Working at Deco Security Services — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Deco Security Services pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Explore More on Glassdoor.com

Reviews of Jobs at Deco Security Services

From Jeffersonville, IN — 09/25/2010

As a former employee and having been in Law enforcement/Security for 20+ years DECO Security is the best company I have ever worked for. I understand the contract issues between companies such as DECO and the federal government and know that in many instances the companies hands are tied due to restrictions put on them. DECO always went above and beyond to assist in matters concerning their employees. They have a good corporate staff that quickly handles problems as the arose and did the best they could to keep you informed during the process. They treated me and the others I worked with fairly and with respect even though we did not always get that from the government employees. If you were the kind of officer that went to work and done your job you had no problems. DECO unfortunatley lost the contract here in Jeffersonville due to being extremely underbid by another company and the employees paid the price. There has been a big increase in the turnover rate and the morale level has fallen into a black hole. I work for another federal contractor now that I wish was half as good as DECO. I would really like to see them get contracts back in our area. They are the best Security Service provider out there by far.

From Denver, Colorado — 08/25/2010

All 9 areas to be rated are certainly not the worst, but all have ample room for improvement.

As DECO Security Officers we continually face challenges - how we view them defines us! Do we choose to see the challenges as stepping-stones or as obstacles. If we choose to see them as obstacles, then the challenges we face will be viewed as problems - problems that need to be overcome along with all the negative connotations associated with problems. A great deal of wasted energy can be spent focusing on a negative mindset - mindsets like "I can't", "I won't", "I don't want to" and "I shouldn't have too".

As DECO Security Officers however, we should choose to see challenges as stepping-stones, opportunities that we have encountered along the way for us to use, to "step on" so that we can achieve more, develop further and ultimately actualize more of our goals!

There are many challenges that currently face us - let's focus on one main area. How do we procure a better Health & Welfare package for ourselves? Concerns and dissatisfactions with the current benefit package, when raised to management, were met with responses like "that's the way it is", "we can't do anything about it", "it's controlled by Corporate". It has become obvious that we should not only quietly sit back and accept these responses, but also refrain from addressing the issue any further, regardless of the negative impacts it may have on our own or families lives. The options with which you are provided under the company's current Health & Welfare benefit are limited, and controlled by the company. You as an individual should be allowed to choose your own best option, on how you want to invest your hard earned benefit. And the only way that this can be achieved is by having that benefit allocated to your paycheck, whereby you can make your own decisions on how to better utilize it. Thereby eliminating an obstacle and turning it into a stepping-stone of empowerment to allow for our personal freedom of choice.

The first step in winning this particular challenge and potentially other challenges has been successfully met. A stepping-stone of unity has been established by a majority 59-15 vote, allowing for union representation by the UGSOA (United Government Security Officers of America) Local 309 and UGSOA International. This strong showing of unity will add many voices, where once only single voices were heard and disregarded.

This outcome has required the hard work and diligence of several highly motivated individuals within our ranks, who have listened to many DECO Security Officers voicing their displeasure over issues involving their employment. Their motivations are clear, they want us to be capable of having our voices being heard collectively, to be provided with a platform to negotiate for changes that may eliminate obstacles that can affect our daily lives.

Admittedly, there have been some oversights, some missteps, some lack of clear and concise communication. This will be mitigated in the future when several key components are completed; an election to determine closed shop vs open shop, election of Local 309 Officers, a constitution and by-laws written and ratified. And most importantly a ratified Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA).

Our group of Security Professionals is fantastic, yet diverse. We have a kaleidoscope of professionals different in so many ways, with diverse skill sets and backgrounds. Some may choose to see diversity as an obstacle - dividing rather than unifying. We should see this diversity as a stepping-stone. We should focus on our individuals' strengths and talents to work together for a strong body of unification, to afford a sincere presence in fair negotiations for our rights and privileges . We are so fortunate to have personnel that have given willingly and passionately to get us to this point, thus far. We need to support their continuing efforts, by asking questions of them, attending meetings and becoming informed.

Realistically we still face many challenges, I suppose it's a lot like a day at the beach - magical and amazing! But then there is also the sunburn, the sand in your swimwear, cold water, hot sand and perhaps even a stomach that may be looking decidedly less "six-packish". We can look for the obstacles and it will spoil our day at the beach. Or we can look for the stepping-stones - and it will be magical!

From Cincinnati, Ohio — 04/10/2010

I work on a Govt. contract in Cincinnati, Ohio. I am currently a hourly paid Sgt. on dayshift. Our guards make great money. They did go this past year without insurance, but this was mostly due to a new Union starting(officers vote) with the new contract. As of April 1, 2010 our officers will receive a 6% raise AND will begin getting their $3.84 per hour H&W paid to them along with a .15 per hour uniform allowance. This is the second 6% raise in 2 years our officers have received. I see alot of people complaining about not receiving yearly raises. I have been on contract for almost 9 years and have gotten a raise every year except for 1. If you are union, the raises and H&W and all of those issues are are to be negotiated by the union president. The H&W money from the past year was rolled into the officers individual 401K plans that are held through the union since the were not given insurance or being paid out hourly. I though that was fair. Deco took over our contract in April of 2009 and I have had no problems with them to date. One thing that is great for my contract is that we have a great contract manager. If something is not right, he sees that it is taken care of.

