Working at Calltech Communications — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Calltech Communications pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Calltech Communications

From Columbus, Oh — 07/18/2007

It's an ok place to work not the greatest. They need to better accomodate those with a disability. As far as security goes your are not sure if you'll even have a job the next day the way things go in that place. I got pointed for going over my shift one day. Apparently ops claims they entered the adjustment wrong as an early departure but I think they are just screwing with me. I like the pay but prefer hier

From Columbus, OH; Westbe — 06/14/2007

It's ironic that I quit my job at the call center not because of the customers or the actual job at hand, but because of the management practices. For the center's new pet Premium Technical Support project with VZO, they only pay a sullen $11.75/hr for new hires or transfers. You must have multiple certifications to get any pay raises. Work experience, related degrees and one or two certifications don't count apparently. This is hardly adequate pay for someone actually qualified to do the job.

Respect is variable. Immediate supervisors and coworkers notice your abilities and will make you feel good about yourself, but the upper level management's pay and scheduling practices (I'm a number, not a valued employee) make you feel like a generic carbon meat sack.

Benefits, I never applied for any of the health care plans. I hear it's expensive, but I wouldn't know. They do have an okay fitness center at the Westbelt location though.

Job security, unless you actively work to get fired by telling off a customer or not showing up to work several days in a row, you won't be fired. They need the bodies too much, especially if you know what you're doing.

Work/Life balance, what a joke. Granted, when you place 24/7 availablity on the application, you're prone to abuse I guess, but I never expected this caliber of mistreatment. Come in at 7 AM. Get there. Oops, actually, come back at 4 PM, stay till 1AM. This happened twice.

Scheduling... maybe I was just unlucky but I never received my schedule after training in a timely manner. After submitting two requests for a schedule to my direct supervisor that was supposedly forwarded to scheduling (I believe it was), I still received no schedule for over a week. It was only when Verizon audited the call center and found that they had certified someone for their new pet project but never gave me any hours that I finally got a schedule. To be more accurate, they asked why I never showed up.

Oh, and apparently they can call you after bankers hours at night on an unlisted number and change your schedule on a whim's notice. But when you call back to ask when it's effective, they can't provide that information.

Career Potential and growth: The company prefers to hire internally. Get your stuff done correctly and make a good impression, you'll be promoted. From what I hear there's eventually a glass ceiling, but it will take several steps to reach it. Really, the ability to place a call center on a resume is worth more than anything here, it shows you have communication and people skills. Rated a 0 because I didn't last long enough to be promoted myself.

Location: Located close to west I-270 and I-70, it's a short drive. Just be sure to get an hour lunch break if don't plan on packing lunch. Parking sucks for the evening shifts, get there at least 20 minutes early to find a spot and working computer. Also, be careful who you park next to... some people will scrape your paint with side view mirrors and not leave a not. On-site catering for AM shifts.

Co-worker competence: For Tier II VZO (frontline) support, it's hit or miss. Most are filtered out in training, but HR will hire anyone. For PTS, a lot of the people are experienced, but some were simply thrown into the position with no previous experience left to nothing but peers and Google. Everyone's willing to help e/o though, so that's a plus.

Work environment: As I said earlier, the parking sucks. Bring a sweatshirt every day, it can get cold with the AC blasting. The computers are underpowered, especially when the random screen-recording is taking place, and some have issues like shoddy mice. Usually it's a simple matter of finding an open desk and headset, which can be difficult for PM shifts, though it's been getting better. The keyboards and chairs are lousy though, so try to follow proper ergonomics if you wish to survive long.

If Teleperformance / Calltech reads this, it's probably obvious who I am. My opinions and experiences stand nonetheless. Verizon's training materials for newbies (and vets) is better than I expected, the tools are okay, and the customers are probably the least stressful aspect of the job. If Teleperformance fixed themselves, they might fix the turnover rate while they're at it.

I lasted two months before being escorted out for a same-day resignation. (It was the least I could do to return the respect I was given.)

