Work at CVS — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about CVS pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at CVS

From Maple Grove, MN — 06/28/2009

Pay: I work as a Shift Supervisor, which is like an assistant manager, just with less pay and hours. I've been with the company almost 4 years now, and they have been really good about giving me the raises I deserve. I started as a photo technician, then became a shift supervisor, then became full time. I make a livable wage - but I worked hard for it.

Respect: I get respect from my coworkers and my managers. I have earned it though by working hard and giving the same respect to my peers.

Benefits: They give part time and full time benefits. The part time benefits were really crummy, but when I became full time it was much better. I get medical, dental, vision, the works. Only bad thing is I have to get my prescriptions filled only at CVS, but that figures, eheh.

Job Security: From what I've been told, this year CVS isn't laying people off but instead upper management and corporate people are not getting raises in order to not lay people off. So, job security is good.

Work/Life Balance: They are very willing to give me what days I ask off, and I work about 30 to 40 hours a week. I have time to get things done in my personal life when I need too.

Career Potential/Growth: I have been asked several times to become an assistant manager, work in the pharmacy, etc.. but I like where I am now, but there is always an opening to growth.

Location: My store is about 15 minutes away, and here in Minneapolis they are opening more stores as the year goes on.

Co-worker Competence: Okay, this one is iffy. There are some coworkers that I work with that are loyal and respectful and do the best job they can do. We also have some high school kids that are in it just for a paycheck who really don't try. But they are good kids, just not very motivated!

Work Environment: Not bad, can get kinda messy in the store but with dozens of customers and their little kids messing things up.. and the groups of teenagers that come in and mess around... it's a neverending battle. But hey, I get paid to clean up, so yea. Just wish I didn't have to do it every night.

So, overall CVS isn't a bad place to work. I actually like all of my coworkers, and I like my pay. The worst part is usually the customers... but that's retail for you.

From Nanticoke, PA — 06/26/2009

Their vastly underpay their employees and don't us enough tools to run the store.

From OH — 05/28/2009

I have worked in the pharmacy for about a year now.
I started out getting paid $7.00 an hour, which raised to $7.30 in about 6 months after I had completed all of my training. After I got certified as a tech, my pay went up to $8.50 which I can't complain too much about. But for the amount of work that we are doing, I still don't think that it is enough.
The respect is alright in my store, everyone is pretty nice and works together well. There is one pharmacist who does not respect anyone, and is extremely temperamental. But if you do your job quickly and efficiently without asking too many questions, she will leave you alone for the most part.
The benefits are decent too, we get 20% of everything in the store, and 30% CVS brand items. Reminding everyone that those items you are getting at a discount could be purchased at the nearest Wal-Mart for about a dollar cheaper. I can't comment on their health benefits since I do not recieve those.
Job security is really good at my store, as long as you come everyday and do your job, you will stay. If you get three write ups, I believe you get fired...but no one seems to get written up at my store.
Personally, my work/life balance is pretty nice since I only work about 20 hours a week. I do go to college full time though, but I find that I usually have plenty of time to do homework and go out with friends.
I would suppose there is some potential growth in the pharmacy, since I went from nothing to being a pharmacy tech in about 8 months. If you are going to school to be a pharmacist you can also intern there, but I am not going to school for that.
The location of my store is about 5 minutes away from my house, so it is very convenient.
Co-worker competence is pretty good, I would say only about 2 of our employees are a little on the dippy side. The majority of my co-workers know what they are doing, and are very helpful if you have a question.
The work environment can be chaotic, since we are a very busy store. Things are breaking frequently, such as registers, and computers tend to freeze, and our mats are not taped to the floors anymore.
I don't LIKE going to work, but I would say that it's not a terrible job. It would be a downright great job if it weren't for that one pharmacist and the customers. Most of the customers are nice and patient, but you do get the nut-jobs who don't like to wait or get irate when you tell them their prescription is too soon.
Overall, it's not so bad.

From camp springs, md — 03/25/2009

i loved my job at cvs but you have to give respect to get it. I worked part time, there were benefits I could get but didn't bother to, so I don't know how good or bad they were. If you leave on a good record, you can always reapply if you want. not to much career growth but i would say that it is a good starting job. the location I worked at was great, the people I worked with were great also. I think it's really dependant on your job location and coworkers wether or not you enjoy a job.

