Working at David's Bridal — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about David's Bridal pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at David's Bridal

From maryland — 09/22/2010

I have been with this company for close to two years now. I am being super honest.

Pay: The pay is okay for me. It is 8.50 an hour plus commission. You ONLY get commission if you sell 150 an hour or more. So, if you sell 140 an hour, you are safe (They write people up if you do not sell 140 for two pay periods straight if you are a Non Bridal Consultant) but you will not get paid the commission, i think the commission is less than 5% if I am not mistaken.

Respect: I respect my managers and the assistant managers. One of the assistant managers was a Wedding Consultant for 15 years before she got promoted to manager; she has a friggin power trip! The store manager is pretty cool though; he thinks on a very even field, but I do think he plays favorites though amongst the Consultants.

Benefits: I think it is either 20% or 25%, my memory is shotty because I have not bought anything from the store since I was a part of a wedding. The discount will only come in handy if yoy wear A LOT of dresses, are a Bride (or bride's maid), or LOVE shoes (the shoes you can dye).

Job Security: It is pretty secure IF YOU ARE GREAT AT SELLING. The store wants money, so if you do not bring it in and you are part time, they will cut your hours. No having a meeting or giving a heads up, they just do it.

Work/Life Balance: It is pretty balanced, no complaints here

Career Potential/Growth: They do not do the Nordstrom and only hire within the company, they except outsiders too. But, they do promote within the company, it may take longer but they do it.

Location: A very diverse crowd, we have the rich clientèle and the tourists, and the all in between. This place is about 20 mins from me.

Co-worker Competence: Pretty nice, if you are full time, there is dental, animal insurance, health etc etc.

Work Environment: It is friendly amongst the other consultants and the CSRs but it is just that one manager I mentioned previously that can make it a hostile environment.

From Michigan — 12/05/2009

I have been a parttime consultant for several years and yes, you make money. For those who find reaching the commission rate unreasonable are simply one (or both) of two things: 1) poor salespeople 2)don't believe in hard work. In my years of working for the company, I have not made commission MAYBE 5-6 times. I average about $15 a year, which is not bad for part time. As a part timer, I've hit 10,000 several times...hitting 12,000 for a FULL TIMER is not difficult.

I will say, when people are hired they do have misconceptions of the company. That it's just fun and games all day long, and that it's not hard work. Trust me when I say it is hard work, but it is incredibly rewarding! Not only for commission in your paycheck, but also to make your customers so happy that you found their dress. It is not easy as it looks.

Each store is individually managed and therefore you will find differences between stores, but those who had poor managers do not reflect management from other stores.

As far as turnover goes, david's bridal has a season just like any other store, you hire seasonal help. Other associates may get the boot because they are consistently not selling. Why would a company keep a consultant who has poor sales? If you owned the company, would you? Because of my hard work, I am consistently a top performer at the store, and never once I have gotten written up for poor performance. It is possible! The individuals that complained, simply are not salespeople.

If you have a go-getter personality, motivated, have a drive to succeed, it is the company to be a part of. The wedding industry is unlike any other. The customers can be extremely difficult to work with, but at the end of the day I truly believe in what I do: making sure that every single one of my customers is taken care of and making sure that they leave happy. Because I work as hard as I do, i notice it in my paychecks. It's not the type of retail job where you just fold sweaters and open a fitting room. It is much much more.

From Ft. Wort, Texas — 11/18/2009

I read the comments posted on the David's Bridal in Ft. Worth, Tx, and I have to say that I completely disagree. I have worked for the company for several years, most recently in that location. I find the store manager to be highly motivating, and as concerened for my success as for her own. She shoulders the responsibility of managnig her own store, and is an area manager over 2 other locations. She is warm and engaging, and works hard to develop each of us to our potential.

The only issues I have seen over the past years have been with associates who were lazy, and expected to be compensated for nothing. If you are willing to work hard, instead of spending your time at work complaining and gossiping, you can and will earn a good living. The manager and current management team are great to work with. They hold us accountible to serving our customers, and are appercitive of the work we do.

From tx — 11/18/2009

The company believes in taking care of its customer and puts customer service first. Anyone on here writing horrible things are upset because they lost their jobs because they were not willing to put in the effort to take care of the customer. The company loves its people, but love its brides above all! The best company in the world to work for if you want to make dreams come true!

From Texas — 11/18/2009

Out of all the companies I have worked for, the pay is highly competitive, and the benefits are among the best! The company is very well structured and I feel like they want to take care of the people that work there.

From PA — 08/28/2009

worked there as a alts manager and felt that there was too much expectation and responsiblitly on the alts team for what you got back. DM's and RAM's don't know enough about each others duties to have a cohesive productive end. They don't get watched enough yet they seem to reep the bennies.

From Florence, KY — 04/07/2009

I love my part time job with David's Bridal in florence,KY. I do not agree with other review. I make a ton of money for a part- time job. Sometimes I can make over $20.00 per hour. The staff is great we get along like one big happy family. All of the managers are great too, they are always around to help close the sale and give us the support we need. I would recomend this job to anyone who can multi-task, not afraid of hard work, and have fun with the customers. It is a great place to work and have fun.