Working at Commerce Bank/TD Bank — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Commerce Bank/TD Bank pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Commerce Bank/TD Bank

From Kansas City — 07/17/2009

I been with commerce bank for almost two years.
Pros.
Good salary
great place to work
great people somewhat
got a great manager
a good chance to move whenever they have opening.
average normal benefits
Job security
Great HR people
one of the TOP Banks in America.

Cons
you have to pay for closed roof garage
school tuition is low $1500 for udegraduate and $3000 for graduate.
moving to a different department some what hard. you have to apply some many times and better if you know someone.

From Stratford, NJ — 12/15/2008

When I was first hired as a part time teller at Commerce, I absolutely loved my job. I knew that Commerce paid less then most banks but because of the work environment, I didn't mind. The potential to excel in the company was excellent, as I had seen several tellers, including myself, grow from regular tellers to supervisors. After a year of working here, the disrespect came into play. Managers began treating me like nothing and I took the blame for a majority of incidents that I had nothing to do with. When I requested off for a necessary obligation almost 4 months ahead of time, managers magically 'lost' the request off sheet or claimed to never have seen it despite discussing it with me weeks prior. As a part time teller, I was to have no more then 40 hours per pay period...20 hours a week. The week I ended up quitting, I pulled 3 shifts and accumulated over 30 hours. I was worked like a dog and I finally cracked.
While I loved every single one of my fellow employees, the managers were on a definite power trip. They took their best employees for granted and allowed the below average employees to get away with murder. The job was always secure, especially with the TD merge, however I do not see why someone would want to be treated this way by their employees.

From NJ — 10/10/2008

Commerce Bank was a good part-time job to have during college. I decided to break down this review by category so that people who are considering Commerce can see what America's Most Convenient Bank is really like.

Pay- It was okay when I worked there because I had no idea how much other tellers made. Apparently, Commerce pays somewhat less than other banks. Most tellers started between 9.50 and 10.50 an hour in 2006-2007. I'm not sure if they pay more now.

Respect- It depends on your location. The bigwigs really don't care about the "little guy", but the managers and head tellers that I worked with were all respectful and helpful. There is a large emphasis on helping the customers and putting them first, so corporate probably values them above the tellers and CSRs.

Benefits- None if you're part time, so I left a 0.

Job Security- Average. Some jobs had a high turnover rate, but if you were decent at your job, you could work there for a long time. They tolerated incompetence to a certain degree, but they fired truly bad tellers.

Work/Life Balance- If you work weekends, it's not so good. As a college student, the schedule was ideal because I could work at night and on the weekends and still work 30 hours a week. For full timers, the schedule isn't as good because they sometimes have to work holidays (Fourth of July), weekends, or nights until 8 pm. The head tellers in particular had to stay for almost 10 hours on some days if a teller committed an error, etc.

Career Potential- Okay. If you're full time, they have something called a CASH program to help you advance. They usually promote from within and favor seniority. However, some employees that I knew were stuck in a teller or CSR role just because Commerce didn't want to pay them more or put them through expensive training if they didn't have to.

Location- Everywhere

Coworker competence- Depends on the branch. Some of Commerce's employees are lazy college kids, but some truly care about what they do. If you put some effort into it, you will become competent.

Work Environment- Friendly and welcoming. My branch was very supportive and kind. They were like a second family. However, I knew someone who worked in a branch of bitter, vindictive people, so it can go either way.

From mt. laurel , nj — 03/18/2006

commerce is great if you don't mind getting underpaid to deal with obnoxious people all day. The nj call center takes calls from all over. Once ny gets their own call center maybe the clientele I have to assist all day won't be as obnoxious. They promote from within and alot of the time, I wonder how some of these clowns get promoted. The bank gets a lot of good press because it claims to really care about its customers. Which we do to an extent...just like any other bank except for we have a fuzzy mascot and bright neon lights. Commerce Bank is making revenue from bogus fees from poor suckers just like any other bank.