Working at Circuit City — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Circuit City pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Circuit City

From Cincinnati — 04/07/2010

Great Company

From Houston, TX — 12/09/2009

I worked for Circuit City and The City (a new concept store for the company as a last-ditch effort to reform). I started out as an Operations Manager and was eventually promoted to Store Director. I worked in 6 different locations over a 3+ year span and in 3 different regions, so I feel I have a pretty good grasp on what it was like to work for the company.

Like every company, there were the good and the bad. The company overall was poorly managed, but at a local level, your environment was very much dependent on the managers in the building. It could also be very much affected by the District Manager for that store.

The pay was above average at the Store Director level; however, everything below that (including the other salary management positions) were irratic at best. The company kept changing it's mind on who could get paid what that you could very well have a GREAT and tenured employee working in a position that is getting paid less than a new hire.

There was definitely a "Boy's Club" mentality in some markets, which was created and driven by the District Manager. This, of course, created some inequalities in the way you were treated on a personal and professional level. Not all markets were that way though. I worked in some very tough stores and very tough markets where manager turnover was high and I still thrived, evenually being promoted.

The nature of the business and pay dictated a lack in work-life balance. It was non-existent. I worked 60+ hours a week, got phone calls at home (not only from employees but other managers). It was a job that was very knowledge and systems-driven. The systems and reports were entirely too complex and made running the business more difficult than it needed to be.

Overall, it was a very challenging job that I thoroughly enjoyed. I learned a lot, but the company certainly wasn't without its faults.

From Charlotte, NC — 09/09/2009

Great company.... Terrible the goverment would not help Circuit City.

From Douglasville, Ga — 08/01/2009

Pay: I started out at 8.50 for customer service. This was my first real job, and that was an awesome wage to start at, at the time. You are supposed to get reviews every 6 months. I didn't get mine till I transfered stores.

Respect: I got along with my managers there. I had complications with one or two of them, but that will happen no matter where you work. In the end we grew on eachother. At both stores I worked at, I dealt with some disrespectful customers because if you work behind a cash register you are apparently a lowlife. Then again it was customer service, so I was bound to deal with those kinds of people eventually.

I had one particularly horrible customer at the store I transfered to who said "women shouldn't be working, blah blah blah, lots of nasty things. He said I was racist because I wouldn't return his item that had best buy stickers all over it. In the end my store manager supported me and asked the man to leave the store. Come to find out that this particular man allready had a legal restraining order, and wasnt supposed to be anywhere near the store. funny huh?

Benefits: They had some pretty decent benefits. Tuition reimbursement. I believe that they also offered some benefits to part-time employees as well as the usual for full-time.

Job Security: hah! circuit city stores don't even exist anymore. Most of us saw it coming for a long time though.

Work/Life Balance: I never had any serious problems. I think it just depends who your manager is really.

Career Potential/Growth: I enjoyed working for circuit city, and would've stayed with the company longer if I could have. I had a few chances to get promoted to higher paying departments, but I ended up having to transfer before that could happen.

Location: it was right down the street from where i lived, and it was near a mall, so we had alot of business.

Co-worker Competence: I loved my co workers. They were great people and I am still friends with a good bit of them

Work Environment: I had a good work environment, but that could be different for other locations.

From Ohio — 12/28/2008

The pay is pretty good for retail. The pay is pretty bad for day to day existence, however. I have given up any hope of a raise, but the base hourly wage is decent.

I rated the respect as a 3 because I have never been mistreated or felt used by management. Occasionally we will have corporate managers come into the store and start bossing everyone around though, which is bad because they generally have no clue what they are talking about anyway. Respect from customers varies, but by and large they are pretty reasonable considering any dummy can walk in off the street and talk to you.

I rated the benefits as neutral because I do not use them or pay for them. I suspect they suck, since every retailer has crappy benefits, but I cannot rate them.

Job security was tough to rate. At the store level, I feel like I would really have to screw up royally to get fired. As long as you show up on time and do your job, you will be fine. However, given the fact that the company is currently in Chapter 11 reorganization, I do not know if I will have a job this time next week because the entire company could go belly up at any moment. Corporate management is awful, and that trickles down into my sense of whether I will have this job in a month.

Work/life balance is great. They will accommodate you if you are going to school, if you have a spouse that works, if you have children, a second job, etc. All they ask for is that you give them a fairly solid availability sheet and stick to it.

Career growth/potential is not good, but again, this has more to do with the bankruptcy than anything else. I would not consider making Circuit City a career given what I have been told by managers as far as salary, responsibilities, benefits, etc.

Our location is terrible. Circuit City has this thing where they try to locate each store as close as humanly possible to a Best Buy. It is their attempt to not only figuratively but literally crawl inside Best Buy's ass and become them. It is so stupid. The stores being so close together makes it easy for people to price shop items and beg for price matches. If the stores were further away, they could get around that with many people.

My co-workers are surprisingly knowledgeable and reliable.

The work environment at my store is very good. There is no real backstabbing, laziness, or anything like that. No jealousy over sales figures. Just honest competition for better numbers. It would be nice to get some sort of bonus or commission for exceptional sales, but Circuit City's corporate overlords would never go back to that system.

Overall, Circuit City is a good place to work IMO. It is a well known company and anyone can do the job. It is not a very physically demanding job, although you are on your feet for a long time. You get to meet interesting people and try to sell them crap.

From Redding, CA — 12/23/2008

Circuit City was an excellent place to work in Redding. The management is encouraging and positive and always looking to challenge the associates. I see other responders complain about pay but you must understand that this is a retail sales job not medicine or legal representation work. There is plenty of room for growth for individuals who are motivated and willing to actually work. The best part of this job is that you get paid to play with and show customers some of the coolest toys on the planet!

From Oregon — 03/16/2008

I had a positive experience. Pay is 9.50 for me. That's good for HS/College students. I felt respected, I didn't really care about benefits. I think those are for FT'ers though. Job security is not really anything to worry about unless you absolutely CANNOT sell, even if you can't good customer service is good enough. And for seasonals, those guys usually get the ax unless your good lol. I shoulda been promoted, parta the reason why I left. Being one of the best salesmen there I shoulda at least got more pay. Sometimes Co-workers are kinda stupid and a pleasent work enviorn.