From Oklahoma — 03/14/2010

Well all thought that when DECO took over the contract in Oklahoma that things would be better. It seems now it all boils down to the all mighty dollar no matter who it hurts. They hold out the money for our benefits, but dont pay them to the Union like the Federal Service contract act requires them to do. They don't even bother to pay the benefits to the employees. In times like these when the President is trying to make sure working people have health insurance, they have taken ours away by non payment to benefit fund. What ever happened to treating the employees like decent people? We get treated like we are dirt due to other employees in the state causing problems and we have never created any issues for any of our employers past or present. Why is it that the rules apply to the ones that make the money for DECO but don't apply to the management. Maybe some day the Federal Government will see the light and stop giving contracts to people that are like this that treats there employees like crap!

From Denver — 01/06/2010

Pay: We do get compensated well for what we do, however if you wish to promote the pay jumps a whopping 75 cents!

Respect: Some Federal employees do not respect us or even want us there, however most do. If you are pleasant at work and competent, you typically have no problems. The office lacks in this area as they will change your schedule and either notify you at the last minute or the day you show up. Some times post have been "double-booked", so when two officers show up, one goes home uncompensated and the other stays.
Also some "leadership" and I use that term lightly, talk down to some officers. This has improved some lately due to changes, but leadership is supposed to start at the top, isn't it?

Benefits: If you do not have health insurance and need it, DO NOT APPLY! What a joke. I would have been better off receiving my H&W and claiming no insurance when I went to the doctor. If we were paid this, we could buy our own. Why is this so hard to understand? and why won't they just pay it to us like they do in the Springs? Do we need a union up here too?

Job Security: I have read a lot about this and disagree with most others observations. If you are competent, you have nothing to worry about. As far as receiving complaints from federal employees, this is true. You will be moved, no questions asked, no explanations given. And this stinks because 1 person moved can displace many people. But being moved does not equate to losing your job. Don't abuse calling in sick, show up to work on time and just DO YOUR JOB. It's not hard. (Oh yeah, and attempt to pay your bills.)

Work/Life Balance: No issues

Career Potential/Growth: Again, does 75 cents sound worth it? You lose overtime ability so most officers would actually make less money. Also I am not quite sure what supervisors do besides collect time sheets and drop off memos and schedules. (I will claim ignorance on this one.)

Location: I have had to drive at times but for the most part the office has been accommodating and I am able to work at buildings closer to my residence. I do think they try to accommodate a high percentage of us.

CO-worker competence: Most officers are competent but a few have become complacent and unprofessional. These few create a negative work environment--we don't need it from you too! If it is so bad at this job that all you do is complain while you are there, I beg of you, QUIT! You are not only making it miserable for the rest of but are projecting a negative image to federal employees and perpetuating the "typical security guard" stereotype. And this is why we receive complaints.

Work environment: Some buildings have great federal employees who treat us as if we were part of their staff and other would just assume spit on us.......until someone comes in shooting.

Yes, Deco is in it for the money just as every other company still in business is. But I wish they would recognize without us, there would be no money. Pay us our H&W or give us real insurance. PEOPLE UNHAPPY=PEOPLE QUIT. PEOPLE QUIT=HIRE NEW PEOPLE. HIRE NEW PEOPLE=LESS $$$$ FOR DECO. It is simple economics. (I wonder if the HR person in Minnesota has our type of 'health insurance', I bet not.)

From Denver, CO — 06/09/2009

Pay- is great for the industry. These contracts are bid tight!!! Movement away from the government area wage will cause companies not to get the contract.In other words AMGARD is back...you see where that went. The government will even cap the amount of money a company can make... thus the tight bid! You want a fact...industry wide the average profit in big security firms is at or less than 3%. Other industries are significantly higher. (DECO +3) for making the effort to bid a contract and win! When other industries are much more profitable!

Respect- the training is top notch... best I have seen in the area. Those are some good folks...remember Madonna or Madina whats his name? Guy couldn't spell his own name...that's good because he probably changed it three times to avoid deportation. One of my coworkers was in the office the other day...and the guy in charge. Said something like...like you have to feed and water the troops. This is an old military cliche...take care of your people. I have been in the industry for a while. Most management folks don't care to voice it...most don't even know you exist. I take a wait and see attitude...toward leadership. At least I can use the word leader in the same breath with DECO. Supervisor's are much better than the usual suspects! But the old guy's could change your oil and check your breaks in under 5 minutes! They knew nothing about Security and less about people. DECO (+3)...

Benefits- Those are again government options when bidding contracts! Welcome to the industry...Securitas or Wackenhut...HA HA!

