Working at Costco Wholesale — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Costco Wholesale pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Costco Wholesale

From California — 10/06/2010

Hello, I have been working at Costco for about a month now. Overall, I would give my store a 4 out of 5.

I have been hired on as front end, and as other people have said before, they BARELY train you, if at all. If you are new to Costco, this is what I suggest you do.

1.ASK LOTS OF QUESTIONS. Seriously, if they are not willing to train you, then you have to come to them. Most employees are understanding as they were new at some point as well. Catch on to the nice ones and stick to them like glue, asking them questions when needed. If your supervisors seems like jerks, oh well, they are there to help you as well so ask them questions. As odd as it sounds, you will be seen as an employee that wants to do better at their job bc they ask.

2. Observe and copy. During orientation, your manager or whomever will give you a "buddy." If you actually find your buddy, observe them and copy them!! If you have no buddy, copy whoever you know has been working there at least 6 months or more. You can definitely tell the difference between incompetent workers and great ones. Just make sure you don't stand there in someones way, Costco likes you to be busy every single minute of your shift.

If at any time you are uncomfortable with your task because of a lack of training or its above your skill level, let your supervisor or manager know IMMEDIATELY so they can have someone help you or move you to a different area.

Of course every store is different, but I would compare it mostly to high school. Not only are the college students immature, but the older employees are as well. And I'm talking 45 and up. Its pretty ridiculous. So either get ready to jump in the gossip/clique pool or stay out of peoples way. If you do...maintain an upbeat attitude and be polite to employees when you do come in contact with them. Don't exclude yourself and turn into a Costco hermit.

Lets see..front end people WILL be sent to do merch (which is basically stocking the items in freezer,foods or deli) and you WILL be sent to do carts as well. Don't argue against it, they don't care. For me, merch has been a bit of a problem. I am female and its difficult for me to move such heavy objects around and they do not train you in merch. ASK ASK ASK. Ask for help if you need to, it is better to ask for help then to run out of time and not get your tasks done. Most likely you will only do merch 2 times a week, unless you really enjoy it.

Costco is also big on professionalism..or so my 30 day review said. A few of the employees here are far from professional, but they have been there so long it doesn't matter. During your 90 days, just focus on member service. It is a huge thing with Costco now because they have gotten dinged so many times on crappy customer service. Do whatever the member needs and offer them help with a smile. (I suggest you really amp up the cheese factor when you know a sup/manager is nearby or watching) IF you are folding clothes, take the time to stop and ask nearby members if they are finding everything okay. It takes only a few seconds and 9 times out of 10 they don't need help. And if they do, help them find the item, if you don't know where it is find another employee that can not only help the member find the item but show you where it is so you don't have to ask for help next time. Killing two birds with one stone!

Overall my experience is okay...managers are just busy busy and don't have time to stand around and talk to newbies like me. Its perfectly fine with me though..the supervisors tend to help a bit more, depending on which one of course. The employees at my store so far are awesome (minus one or two) and I have already made fast friends with them. Just don't joke around and act silly and ignore members during open hours. Managers don't like that. Also, if you are going to complain about work before your 90 days complain to people that DON"T work at Costco or employees that you can trust. Or just keep it to yourself. The shifts do suck bc of seniority...you will hear that word thrown around all the time. So expect late night shifts...generally 5 to 10pm, or 130 to 10pm.

Pay is good for a college student, 11 an hour and a 25 cent raise after your 90 days. Then after 6 months, part time employees are eligible for health benefits.

I know so many of these reviews make working at Costco seem horrible, but it really depends on the management and employees. If you find an employee that is nice, stick to them!! Not EVERYONE in a store is mean, just remember that. Of course if you find it unbearable, quit after 6 months, that way you have some adequate experience and can find a job someplace else.

From Minnesota — 05/25/2010

I was part-time, seasonal employee for Costco in one of their photo labs. I'm not going to lie, it was a DREAM job. As a college student, I got paid at $11/hr. Only jobs like that I could get were warehouse jobs that couldn't fit my schedule. They really helped working out my schedule whenever I had a conflict and never bugged me about coming in late (I had a couple occasions where I had to call in last minute to tell them I was going to be late), so the work/life balance was good. If you are looking for a decent paying job, a job that has GOOD raises and something that you can climb your way up to management, than apply at Costco. Maybe I just worked in a really good store, but everyone there seemed to get along and actually enjoy their job. I worked at Target for 1 1/2 years before that and boy was it nice having a company that actually cared about it's employees. Ever since the orientation with the cheesy videos saying how much the CEO cares about the employees, I felt like they actually did care. I was only part time and seasonal, so I didn't have much job security or benefits.

And after working 3 retail jobs before Costco, it was nice getting time and a half on Sundays where I never had that at my other jobs (which was also a bonus since I almost always worked sundays).

From Issaquah WA — 04/21/2010

The company is great. Some of the members are AWFUL people.

From Queens, NY — 04/04/2010

To all folks who complains: love it or leave it. You should be thankful to have a job with benefits during this time. Do yourself a favor: step off, and give an opportunity for others who really want to work.

From California — 03/20/2010

i have only been here a month and a week. i am in my probationary period so i wont say much because as of now i am not doing a very good job according to my manager. other than that a good company. i will leave a detailed review once my 90 days are up and whether i get fired or not.

