Working at Dairy Queen — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Dairy Queen pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Dairy Queen

From Stanford, KY — 06/19/2010

I worked at Dairy Queen while in high school, and I (for the most part) enjoyed it. Most of management was nice. One was a little off her rocker - like Dairy Queen was the most important place in the world. She made me cry once, but I know she was just trying to teach me. She just came across as mean. I enjoyed the girls I worked with, and made some extra cash. They really worked around my schedule. When I wanted to do "high school" things like Homecoming and prom, they were very nice about not putting me on the schedule. I think it's because I worked whenever they needed me. HATED working drive-thru though. I was always expected to do drive-thru AND keep up with people ordering inside. THen they'd yell at me when I'd FORGET what I was doing! What in the world? After some customers complained, they stopped putting me in drive-thru - a blessing in disguise:)

From Hilliard, Ohio — 03/16/2009

First off - Dairy Queens are franchises. The pay, environment and management will vary widely between locations because they are owned an operated by completely different people. One can not say "Working for Dairy Queen is terrible" without the qualifier "working for MY Dairy Queen is terrible."

With that said, the Dairy Queen in Hilliard, Ohio is wonderful. I worked there for 4 years spanning part of high school and college and I made far more than I would at any other part time job. Raises were given often and the every employee received a sizable bonus at the end of the year. The owner also took everyone out for dinner around Christmas.

Scheduling was always done around the employees' prior commitments which made it perfect for high school students that were involved in extra-curricular activities. They were also the only place that would hire 15 year olds (other than the local grocery store which paid about half).

No place of employment is perfect, but for a fast food restaurant, I can not imagine there are many better. Employees are clearly valued and compensated well, and the longer you work there, the better your end of the year bonus. The few employees who did not do well during my tenure were either extremely incompetent or just impossible to please.