Job Security- What? Really... my brother sales cars for GM. I am having him fill out a application....it's a job, he has a degree! Leman Brothers was a job... be afraid...be very afraid....there are better qualified folks out there! Guess what Lemman Brothers people had job security for a 100 years. Try beating one of them out in a interview... Heck, try going back to college. You stand a post! You have the time. (DECO +1)

Work/Life Balance- DECO is fine here (+4).... what can I say. They bid posts in southern colorado...I don't work there. I work to pay for my family... guess what? that is the balance. I get to send my kids to college...my kids get to compete in a much tougher environment than government security. Yes, your kids can work for mine! Work life balance..ha...ha...only in Colorado.

Career Potential/ Growth: The worlds my oyster...lemons into lemonade. This is a tough industry... why didn't you make the cut when they had 12 openings in the state? Let me guess! DECO didn't see your potential... I am better in person than on paper... I don't translate well to new environments. I know some of these Supervisors...good folks! There is a good reason the old ones are gone. Two words (Jiffy Lube). Hold on, I didn't get picked either. I got it, they didn't choose me because....I spend way to much time typing in comments about a company who won a bid...based on government projections...and hired some quality people to run it. By the way, think what you like about Varner...he is a little assertive... however, Sandoval has been on this contract longer than me and he was at every post- had a great rep. He was the only thing respectable about the old supervisors. (+3)for DECO hireing the right people....you missed one! There was a guy who used to rotate tires at the Big O! Nope...he's back at AMGARD...good job!

Location- We live in Colorado for goodness sakes...government buildings... Mountains. Try growing up in Nebraska! Whatever, DECO (+4) just for not bidding Nebraska. My wife would make me move back!

Co-workers- DECO (+3) I like working with the quality guards...though interested only in bowling... I like bowling too. DECO is putting some quality on post and moving on! Moving on from Ol'guard...Good Ol'boy Guard...Complaciant Guard... Biker Guard...Your My Friend and Their Fired Guard...Jiffy Lube Guard... No Vacation Guard(which in my case was good because I had to vacation in Nebraska)..AMGARD. Moving on from standard guard into have some standards guard! My co-worker need to catch on... we loose this the next guy might not be as good as AMGARD.

Work Environment- DECO (+3) First of all, I knew the folks that we lost in the battle of COLORADO qualification and I mean this with all do respect SEE- YA. "Good Guard" is a subjective term. This is the same work environment that AMGARD had minus, the no vacations (again thank you, NEBRASKA), don't be sick, if there is a biker that can take your job- your oughta here! The job is a lot better, because they take there time to train their personnel from the ground up. Supervisor's have required training? really? No? interesting... The trainers here are on a differnt planet. That does not have to be so! How many times can we read out of the same book? Show me some karate...JOE MODONDA. Trainers...supervison...vacations...days off... paycheck on time...moving "Good Guards" back to AMGARD!I am changing my rating from a (+3) to a (+4), eventhough I will be in Nebraska alot this summer.

From Lakewood — 06/08/2009

Pay - the pay is at +4, because most people whom do the same job that we are required to preform get paid between 14K and 24K a year. lol we make almost double that in a year. it would be a 5 if we got annual pay raises. but that will only happen if we make Deco look good by doing the best that we can. I have seen this in the past. people complain about the lack of pay raises as they are standing around smoking and joking for an hour or so. In there uniforms unshaven, after going 2 rounds with the wrinkle monster.

Respect - I rated it a 3, the respect comes as you prove yourself to the contracting company and to the clients. its a 2 way street. from what I understand Deco is far above what amguard will ever be. the supervison I havent had to much contact with upper management. but the sgt staff is far better then could be expected.

Benefits - a 1, they suck but hey its far better then not having any at all. like over half of the US. and they are paid for.

Job Security - I rated it a 4, we have work (better then not having work). and unless you dont want to follow the rules then you will still be working.

Work/Life Balance - I rated it a 4, I have worked many a security company that just throws the work requlations out the window. so far Deco has not. but I do agree with some of the other postings rotating shifts blow. but its in the contract that all guards are trained on all job sites. I have yet to figure out a way that this can be acomplished with out rotating shifts. any Ideas would be great

Career Potential/Growth - its based on ablity, there are not that many posistions available for all the compatant personnel that Deco has hired. So the more sites we get the more supervisors will be created. its a mean cycle.

Location - i rated it a 4, there are locations that are way closer to where I live. But some of the old guard (from amguard) dont want to give up those posts. so i am stuck driving abit farther then Deco would like. It has been discussed with me more then once with the sgts. but so far i have only been to one post that didnt sit well with me. all the other posts where wayyyy better.

Co - worker Cometence - I rated it at a 4, because I have worked with more good then bad. and the bad have been moved on. so it is getting better.

Work Environment - I rated it at a 5, I have worked in some ugly places in my time. and Deco is making inprovements as they can, but hey the wheels in gonvernment are slow.