the best - which I think is a pretty good attitude.

From MI — 01/10/2009

Pay- I started out p/t making nothing but since moving to f/t I have been given a few raises that were very reasonable.

Respect- As with anything you get it when you give it. I respect my job therefore I feel respected.

Benefits- The medical and dental are actually pretty good. Dental is dirt cheap and covers pretty much everything.

Job Security- I live in Michigan everyone has lost their job... you never feel secure.

Work Life Balance- I never feel like I am off the clock. The only time it really got to me was during the holiday season. Simetimes you don't want to drive all the way in just so someone can take a break.

Location- Good spot, once you find it.

Co-worker Competence- hmm. Well it is retail, you get to see a lot of people come and go. Our store is lucky we don't have that much turnover and people do seem to be hard workers...with some exceptions.

Work Enironment- You get to watch t.v., look at all the newest Nike, North Face and Under Armour, play with the games on slower nights and sell people fun stuff. It really isn't that bad.

It's retail it is what it is, at least it is a place I would shop and not somewhere boring like Home Depot or Lowe's.

From Grandville, MI — 07/11/2008

Pay- as a normal associate you are started out at about $8 an hour which isnt to bad for what you are doing. There are reviews that allow you to receive performance raises and other training opportunities that allo you to progress your hourly rate. just like in any job you have to earn your raises, they are not just handed to you. And if you expect to make enough money there as a regular associate to make an honest living your an idiot anyways. you are not going to find a single place where you can be a regular associate in retail and make an honest living.
Respect- Respect is given where respect is earned. If you show respect to others they will more than likely show respect to you. Obviously there are a few bad applese but that happens anywhere.
Job security- It is also like any other job or career, if you are not performing or meeting your marks then why should they keep you around? Common sense people you dont want people working for you that are not accomplishing what you ask of them.
Work/Life Balance- The work consumes your life as much as you want it to. If you want to think about work outside of the job then that is your issue.
Career/Potential Growth- yes it is true you do have to kiss ass to move up in the company but it is like that in just about every company. They give you opportunities if you work hard and show you are capable of moving up in the company, but of course they have to like you in order for you to get that opportunity.
Co-worker competence- You run into idiots every where, it is impossible not too.
Work environment- Atleast at the store i work at the work environment is awesome. The managers are great with the associates and treat them like friends unless authority needs to be displayed. And the associates are all awesome. We get along great and hang out outside of work and it makes it that much more fun to work with them.

As far as people bashing the company about pushing scorecards and warranties and etc every company makes their company meet measurables. that is how ou evaluate people's performance and their work ethic. It is part of their job to push these things and if they are not exceeding then why should they still have a job? If an insurance agent doesnt sell insurance polocies then they arent going to keep their jobs.

The people bashing this company are the ones that got fired or under performed so they didnt like their job. Plus it is retail...it isnt for everyone.

Overall i think that the company is a great company to work for and would reccomend it as a place of employment to just about anyone.

From Chicago — 12/17/2007

I'm sorry for those of you that have had a bad experience. Mine has been good. I admit that the pay is pretty average for retail but that's what it is like everywhere.

The new district manager seems to be a good guy who is helping to turn the stores around. The healthcare is great. They give you a choice of HMO or PPO. I like that.

The discount isn't bad. 25%off apparel and footware. We have family nights where you get 35% off. That's alot better than some stores.

Job security-Do your job and you'll keep it. Do a great job and you can move up. Call in, complain, do little work and you lose your job.

Work/life-it's retail. The hours are what they are. If you want 9-5....don't do retail. I like have the day off during the week. It' much easier to get things done.

They have alot of locations. Not as much out west.

Some workers are better than others. Need more training in the different departments.

Overall it's a good place to work.