From Medford, OR — 01/18/2010

I love my job! I really like the people I work with and work for...all around get company to work for! Definitely is alot of physical labor though...can be hard on the body over time!

From Lake in the Hills, IL — 11/09/2009

This is a great company to work for. I worked here for 5 years and would have loved to stay forever if it was not required to work weekends. The starting pay is excellent not to mention the time and a half on Sundays. It is pretty competitive to get hired but if you are looking for a job in retail this is definitely the place to apply. I will promote Costco for the rest of my life. You do work hard for the money but it keeps you in good physical shape. I would say the only downfall is the requirement to work every weekend despite the time and a half on Sundays. Raises are based on hours not to mention they promote from within the company before outsourcing. I highly recommend this company to anyone is has a good hard-working attitude and enjoys working with people!

From California — 09/29/2009

Working for Costco is what you make of it. Everybody knows that retail sucks, and yes, there will be a fair share of stocking/bagging/boxing/intensive labor involved. The truth is, the starting pay is $11.00/hr, which is far higher than minimum wage and you always have the opportunity for a raise. The cool thing is you work with a lot of people and there is a chain of command. The warehouse I was employed in was in a college town, so there was an opportunity to network and make a lot of friends. There are many departments in Costco and how hard you have to work will depend on the department in which you are hired. For example, I started in the food court, which if you are in the know- you know it is the bottom of the barrel. BUT the co-workers were extremely cool, the manager lasse-fare and the work was mindless and easy. When I moved to front end, I had more responsibility and grunt work to do. Basically, if you are a girl they will throw you into the middle of the store to fold clothes for 8 hours- which you get paid 3 dollars less to do at some shitty retail job. You also have to push carts around some days, rain or shine. BUT pushing carts means being outside, unsupervised and left to your own devices for the better part of the shift = more breaks. Once you are trained as a cashier it is a little bit of a blessing and a curse because you get a 50 cent raise but you must cashier basically every shift for 4-8 hours. The beauty of Costco, the front end, is you get to move around and they keep it so you could do something different every day. The really cool thing about working in such a huge place crowded with people? acting like you are working when really you are checking out what you will buy when your shift ends. Also make note, obv. great benefits but there is NO EMPLOYEE DISCOUNT, you get a free membership which is good because you save 50 bucks. As with any job, 90% of the fun is not what you do but who you work with, hopefully if you get hired you will make some friends, and with 200 + employees, your chances already increase.

From Maritimes — 06/29/2009

First off, the pay is not bad at the start. I mean it's more then most places are when you have worked there for 10-12 years. But after 5-6 years at Costco you are at top rate or close to it and then get a bonus a few times a year. You have to earn your pay there through hard work. Respect is of course earned and it goes both ways too. I have gained respect through my work and getting the job done without whining and crying like a few do all the time.(if you can't do it...get out..you're wasting time and $$)Benefits are great for anyone! You get 50% health after being there for 3 months, 2% cash back yearly on what you buy in the store, a bunch of paid sick days and a few floater days.(and this is for part time not full time) All this would never be found where I used to work. Never!! Job security is there for sure as we are doing just fine in the retail business, not like some. Work/life balance is off and on at times but you have to understand we are in a recession and the company doesn't owe anyone any favors because of it. If we work hard and stop bitching so much, the benefits will be there on the other side. Career potential/growth is always there at Costco. It may take you a few months or a few years to get to where you may want to be, but it would be worth your time and effort. Some just are happy at part time making $30,000-40,000 a year and some at full making $60,000+. It depends on what you want to offer for your time. A few full timers, yes due think they are owed that $$ at minimum hrs put in, but they will be disguarded before long. Location is perfect!! Co-worker competence is sometimes good but most times bad. A few for sure think they don't need to work hard at all and the rest of us have to bust ass to get their work done. I say in due time they will be filtered out the door and they will. If you think if you are owed something after working for Costco for 2 weeks, you are highly mistaken. For those type out there... you need not apply at Costco. Stay on welfare! Work environment is fine until the lazy ones show up for work or call in sick. Ditto on co-workers competence. I'm pretty much happy though at Costco because I have been on the other side and I don't want to ever go there again that's for sure. The benefits for sure are the key to keeping employees happy and the pay is a bonus. I know money isn't everything but having a great free health plan is these days.

If you like to learn and grow in your knowledge of retail, work hard and don't bitch about every little thing that comes your way, than maybe Costco could be the place for you as well. It is for me!

From Medford, Oregon — 02/14/2009

I am soooo glad that Costco found me. For most of my life I was truck driver and enjoyed it for the most part, but always my friends told me I should work around people and sell something. I didn't really want to sell for the money I just wanted to be in a situation where I could treat the customer right and not have to lie to them. It has now been over 15 years at Costco and I have had a minimum number of bad days at work. This outfit has allowed me to work in nearly every department and I have to say in all honesty that "the worst job in Costco is still the best job in town". I took a shot at management a number of years ago and never made it. I suppose I regret not working harder toward a management job, but in the long run I don't think I'll mind retiring as a regular old $20 per hour employee. ESPECIALLY IN THIS ECONOMY I am tickled to death to work for a company who may well be the last retailer standing. I could kiss Jim Senegal ( founder and CEO of Costco Wholesale) on the lips for not retiring when he should have and instead keeping his vision alive in this great company. He is a model for all of us who believe that hard work and perserverance can pay off.