Working at CVS — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about CVS pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at CVS

From Fort Myers, FL — 05/14/2010

I work at CVS full-time as a Shift Supervisor B.

Pay: Not horrible, but not great either. Im only making 9.75/hour.

Respect: No matter where you work or what position you're in, if you're in retail you will NEVER get any respect from customers. As an hourly manager, i feel respected by both the salaried managers and clerks in my store. The pharmacy employees, especially the pharmacists, have no respect for anyone in the front store. They treat us like we're beneath them.

Benefits: Not bad for full-timers. I hear they suck for part-timers though. Also, we get 30% employee discount off CVS brand products and 20% off everything else in the store.

Job security: I feel secure in my job. Unless you really screw up, its quite difficult to get fired from CVS.

Work/life balance: I usually only get around 35 hours a week, even though im full-time. Plenty of time to have a life outside of work.

Career potential/growth: in this economy, stores are opening at a slower rate and openings for management positions are few.

Location: there are CVS stores everywhere, however my store is a 45-minute drive away.

Co-worker competence: most associates are good workers that know what they're doing. There is a few who are lazy college/highschool children and a few who are idiots, but for the most part you can rely on everyone doing their job correctly.

Work environment: Not bad for retail. CVS is a fairly laid back environment, you have plenty of time to get all your work done, have your lunch, and give your cashier a lunch before the store closes. Customers suck, but are not as bad as other companies ive worked for. Management at my store is good.

From Coconut Creek, FL — 02/26/2010

Pay was terrible. I was getting paid 6.75 and was there for almost 2 years. What pissed me off even more about my pay was how I was constantly told how good of an employee I was but had yet to receive a raise! The managers, while they lasted, where really cool but clearly showed how much they hated their job. I was there back in 2006 so the district manager then was an a-hole. He was really rude and acted as if he was God. I heard he's gone now and they have some new district manager but I could honestly care less. I felt safe at work esp with my paranoid manager that would follow every customer when it was near closing time to constantly remind them that the store will be closing soon. Lmao. The co workers were really nice and made you feel like you were home with the family. The other thing that I really hated about my CVS was that they would have one employee working the entire store. That means I had to work the photo lab, ring up customers, assist customers that couldn't find a product, and straighten up the store! I would never ever become a manager at CVS because they did just as much work as me if not more sometimes and I know for a fact that their pay wasn't that great. My bosses and co workers is what made me stay as long as I did.

From PA — 02/18/2010

If you want to work for a company with no moral values... this is the company for you... more drama then high school!

From WV — 02/01/2010

I've been at CVS for almost 2 years. I loved it, but it did have it's times. I got about 13 hours a week!, that was the only problem I had with the company. I loved my co-workers, and knew exactly how to do everything. Now I got another job at Rite Aid, getting 30 hours every week!...I wanted to work one day at CVS( I still love it) I talked to my manager and he said one day I could work at Rite Aid and work one day a week at CVS...2 days later he told me he has been THINKING about it, and I can't do both!!! That I had to choose! For me CVS was an okay company to work for, not GREAT pay but i could deal with it. The company can treat you bad, if you let them. I work(ed) as a cashier, and My manager depended way too much on the employees. He told us that he didnt care if we had to danger our lives to get to work in WV in the middle of the worst snow storm in years!. Overall CVS is a GOOD company to work for, NOT THE BEST.

From Altamonte Springs, FL — 01/06/2010

The pay is not so great, but it's retail, so there aren't many places that will pay good in retail. My manager is wonderful, but I hardly ever see him. My coworkers are competent for the most part, but there are some things that they should know, but don't. The biggest problem with CVS is that we only have one person cashiering and that person also has to straighten, answer the phones, and help customers find items. Customers come up to the counter all the time and yell at me for not being there at the exact second they walked up there. I've heard about this problem from other CVS stores also. Overall, CVS has good benefits, even for part timers, pay that is underwhelming but expected for retail, and is understaffed but won't hire anyone because of the economy (my guess, anyway). It's a decent job, but definitely not a career.

From CA — 12/16/2009

This place has been a joke so far. I would be rich if I had a dollar for everytime I was told that I will be fired from this place. Change needs to happen. We need to do a better job of treating people with respect. Just because the economy is horrible does not give the right to management to treat people like they don't matter. The payroll is a joke. I understand that in a time like this it is necessary to cut back However, when you do it to the extent of over whelming the associates we are only hurting ourselves in the long run.

