Working at Cracker Barrel — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Cracker Barrel pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Cracker Barrel

From Sharonville, Ohio — 09/14/2010

If you are just looking for a job while in college, a job to pay off your debts, or a job just to have some extra spending money, Cracker Barrel is the place. I worked at Cracker Barrel while in college, and now I am working at Cracker Barrel while I am in between jobs and getting my master's degree. As a server, I make pretty good money. The way I look at it, it's better than being unemployed and it's better than having to get food stamps. Most of the management is very respectful, although there is one particular manager that comes to mind that tends to demean others and jump to conclusions. As far as benefits go, you are not eligible for their insurance plan for several months after you work there, and even after that, it's not very good. The good thing is I never have to worry about losing my job, and because I am a good worker, I was able to come back when I left due to some family issues for a couple of months. I am able to get off for most of the days I request off, so there is a good work/life balance. Don't count on much career growth while here, I would just do your job and either plan on working that job for a while or plan on moving on to bigger better things. All Cracker Barrels are easily located along major highways, so you get a lot of travelers in the summer. As for my co-workers, they vary. I work with a lot of young lazy people, and a lot of seasoned, older, somewhat bitter people. This works to my advantage since I enjoy serving and sometimes others don't want tables...more money for me!

Overall, Cracker Barrel is a great job if you like serving others, and only need some extra money on the side.

From minnesota — 06/23/2010

I worked there as the night clean up guy. I liked my co-workers and the managers were very flexible
in terms of my schedule. It was a fun part time job.

From TN — 04/27/2010

Wow, I feel like an outsider here. I like my job at cracker barrel. The managers I work with are (generally) respectful and don't pick favorite among the workers. The rules are strict, but if you have any work ethic and your not lazy it's not bad. If you are lazy I recommend you go work at wal-mart because that's all your good for. I do know though that not all cracker barrels are this way. But not all of them are terrible, a lot of them are, just not all.

From Minnesota — 04/21/2010

I loved working for Cracker Barrel. They were always very fair and supportive. The only thing i didnt like was you cant have your paycheck directly deposited into your bank account.

From Columbia, Missouri — 01/04/2010

I've read all of the reviews about the Barrel, and some of the things said I do agree with. I really think I got lucky, because I love my job. I have a great management team. They are caring and supportive. Our GM is awesome. He always has time to talk to you, no matter what is going on, makes you laugh when you feel stressed out and want to cry, and is understanding if you are sick or have some personal issues going on. I agree that the tip money has gone down due to putting more servers on the floor. Here's a thought- if people were doing their work and keeping up, they wouldn't have to put more people on the floor! DUH!!! As far as claiming tips is concerned, by law, you are supposed to be claiming 100 percent of tips, and only the people who don't do that get penalized. Working in a restaraunt is always stressfull, especially on the weekends. Put up or shut up!!! If you can't handle it, go somewhere else, I guarentee you that it will be the same. Sidework can be time consuming, especailly when you have to roll 60-120 silverware. If you keep it up during your shift, you won't be there for an hour, and silverware takes 10 minutes. I don't know, it seems like all of the people who wrote these reviews must have terrible managers and lazy co-workers. With the right team, this is an awesome job.

From Midwest City, Ok — 04/20/2009

I worked for CB for a little over a year. The CB I worked at was hit by the May 3rd tornadoes in '99. We had a great staff. Managers were great, coworkers were awesome and we didn't have turnover. When the tornado hit, the company paid us one weeks pay, and offered to transfer to another store. In the OKC area we had 3 others to choose from. I chose to keep working for CB because they always showed they cared about us. To me if I was living where the was a CB, I would work there in a heartbeat. It has always been the job I loved the most.