From pa — 03/10/2009

pay: pretty good, as long as you do your work you get hours and more money.
respect: not much, but it's that whole retail drama scene, it's easier to just stay under the radar and do whatever work you're supposed to do. try not to get too involved in politics, even tho some managers and coworkers will try to drag you down into their cliques and who's who.
benefits: good medical coverage.
job security: a lot of turnover due to the politics of the people and not being treated with respect.
work/life balance: good. they are pretty upfront with hours if they like you.
career potential/growth: depends if you have skills they need to move you up in the company.
location: one on every street corner.
co-worker competence: not much. most managers push their 20-something employees into management over the teens and part timers and they take advantage of being in charge and just sit around all the time.
work enviroment: crappy, toilets always overflowing in many of the stores i worked at.

okay if you plan to stay a couple of years, but not the greatest of companies. most people could do better.

From New Jersey — 02/12/2009

I was a store manager for 8 years, making less than people walking in the door with less experience than me. I loved my job but was tired of being passed up for promotions by people who like to be up people's butts. I left the company to find another retail managment job where I could move up based on my skills not my kissing skills.

From Minneapolis, MN — 09/16/2008

CVS was overall a great company to work for. I worked there for over three years, beginning as a cashier at $7.50/hour and moved up into a store manager role making very descent money within two years. I have no college degree and had very little experience upon joining CVS, and they gave me the chance to succeed. CVS definitely rewards hard work and dedication - encouraging a "promote from within" culture. They are good at recognizing good work, and as one of the fastest growing companies in the country, there is endless growth potential. My biggest complaint is definitely the amount of workload and hours you are forced to work as a salaried manager. At the time I left, I was working 80-90 hour weeks. They would constantly cut hours leaving you with just one manager and one cashier on the floor and usually just the pharmacist in the pharmacy. It was next to impossible to complete all the tasks given the amount of staff you could have on the clock at a time.

Pay was average for a salaried retail manager position at this type of store. A store manager in a high-volume department store will definitely make more, but the pay here is more than enough to live comfortably. Cashiers and other positions were also very average, but ranged greatly depending on the store - stores that were harder to fill positions paid better.

I felt very respected by all levels of management at CVS, including the area and regional managers.

Benefits were average, but slightly better than what I had at another national retailer.

Job Security was solid, as long as you did your job and followed the rules.

Work/Life Balance was horrible as a manager, working 80-90 hour weeks on a frequent basis.

Career Potential & Growth was unlimited, I rose from a cashier to a store manager in 2 years - but I also worked my butt off to get there. They encourage success of their employees. The CEO himself began as a simple pharmacist.

Location depends on where you live, some parts of the country are flooded with stores, some have very little, so there is no way to rate this.

Co-Worker Compentence varied often, like all retail stores. You had some who were very compentence, and others who weren't - but they wouldn't last too long at CVS.

The overall work environment was above average for retail. Retail in itself is very difficult.

From Key West FL — 08/04/2008

Loved this Job. Started as Shift b and then got promoted to Assistant Manager. It was a 24 hour store so I had to work the overnight shifts but other than that I had a great schedule. We tried our best to keep everyone on the same schedule week after week so that the support staff could still have a life outside of work. Management Team was wonderful as well as our District Management Team. Great Place to work!

From Florida — 04/23/2008

This is the easiest job ever. I'm a shift A. Started as cashier, got promoted to Shift b in two weeks. Pretty much make my own schedule. Management likes to hide hours, so they don't go over the budget. It's very laid back though; just keep yourself busy and you'll go long way.

From Warner Robins, GA — 03/03/2008

I didn't rate benefits because I opted not to have any. For the most part, the store I work at is great as far as work dynamic. I have a great boss who really has a nice balance on fairness. She never belittles anyone and will not allow any customer to belittle her employees. The pay is decent and she is fair in raises as long as you are doing what is expected of you. It is relatively easy to get promoted fairly quickly as a store manager (maybe 1-1/2 years), but expect to work a lot of hours. We have a top-performing store and are always been visited by the Dm and Regional Manager, but my boss works 50+ and works her behind off!! Sometimes I wonder how she balances work and home, but I know she loves her job. The downside is she receives a great monetary raise every year, but she is well overdue for a better position offer which she greatly deserves! That is one thing I hate. It seems that there is a glass ceiling once you get to a store management position. Most people have been doing it for many years and that is the end of the line.