Working at Dell — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Dell pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Dell

From mid-atlantic region — 07/27/2010

Dell is a great place to work for three reasons:
#1 good managers
#2 flexible schedule
#3 a lot of training

but.................... the pay here sucks, compared to other IT professionals with equall or less skills we are seriously under paid, so don't come to dell looking for a big pay day!

From Round Rock, TX — 02/23/2010

Perfectly fine company. Has its own quirks. If you complain about what you are complaining about, wake up and smell the coffee. It's the real world. Whether here or there, you have to work and get the job done and be a well rounded invidividual.

From Round Rock, TX — 02/18/2010

Work like you care. Care about your customers. Give 100% while working. If any of the three sentences bother you, look elsewhere. While you are at it, just stop working and get on foodstamps.

From DOD, Ca — 02/01/2010

Dell is the worst company I have ever had the displeasure to work for in my entire career. The move to Dell from Perot cost me over $400.00 per month, mostly in increased health benefit costs. And the coverage is terrible. Meds are considerably more expensive.

We have no leadership or management locally at all. Our manager is on the east coast, and normally we only hear or see him once per year. We've been told no raises at all, even though the contract with the client has raises built in. Our shop is short handed, and no one is interested in filling the position, leaving us sinking to a certain doom.

At annual review time, we are given poor reviews, so they have an excuse to not give raises. There is no incentive to perform at all outside of our personal morals and character.

At our annual visit with management, a VP from our division was supposed to come out and talk to us. Not a call, not an email, just a no show. We are less important than other sites.

Thankfully, there are other contracts here that we can jump to. I will not tolerate the treatment we get here, the lack of respect, the total uncaring for our well being.

From Oklahoma City, OK — 12/22/2008

Most of the ratings can be explained by other peoples' reviews. It is a good place if you want to just have a job, but if you're looking for a career, keep looking. Shifts are assigned by "metrics," not by life circumstances, and they have no regard for your life outside of work (contradictory to their promise of work/life balance). Benefits were good and pay was "okay." Team coaches were great when needed (except the one on my team, he was more concerned with metrics than with customer service). That was another thing, they seem to only care about your numbers. Metrics work okay with sales goals and such, but technical support is a whole different pie. It's almost a completely different kitchen, to use an analogy. They don't care about giving techs the time to accurately fix a customer's problem and to support the people that went out on a limb to buy their computers. They only care about that 43-minute handle time. Some customers don't like it when you wipe out their system, start reinstalling their system, and then dump them off the line with "promise" of a call-back from the "outbound team" who may or may not call them back.

If you like to do computer technical work, do it in a shop in person. Build a good face-to-face reputation with your customers instead, it's better appreciated by customers!

From Nashville, Tennessee — 03/14/2008

Dell is an awesome place to work, especially if your in sales. Benefits start from day one, the pay is great and the work enviroment is like none other. I will admit it does take a certain kind of person to work there, but if your a competitive person you'll do just fine. Plus you get throw footballs around. lol

From Austin, Tx — 09/14/2007

I had an interview with this company and they really seemed to have it together, the pay was good for entry level ($14.50 p/h + Bonuses) for Asset Protection Specialist, they had a schedule & interview agenda, and emailed all documents to me ahead of time, and their recruiter was very nice to me. Although they are renown for hiring a load and then laying people off in droves, I accepted their request for an interview.

Their information said their benefits were "Exceptional", but honestly I couldn't find anything about their benefits that sets them apart from any other company. It is located on the corner of Yager Lane and the I-35 service/frontage road. There is a bus that stops right near there. I showed up for the interview early (at 1:30 p.m. My interview was scheduled from 2:00 - 2:30 p.m.) Their facilities were O.K., sort of "bungalow ish" and compared to other Dell facilities I've seen, it appears this may be the "red headed stepchild" comparatively speaking - it's kept away from the other Dell facilities and not as nice. I noticed that it's a little cubicle city, but that's common in the corporate world). The Security Guard and Recruiter were both very nice to me.

I was shown to a conference room and told that out of 6 supervisors scheduled to interview with me, only 2 needed to show up to interview me. The rest would be getting work done. I waited, and waited. The recruiter checked in 2 different times and told me that she would inform the persons responsible and make sure that someone would get there. Around 2:45 I walked out very upset. As I passed the "section" I was to work in, I saw a slovenly looking woman laughing and chumming it up in her office with someone else. I can't make assumptions, but she was obviously in management, and had to have been informed by the recruiter on one of her earlier 2 check in's right? Out of 6 people, there wasn't even 1 available to be on time? I thanked the recruiter for her time and informed her that if this was an indication of how employees were treated, or the place was run, I didn't want to work there, and that I was interviewing them just as much as they were interviewing me. She offered to have me speak to the HR Coordinator to "go over the benefits and the rest of it". I refused. I once new a fellow supervisor who had an "If they want the job they'll wait for it!" attitude, I knew when I saw that, I would never tolerate such disrespect and would never give a potential employer the pleasure of obtaining my expertise at the cost of the dignity and respect that I deserve.

I've rated them a 3 on items that I honestly don't have a clue about (to be fair) such as work/life balance, Growth, and Co-worker competence.

From Toronto, ON — 06/12/2007

If you are good at your job, you can make very good money. I see lots of people complaining about their pay at Dell, but maybe that is because they aren't as good as they think. I earned in the top 5% of salary.com for my job description. Respect is earned at Dell... sometimes by good work, but sometimes, for the wrong reasons too, so I have to score a 2 here. The benefits package at Dell is comparable with other Tier 1 vendors, score a 0 here to break even. Job security is very good at Dell *if* you are good at what you do, and have earned respect. If you aren't then just like anywhere else, expect to lose your job... If you are skating by, don't expect to keep your job anywhere. Work/Life balance is a constant problem. Working 80+ hour weeks is not abnormal. It is something that at least they pay lip service to, and when a difficult personal problem pops up, you do get the time off, score a -3 here. Career growth is difficult, often you are pigeon holed into a position or job type, there is lots of lateral movement, but limited upward mobility. Location is fine, if you don't like where you work, move or get a new job. Dell does tend to retain good people, but like any large organization there are idiots, co-worker competence tends to reflect dealing with the different departments. Morale is quite low, and the work environment is very difficult, score a -1. They do try to improve things with company events, but they tend to be geared towards the 20-30 set. Honestly, Dell can be a great place to work... work hard, be intelligent and you will get along fine.

From Ottawa, Ontario — 07/16/2006

One of the top 2 companies that I have worked for. The pay is good, enviroment is a new building, and the company is #1 for a reason. Too bad all companies are not this good ot their employees.

From Round Rock, TX — 05/05/2006

There's a good reason why Dell is ranked #1 last year for the most admired US company. It knows how to create a successful working environment. The company truly takes employee feedback and looks for ways to improve the overall work/life balance.

It's one of the few companies still opening and expanding in the US and adding more benefits for current employees. Everyone has individual results and feelings working for Dell but overall, I would argue that a vast majority love working for Dell. Dell knows how to be fair and make changes to better enhance our working lives.