Working at Ceridian — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Ceridian pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Ceridian

From manchester — 05/17/2010

excellent work experience here in UK, was surprised at other comments on site. Recession pressures are significant in Europe, but this company seems to have solid plans to emerge, and we have confidence that UK will progress positively. Here we have a jammed-full office, great people, good managers. would always like to get paid more, but understand there's a tough economy out there...

From Atlanta, GA — 04/17/2010

Pay -- Compensation isn't bad, but a bonus system with better structure is needed. No annual increases for the past couple of years and given the state of the economy this is to be expected. At least I haven't been ask to reduce my salary in order to continue being employed.

Respect -- Acceptable. Typically when I say something it is heard and of course not always acted upon, but this shouldn't be expected by anyone unless you're the CEO.

Benefits -- PTO is extremely good - you just find it difficult to take all they give you. Health benefits have suffered some the past few years with the increased cost being passed on the employees more each year. Still overall they have very good benefits.

Job Security -- Personally feel secure in my role. If you are a strong performer and are assigned to the correct physical location (ie not virtual) you generally don't have a problem remaining employed. Even with the staffing cuts the last few years there are still poor performers in the office while superior performers are let go simply due to being in a "virtual" status.

Work/Life Balance -- Challenging at certain times of the year and it really is up to the individual to draw the line on having a life outside the company. For the company the customer always comes first so finding the balance that works for you is key to success.

Career Potential/Growth -- There is always opportunity to learn something new. Simply too many roles and systems are available for someone to stagnate unless it is by choice. Not as much upward mobility as I've seen in other companies, but there have been plenty of my peers selected for management positions so the opportunity is there if you want it.

Location -- Great location if you live on the north side of Atlanta and can completely avoid 285 and/or 400.

Co-worker Competence -- As indicated in my comments for Job Security this is a challenged area for the company. Since the GE management team came on board we've struggled with letting extremely good resources go while retaining far less capable staff members simply due to their physical location. GE mindset completely eliminates the potential for virtual employees and you are left with whatever can be hired from the local pool. While Atlanta is a large metro area with pockets of excellent technical resources we seem to struggle in attracting these resources as we continue to hire weak performers. My workload is heavier than necessary due to having to clean up someone's mess far too often.

Work Environment -- Not terrible, but also not great. It takes a while to learn the ropes and to know who to contact when you need something done and done correctly. The environment would be much better if my co-workers were inspired to perform better in their roles.

No work place or company is perfect and Ceridian has challenges, but overall I'd rather work here versus anywhere else -- at least for now.

From Atlanta — 06/02/2009

Pay is very good for the current market. If you did good work you got a bonus last year. Most companies didn't do that. Ditto to a lot of the previous Atlanta review.
Never see a manager because they are always in meetings or on the phone. Business Units tend to mandate projects with no funding but apply max pressure to get them done. Worker bee's who know the most about the applications, networks, etc. tend to be left in the dark and never consulted about anything. Many projects fail because of this. Weekend work not bad this year, so far.
Good co-workers, everyone helps out.

From Minneapolis, MN — 02/03/2009

Pay: I think Ceridian pays well compared to comparable size businesses (comparable in earnings and employees). There is a salary freeze for 2009, but that's okay with me if it saves some of my colleague's jobs.

Respect: I feel well respected and I believe the mgmt. team is receptive to my recommendations to resolve business issues. I haven't been around too long, but it seems to me some of the tenured employees are used to a paternalistic leadership style. I am guessing that a number of employees feel threatened because of the accountability now being placed on their shoulders and don't like it when they are called out for poor or mediocre performance.

Benefits: I think the medical, dental, and vision coverage is marginal. Copays and premiums are higher than my last employer. However, with that said, we get 4 weeks of Paid Days Off, standard holidays, and 3 floating holidays. Being someone that rarely takes sick days, I find the PDO benefit very advantageous.

Job Security: So far Ceridian is doing better than most companies I know of. However, as the economy continues to deteriorate I expect Ceridian will have to take cost cutting measures to sustain profitability. I do have faith that the leadership team is monitoring the financial health of the business and will make the most effective decisions to limit the number of job losses. But, in this economic cycle layoffs are inevitable.

