Work at Costco Wholesale — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Costco Wholesale pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Costco Wholesale

From Red Deer, Alberta, Canada — 01/19/2009

I have been working at this costco for 6 months now, being laid off my prior job i was desperate and needed to find work fast, someone asked me if i tried costco, they said they are always hiring. I got the job with relative ease, the pay is nice 12 dollars an hour with a raise after 3 months. I felt very respected when i started, i found the best plan of attack was to do very little talking and do my job, doing just enough chit chatting with the authorities to make em laugh, i work for mostly women so charming them isnt difficult. Costco is a very "if they like you you will stay" company, if i was not well liked from my co workers and authorities I would have been skidded long ago. I hear benifits are alright i havent looked into them. In december i was doing alot of drinking and had a no call no show and a phone in sick, and several tardies, tardies and no call no shows are a good way to get noticed at costco (in a bad way of course) u must avoid this. I dont see myself moving up and i dont really want to, everyone i work with is very kind and we all get along and have social gatherings sometimes upwards of 3 times a week, very tight knit group, if u are not liked at costco it would be a bad job for sure. the enviroment is fine, just watch out for all the disgruntled customers you must face working here, there are alot, thats about it, i would definetely recomend costco to anyone i thought could handle it.

From CA — 12/22/2008

First of all, a little background about myself. I started working for costco during my second year of college. I was hired part time, as most new hires are, and never intended to make a career out of it, which is why i quit before graduation.
PAY! Costco starts at $11 (last time i checked) which was very good for me, being a college student with nothing to spend on but myself. I made more money than my friends who worked at jobs making minimum wage. However, this is probably very low for someone trying to support a family. Most of the new hires were really young people, many students, who lived with their parents.
RESPECT! This definitely has to do with the type of person you are and the type of people you encounter. I'm an easy going guy who works really hard and tryes to get along with anyone I work with, I never did however sucked up to anyone. I treaded my superiors with respect and acted warmly toward them. But there were many managers who were always moody and took out their stress and pressure on their subordinates through no fault of the subordinates. Some managers are jerks and simply do not know how to treat people, however i did have the pleasure of working with some managers who were amazing.
BENEFITS! Good benefits, you can sign up for many things the company offers. Being a young busy with schoolwork college student, I never paid much attention to the package, but I know they do offer one.
JOB SECURITY! Again depends on the people. Just do your job to the best of your ability with a positive attitude and make an effort to get along with your co workers. You don't have to suck up, but make sure you're not on anyone's bad side for no reason. During my two years working there I saw a lot of drama between co workers and between management and subordinates, many really juicy stories, but all of that would definitely hurt you should you decide to move up within the company. You do have a probation period of 3 months or so where the company may fire you if you're not what they are looking for. So do your job and you'll be fine.
WORK LIFE BALANCE! I thought it was ok. I only worked after my classes. Usually 32-35 hours per week. But i was comfortable with the schedule. Since i had school in the morning, i obviously didn't mind having a late shift. 5pm-10pm weekdays..11:30am-8pm weekends. But if you want early shifts it may be hard to get ahold of.
CAREER GROWTH! Many openings arise and youre free to apply for them. If you work hard you will be concidered. BUT Most positions are given in terms of seniority, meaning they are given to those who have been there the longest.
LOCATION! More and more stores open all the time! I'm sure there's one near you.
CO WORKER COMPETENCE! Very diverse. You have to be 18 to apply so the age ranges from that up. Many full time students in college.
Work Environment! Most departments become really good friends. I always got along with my co workers even though some didn't so much. Obviously people socialize with coworkers after work which is what we did. We had dinner nights and hung out on weekends.

From UT — 09/27/2008

Overall very satisfied. No job is going to be perfect, and I have all the regular retail complaints- labor concerns leave us uderstaffed, holidays are a nightmare (at least we get major holidays off/ paid), people in salary positions are taken advantage of, and not even seniority can buy you weekends off.

From BC, Canada — 09/12/2008

Well I work in the pharmacy. Until recently I have loved my job so much and would not change it for the world. But head office made some changes and I'm getting a new manager who is basically the devil so things might change soon. Overall everyone is nice and the pay is AMAZING! They even pay you four dollars extra per hour just for working sundays! It's cool. There's a TV in the staff room and the staff is usually nice.

From Issaquah, WA — 08/28/2008

If you are looking for a great place to work Costco is the place and Issaquah, Washington is the flag ship warehouse. Coach, Teach, Mentor is how the managers operate. You work hard and feel good about it. The members love the warehouse and how they are treated. How many other places do you know that a cashier is paid 45,000 a year plus great benifits.

From wisconsin — 07/21/2008

After looking at the negative comments, I realize how few others have worked for other major big boxes. Costco's benefits are drastically cheaper, starting pay is more than a couple dollars higher for any hourly's and even if you don't want to be in management you have the ability to survive. I agree with the poster who said if you think its bad leave. I promise youll realize you dont know what you got till its gone.

From Burlington, WA — 12/05/2006

In my experience Costco has been a great place to work at. They pay wages at the top of the industry and the average warehouse employee makes 16 an hour. Since Costco primarily promotes from within the company, career potential and advancement is pretty good. If you make it through the 3 month probationary period, your job is very secure. You can't get fired unless you do something really stupid. I like that Costco does the 3-month probationary period because it weeds out those who can't handle it, which definitely makes things better for you. Very team-oriented environment and most of your coworkers are very friendly. Yes, sometimes you may hate your job and sometimes you run into some very rude customers, but the pay makes it worth it during these times. Not only that, but you will run into crap once in a while with any company. Overall, If you're thinking of working for Costco, do it! Look to their very low turnover rate..I think that shows something!

From Issaquah, Washington — 06/09/2006

I worked in a warehouse for nearly 8 years before moving to the Corporate headquarters near Seattle. While I must say that the corporate aspect of the job is hands-down the greatest area I've worked in at the company, the warehouse level has many advantages that other businesses can't even touch. There are so many different departments and areas to work in that staying there for many years has never been out of the question. But since moving to the corporate level, the job has gotten better, and my outlook on helping better the company has increased ten fold. I love my job.

From Atlantic Canada — 03/14/2006

Costco is a great companie to work for. The pay is amazing, respect, benefits are outstanding. Job security is fine. Work and life balance is a bit challenging due to long working hours. There is certainly room for advancment in this Company the employee turnover is next to nil. I truely feel this Company cares and invests in it's employees and in return the employees work hard and give back to this Company. The work environment is good everyone seems to be happy and why wouldn't you be when you are teated with such respect!!!
If you are lucky enough to get a job working for Costco you will never want to leave.
ttfn