From Memphis & Jackson, T — 08/22/2008

I worked for CB for 5 years, and loved it! I started working right before my 18th birthday (which is not allowed), but they made the mistake of hiring me early, so they let me stay. All in all, I had a great experience there- the only negative is that I got fired once for cursing about a disagreeable guest... in the kitchen... while crying about the way that she was verbally abusing me. They have a no tolerance policy for cussing, you must be "country fresh!!!!" However, a call to the district manager got me back on board in the same week. As for good experiences, I loved most of my managers, and the fact that the other employees were pretty decent people. I had many experiences of amazing blessings from guests including a brand new video camera, sixty dollar tips from single people, and many other 20 and up tips. I worked until I was hugely pregnant, and I still felt like working every day. I liked the fact that the people who work there are not the same types of people that you would see working in bars or something, they were more family -types (although not all of them). The PAR system allowed people to be recognized for their work ethic and their attention to detail. I also think that it is great that there are so many all over the U.S. - over 500 now, it's amazing. I think that my favorite part of the job was being exposed to all of the travelers from all over the U.S. and the world; I liked to show them that not all southern people were dumb! I really had so many memorable experiences that I could never list them all- including meeting my husband, who was a grill cook/shift leader. I think that working at CB really strengthened me as a person, and helped to better prepare me for the world, both in business and in my personal life. You have no idea how much a simple job can do in your life!

From Somewhere, Virginia — 08/11/2008

I worked for CB for six years and I can honestly say after getting a so-called "real job" that I would rather be back there dishing out white gravy, dealing with bitter old people, running back and forth to get bread, pulling my hair out when we ran out of damn near everything damn near every night, and going home every day smelling like a deep-fried cigarette. It had plenty of problems (what restaurant doesn't?), but I miss the friendship and good times that I had with almost everyone I worked with. Maybe it was our store, but my experiences with co-workers, including management, were far more positive than the experiences others have described here. When I first started there I made excellent tips because the GM at the time preferred less servers, meaning more tables for everyone. He left about a year after I started, and the new GM had twenty or more servers working each shift. That meant three (sometimes two, if you weren't one of the gang yet) tables. And that sucked. Tips were never the same after he took over the store. The "guests" at CB are often less than desirable. While I did have a few great regulars and a lot of friendly customers in my years there, in general what we got was drunken redneckery, ghetto fabulosity, and people who thought they could eat for free. CB is terrible about giving customers free food for ANY ridiculous reason. The customer is always right even when they are obviously, outlandishly wrong. I think CB is too afraid of any more lawsuits to dare refuse a customer their free food. I also had to deal with a lot of walkouts because of CB's horribly designed, happy, cutesy "old country store," where customers can easily skip out on a meal right past the busy, overworked cashiers who can't pay attention to people coming out of the restaurant when they're cutting fudge, wrapping gifts for other "guests," and generally pretending like they're all in Mayberry. And let it be known that you the server will ALWAYS take the blame for a walkout, no matter what the situation. Three times during my employment, I pointed out to the managers what I expected would be a walkout, and when it happened, I still took crap from them and still had to write up a report about it. They eventually made a rule that if you had more than two walkouts in a certain period of time, you'd be let go. Because obviously all servers steal money from tables or just aren't paying attention to their guests, so much that guests will just get up and leave. It couldn't possibly be that some guests are outright THIEVES and know that CB is very well known as a place to get a five-finger discount on a meal. I also had issues with the PAR system hierarchy, a system in which there are way too many chiefs and not nearly enough indians. I was a "four star" server, and even I hated the way things worked sometimes. People with four stars always acted as if they, too, were management, when they certainly were not. There was a lot of favoritism played, and the person making the floorplans was almost always a four-star server who would put her other four-star friends in the best sections. If you didn't stick up for yourself, you would be in the back of smoking every day you worked there. Going to management did little to help, as they always had more important fish to fry (literally, sometimes) than worrying about where some piddly new/unliked/insignificant server would work her shift. Okay, enough bitching. Like I started out saying, CB had a lot of issues, but all in all I seriously miss working there. Being there as long as I was, it eventually felt like my second family and we all cared about each other. I saw plenty of instances where everyone came together to help a fellow co-worker who had fallen on hard times, be it due to a death in the family, financial issues, health problems, and so forth. Even management could act and talk like real people after a busy Saturday night when everyone started goofing around during sidework after the doors locked. I never had a job like that before working there, and I doubt I will get another one like it. You could say I came of age during my time there, working there from the ages of 21 to 27, getting through school, getting married, etc. I still consider getting a part time job with them. Once you work there, especially if you stay a year or more, you will have a hard time leaving.

From russellville — 02/27/2008

my job is ok i guess. it has good days and bad days