Work/life Balance: I think Ceridian affords its employees the opportunity to make decisions about how much they want to work. I have been able to maintain a healthy balance for me and my family. People have to understand there are tradeoffs in life. If to you work/life balance means that you can work 40 hours a week and still advance up the corporate ladder on the fast track, then Ceridian probably doesn't meet your expectation of work/life balance. If your perspective is that you can keep a flexible schedule, slide out when you need to, put in the hours when you need to, then I think Ceridian provides a healthy work/life balance. Just don't have unrealistic expectations. Very few people get the luxury of time and money, it's usually one or the other...

Career Potential/Growth: If you perform, execute, and deliver on your commitments I think the sky is the limit. The current executive team definitely believes in meritocracy, which I think is threatening to some tenured Ceridian employees. The current leadership team is heavily focused on business and process metrics. I've found that various areas of the business were not held accountable for the performance of their teams in the past. That is not the case today. It's this simple, If I perform opportunities are there. If I don't perform I should look for another job. To me the question is do I have the tools, training, support and leadership to be successful. I believe I do and will continue to have opportunities for career growth.

Location: Not an issue for me and quite frankly not that big of a concern. We are located in a mid-western city. In my opinion it's pretty easy to get around any part of the city during any time of day. Compared to the east coast, Chicago, or LA, travel to and from work is a non event.

Co-Worker Competence: This one's hard. I find a lot of people spending too much time telling everyone why something won't work as opposed to figuring out how to get "it" to work. As I mentioned earlier, I think there was a culture of paternalistic leadership in the business. This caused people to wait for their mgrs to act, to approve, to make decisions and alleviated accountability through multiple levels of the organization. Most of the tenured employees are exceptional at performing tasks, but lack problem solving and analytical skill sets. I find it hard to have the same kind of intellectual conversations I was used to having with colleagues at my previous employer. But, people should realize there are a number of exceptional employees at Ceridian. Ceridian didn't get to the kind of numbers it produces out of sheer luck. The culture is changing and the bar is rising. In my opinion, like it or not, the influx of ex-GE people is creating a performance based, metrics driven culture that produces business results. Yes, that means you have to be willing to do what it takes to be successful.

Work Environment: I really like my team, we have fun and get work done. For the most part, I find the environment to be relaxed, but productive. Ceridian has a cube environment, but the cubes are really nice, as is the office and office fixtures/furniture. Only complaint is that it is always freezing in the building. Look, I know I am getting old and might be more sensitive to temperature, but common, I saw people sitting at their desks with coats on the other day.

From Atlanta, GA — 12/29/2008

Great benefits, great boss, and great co-workers. Flexible work arrangements as well. Outsourcing is happening, but only in groups where it makes sense. I can't imagine finding a better place to work.

From Eagan, MN — 01/29/2008

While I worked at Ceridian, I complained like most people do, I suppose. In hindsight, I really cherish the years I spent there in the EAP program. The benefits are really great. There's more time off than I've found with any other employer. Schedules can be flexible for some employees. The dress code is casual, which is really nice. They offer tuition reimbursement, professional development, and all kinds of great perks. They do lots of fun things too like potlucks, charity auctions, parties, contests, costume days, newsletters, etc. I'd say my coworkers in general were very competent, although many of the managers were sadly lacking in skills and competence. Pay was always lagging behind the market rate for all job functions. Job security was not great because there were layoffs fairly regularly. They often laid off the best employees and kept the bad ones too. There wasn't much chance for promotions and career growth except maybe if you wanted to switch departments or take a job over at headquarters. Managers are usually hired from outside and rarely promoted from within, which is a real shame. The computer databases and programs used really need to be updated and improved too. If Ceridian would just become competitive in pay, spend some money on modern computer database software, and promote from within more, it would be a really great place to work. It's still pretty good though. I made many friends there, learned a lot, and had a lot of fun. They were recently bought out by another company, and there may or may not be major changes coming in 2008.