Working at David Jones — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about David Jones pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at David Jones

From Australia — 03/31/2010

As mentioned in the other review, the department managers do not care about their staff, their roster or their conditions. Neither does upper management. Store managers care only for profit, not for the comfort of staff. I am a student and I thought working for DJs would have been a step up in the jobs I'd previously had. Not so. The pay is good but as a casual employee I have gone from working nearly everyday (they don't let you work 7 days a week if you're able, go figure) to gaining more income from student welfare (which is below the poverty line in Australia) than from my position. I'm now lucky if I get one three hour shift in a two week period.

In addition to this, I have made my availabilities clear to my manager, however they continually roster me on for days I am unable to work. When I point this out, the shift I cannot work is not made available on another day (As a full time uni student, I have very good availabilities four full days per week, plus half of one as well as nights). Also, since I have been trying to find other employment, I have received no responses from any of the positions I have applied for - this has never happened before and I blame having David Jones on my CV. I've worked at supermarkets that have treated me more considerately as an employee than David Jones. I'd like to point out, too, that the sales I have made have been over double my budget, however my manager has not bothered to offer either more shifts or a permanent part time position and has instead hired two more casual employees.

Also, the department I work in has a persistent problem with a foul smell, believed at first to be a dead animal and now thought to be a broken sewerage pipe. Despite repeated requests to upper management, nothing has been nor will be done to rectify the situation, despite seriously hampering employees to work effectively.

From Sydney — 11/06/2009

Everything about a retail job at David Jones is fine. All DJ stores are in convinient locations as it is a major department store. The pay is okay, though it is just the minimal wage for each age group. And worker's discount is alright, though only 10%, considering that as a department store it stocks a variety of brands that we can have access too. The best thing about working at DJs is the co-workers who are very supportive, friendly and genuinely care for each other.

However I find that the managers are not very organised. Perhaps because the stores are so big, they do not call the workers to notify them of their work rosters. This is particularly bad for the new workers who at times aren't even called to be notified that they have been rostered to start work.

Also, because many of the workers are students, the managers do not respect staff members and rather focus on using staff for soley for work purposes. In particular, my manager does not attempt to build a working relationship with her staff. She shows no sympathy when a worker calls in sick and instead accuses him/her lying to get out of work.