Working at Cintas — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Cintas pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Cintas

From St. Louis, MO — 12/21/2008

Started working for Cintas as an outside salesperson after two years of inside sales with another company. Some comments:
1-Pay) Pay is good. I won't lie. I am making a decent base salary and fair commissions after less than one year. I expect to make a lot more soon. Not too shabby. This year will probably be 60-ish and next year 80-ish.

2-Respect) No real complaints here. My sales manager was kind of a jerk to me when I first started, I guess testing to see if I was in it to win it, but after he saw how hard I was working, things got a lot better. I feel respected and valued.

3-Benefits) No complaints here.

4-Job Security) Iffy. People are getting laid off. I don't know. It could happen to me.

5-Work/Life Balance) Very subjective. If you get lucky and get a geographically desirable territory with a high prospect count, you may get to have a social life. If you're like me, forget it. Expect 12 hours days. When they told me during the the interview that I would be working 12 hour days... they were NOT kidding. Sales has flexibility of course, due to the fact that no one is breathing down your neck during the day, but I have worked more hours in this job than in any other I've had in my life.

6- Career/Potential Growth) Opportunities are there, but they are rare, and you will really have to bust your butt to get there.

7- Location) Really depends. You could get lucky and live inside your sales territory and drive only a few hours a week, or you could wind up commuting 3 or 4 hours each day on top of your time on the job.

8- Co-worker Competence) Watch out. People are conniving. They are nice to your face and you can have fun with them, but they are tricky and if they can steal a sale that should be yours, they will do it.

9- Work Environment) Decent. Much better if you are selling a lot!

From Midwest — 11/11/2008

Slick your hair back and put on a blue suit with a white shirt..get ready for a trip back in time to the life of a 1950's salesman. Sure, they'll pay a decent salary and a nice car package, but if you start earning too much in commission, they'll switch up the pay plan. And it's white mans domain. Don't expect to be promoted if your a woman, or of any ethnicity (even if you make President's Club). Sure, they'll make up some bull**** position for you, but it's not management. Diversity? They've never heard of it. Hey, let's have another "Pump it up" contest and put posters of half nude bodybuilder men (with photoshopped heads of upper mngmt) all over the locations to promote it! That was really appropriate and totally not chauvinistic! And I think every manager should use sport analogies to explain things to all sales reps, especially the women because it's so motivational, maybe you could pat my butt when I'm heading out to the field too! Oh, and isn't making "Presidents Club" a requirement to be promoted into Management? I guess that doesn't apply in some markets. Managers can be nice guys, too bad they're just puppets and have no actual management authority. The other reps are mostly cool, it's like we're all in this sinking ship together. Sales and Service really need to communicate better.
By the way, Go Obama!

From Midwest — 11/10/2008

Cintas is great for the fresh out of college because young sales reps have the opporitunity for good money with little experience. However, it is blatantly obvious that this company is a "boys club" atmosphere. Sales Managers are all white men and there is no indication that change is in the future. Sales Managers are not really in charge of anything beyond the micro management of their teams. There are a handful of managers who do not even have the authority to change the time of a rep's weekly phone block. Managers vomit Cintas phrases like "this appointment should be a slam dunk" and "go after that low hanging fruit". These are generally accompanied by the "claw," a hand gesture, used by managers to intimidate and feel more authoritative.

From Mt Pleasant, PA — 10/30/2008

I've been working at Cintas for a while. I'm sick and tired of a select few bashing the company and our management. We are pretty well paid. Our benefits are good. Some of us only work 4 days a week. Some people are complaining about the pay plan. Want more money? Try handing out a catalog! People here are bashing our GM. He's a good guy you can go to. You can talk business, family or just football. And our Service Managers. They are busy and try hard. You can go to them for a lot of our problems. If you hate this place so bad, go to monster.com instead of jobvent.com.

From 06 mt pleasant pa — 10/29/2008

i have been at location 6 since they have open doors at mt plesant.i find it upsetting the things that people are writing and saying about upper management..every time i have an issue that needs to taken care of i go to our general manager or DWRr service manager..and they do anything they can to help solve the situation..And to write these things about these people are cowardly acts..Our management at location 6 has and open door policy so if you have an issue go to them instead of posting these things on the internet..These gentlemen have very stressful jobs,;people dont realize what they do in one of work...I thing that location 6 is the best in the country and would not want to work at another location.For the very few of you who thing they have it so bad there do us all a favor and leave..becuase you are making our location look very bad when it is not.People are losing their jobs every single day and you should be thankful that we have these jobs at Cintas.Please stop putting our managers through hell by writing these harsh things about them..

From evansville,in — 07/10/2008

after 17yrs with Cintas, i have seen the good and the bad. i've seen incompetent GM's and i have had the pleasure of working for the two best in the country. Cintas is like every other large company, sometimes the idiots slip through the cracks. but overall you can't beat the job ;great hours, a/c in your truck, and a great group {mostly}to work with." But thats the way we roll" at our location!

From Ohio — 06/24/2008

Great company and a work culture to match. Benefits are excellent. You can move up through the organization if you have a good work ethic and are smart. Every company has it critics -- some that have expressed their dissatisfaction on this website. Company stock price has slid recently but plenty of upside in the future. Good job security and pay. I appreciate what a fine company Dick Farmer has developed -- what an amazing person.

From Gilroy, CA — 06/17/2008

The pay for a Uniform Sales Representative is extremely excellent when actually performing. The respect you get from your sales manager and directors is great when you are actually performing. The benefits are great, no problem with that. Job Security for those that perform is guaranteed, work/life balance is not a problem. Mondays and Wednesdays we're in the office by 7 AM, no big deal. Career potential is unlimited, Cintas just announced they are going global so that shows you how big they want to get and how many new positions will be available. Our location is great, super nice people. My co-workers are awesome, everybody is smart. Typically Cintas hires intelligent, goal oriented people. Work environment is sort of spartan but it doesn't really matter. Do I wish there was a decent coffee maker? Yes.

In conclusion, if you like the idea of wearing a suit Monday through Friday, talking to businesses about products that they need anyways, and getting paid at least $5,000 a month, up to $10,000 a month as a college grad, then Cintas is for you.

From Michigan — 03/22/2008

I have worked at other large fortune 500 employers and Cintas is the only true pay for performance company I have worked at. It is not perfect, but am confident this is one of the best places you can find a job at. If you are hungry, and get results then this is the place to work. If you just want to go through the motions and watch the clock all day, then this probably isn't the place for you. Unlike many large companies, accountability is big. Yes that is right, people are held accountable for results. What is wrong with that? Is this a new concept? I think many of the posters on this forum who have negative comments were either poor performers or had a poor work ethic. I have never seen people just picked on for no good reason at Cintas.

People are also treated with respect and rewarded very well for performance. Morale among employees is usually very high and a great place to work for family oriented people. Management trainees are also valued very highly

From Michigan — 03/21/2008

Cintas has always been a great place to build a career for a person that is willing to work hard. Non-performers are quickly eliminated and often very bitter because they do not want to blame themselves for their own incompetence.
I cannot find another company that promotes top performers to management like Cintas even somtimes to it's own detriment. They would rather reward a performer than look to the outside.
Cintas management especially in sales is often more than fair and puts in the time to train and develop anyone willing to give back the same type of effort.
I have always realized that Cintas is not for everyone, but if I were looking at companies, it would be tops on my list.