From Fort Lauderdale, FL — 10/27/2009

I have worked at a CVS/pharmacy in Fort Lauderdale before I moved to LA and I miss it so much. I was paid 10 dollars an hour and used to work at least 40 hours a week while here I work at a stupid movie theater that pays 8 bucks and I get only 20 hours a week. All my managers and shift supervisors were really sweet and cared about me; also, they were very patient while teaching me to do stuff in the beginning. Besides, my duties (cashier) were very easy and I got the chance to interact with people all the time, which was awesome. CVS offers great discounts for employees, like 30% off their brand and 20% off other stuff I guess, so I used to shop there a lot. And the location was absolutely great: only 4 blocks away from the beach. Loved it!

From Blue Bell, PA — 10/22/2009

CVS is a great company. I think we all know that. Want to work there? Expect to not make any money and do a ton of work. CVS Corporate cut payroll hours by almost 50-75 hours a store, so that means that its the same amount of work on less people. Managers are stressed beyond belief and are always under tons of pressure.

Pay stinks.

Benefits are pretty good actually.

Work environment is terrible as well. Try juggling 14 pallets worth of merchandise in a backroom that only fits 12 pallets worth.

From Staten Island, New York — 09/22/2009

Your experience with this company vastly depended on what store you work. Everyone has a different managing style. I worked at 2 CVS stores and absolutely hated the first one and LOVED the second one.

i Worked at the first CVS for 8 months
At the first CVS I worked at The management was horrible,, the hours sucked if you weren't among the favorites, did i mention they picked favorites! they trained who they want for register and everyone else was stuck lifting boxes in the basement, cleaning under the conveyor belt. Micro-managing was a huge problem. Not to mention the managers were extremely snide and condescending. You had to ask for something to do every five minutes which was annoying for both you {the entry level employee[crew member] ) and the manager.. the manager made sure he/she showed how annoyed he/she was. But God forbid you don't ask the manager for something to do.. they'll attack you. Everyone was always really awkward and sometimesy.. it wasn't a comfortable environment at all. There was always tension between everyone. I felt like a guinea pig the whole time i was there. They have like 10 assistant managers and shift supervisors that you have to call up the front for every little thing..
When they get tired of the old crew members they hire 10 new people and train the first blonde with a great smile for the register .
This store is all about perfecting things customers could care less about

AT THE SECOND CVS my experience was the exact opposite. It was like a dream come true compared to my first experience. Hours were great. I was trained immediately after starting. The staff was appalled to know how i was being treated at my previous CVS. Everyone genuinely smiles (not forced) and is very respectful. They are very laid back, as well as professional. As long as you got your work done you were on good terms. The staff are really close and make you feel good and welcome. The top store manager was very understanding and laid back. FARRR from a micro manager. This CVS is also very diverse. Managers were knowledgeable leaders, but not condescending jerks. You could talk to them like regular human beings. This CVS is very loyal to there employees. They don't hire replacements and cut your hours. I was trained for photo within my first week.

What stinks about both these CVS stores and all CVS stores, they start you at minimum wage. But if you get a good amount of hours it's decent. and if you raise your postion to photo, pharmacy, shift supervisor etc - you see an increase in wages. Also as time progresses I believe after a 6-mos to a year you see 25 cent raise. not sure

OVERALL - GREAT experience with one CVS and HORRIBLE with another.
I suggest privately interviewing an employee within the store you want to apply to get a feel for the place. It really depends greatly on management style

From NY — 08/12/2009

I worked my ass off for this company and nobody appreciated or noticed anything I did. Now that I quit a week ago, I hope they start to realize what a mess the store is going to be. I constantly organized and cleaned the place.

The managers were nice, except this one who you'd really have to get on her good side for her to be nice to you. I felt like every time I called a manager to the front, for 20's or to scan their card to override a return, that it was MY fault. They would walk sluggishly to the front of the store while I'm desperately waiting for them with a huge line of impatient customers. Walking to the front of the store to give me change is NOT that hard at all. Am I supposed to apologize because a customer paid with a hundred dollar bill? Or if I need pennies?
I don't even know what they do when they sit for hours in the office. They worked their way up to be in management, but sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who is controlling the store with everything that I did.

My boss had also promised me to be head cashier 4 months ago. This would have surely fixed my annoyance of asking a manager for change because with this position, I could just get it myself. He never followed up on it though. He promised everyone everything, but never actually put it to action. I confronted him about it after I heard he promised it to a new girl and 2 other employees as well. He gave me the excuse that I needed to work at least 4 days a week, but I already have been for the past year. He didn't think I still did. I definitely deserved that position. I would have taken it, but I realized that I did NOT want to go through another school year of working until 11pm while getting up at 5am for school. Not to mention my grades of my most important year in high school suffered because of this job. I wish I would have had more time focusing on my grades instead of working 5 days a week at this place. The money was not worth my lack of sleep and decreasing grades.

The only good things about this job are that I worked with my friends, my boyfriend, and I lived just 5 minutes away.