From Fishers, indiana — 04/11/2007

I love this place I can play wow with 2 of the supervisors they let me do anything I want for ingame gold (that I buy on ebay) I could not think of a better place to work

From Albany,GA — 01/27/2007

For those who said that Glenna left because of issues involving her means of managing the center, you all are complete idiots. Glenna was promoted you fools. Turnover rate is so high because agents fire themselves. How do you expect to come in to an air condition facility, make 9 plus coming in the door, and just talk on the phone and not have rules. People do stupid stuff and get caught and wonder why. If you get more than 4 points and they are not medically related, you deserved every point. Surfing, talking on the cell phone, leaving the floor while on the phone with a customer are some of the foolish things agents do. I admit, it was pretty bad with management back in the day but things have changed. This is probably one of the best jobs in Albany for young people with no experience in anything else. Trainers can teach you how to do your job. All you really need to do is know how to talk to someone. If you come in and do your job, you won't have any problems. If you like running ya mouth and gossip, your days are pretty much numbered.

From Albany GA — 10/25/2006

1. Pay--The pay is not bad for Albany, GA. There is nowhere else that will pay what I am being paid to sit on my you know what and talk on the phone. 2. Respect--This must be a joke. I can't tell that any of the supervisors or managers respect me or any other of the employees. 3. Benefits--Well, we have insurance. And we have holiday pay. But if you are scheduled for the day, you will most likely be sent home. They don't want to pay time and a half for you to sit with no calls coming in. 4. Job Security--If you have EAF points you are liable to be walked out the door as soon as you log in. No one can make any plans, because you are never sure you are going to have a job next month or not. Even those who have low points are subject to being fired if the right person does not like them. 5. Work/Life Balance--Not too much problem here. But then I don't have a life. 6. Career Potential/Growth--For a student, this is not a bad jumping off place. 7. Location--Not bad if you live within the city limits. 8. Co-worker competence--This can be a problem. All the better workers have moved on to a better work environment. That leaves plenty of newbies on the call floor. 9.Work Environment--Computers don't work. Supervisors don't know anymore than the employees about the tech side of the job. The break room is nasty, the bathrooms really make you wonder about the class of people that are employed there.

From Fishers — 06/24/2006

This job is not nearly as bad as previous reviews indicate. It seems as though most are simply bitter that they can not get a better job, and are frustrated at making 9$ an hour.

Calltech hires people with little to no experiance, and little skill as well. It is a good place to start, as you cant expect 15$ an hour for being ignorant and unskilled.

Pay is slightly below average for this type of work, but not extremely low. Get some experiance and make a buck or two more an hour elsewhere, for the most part.

If you do your job well, and are not a constant source of problems and irritation, you will be respected. If your idea of being a good employee means missing 15 or 20 shifts a year, and being late another 15 or 20, with subpar skills.. no you wont get respect.

Benefits are poor, from what Ive been told; very expensive.

Job security is not the best, though thats the call center market.

Work / Life balance is fine. You come in when scheduled, and thats it mostly. You generally have an option to work overtime if you need some extra money.

Career potential is a mixed bag. There are plenty of opportunities for promotion, and as previously stated this is a good place to start gaining experiance. After a certain point, there isnt much room for growth. It is however extremely easy to be promoted when you are a Tier 2.

Co-worker competence is as can be expected, with a base pay of 9$ an hour and very little in the way of requirements.

The work environment is sadly what the employees make it. It isnt the best, but that is not entirely the fault of the company.

From Columbus, OH — 06/22/2006

Pay: It's a lot better than what I earned working part-time for kroger's.
For the calls that you have to deal with on a daily basis though, I would expect maybe 2-3 dollars more per hour.

Respect: You're pretty much just a number being divided into smaller groups. The company gets paid for every minute that our agents spend on the phones, so there's no way to take a short break between a difficult call.

Benefits: I've been with the company for one month, all I get is 4 hours of sick time. Whoopee.

Job Security: I've done everything from hanging up on customers, to playing operator for tier 2. my supervisor has never said anything, and i've gotten only one kick-back from tier 2. For now, they pretty much rely solely on people working overtime.

Work/Life Balance: What is this 'life' you speak of? Not that Calltech is entirely to blame, but I sleep during the day, and work during the peak hours of the day and evening.

Career Potential/Growth: Hopefully, I'll be able to snag a floor control or welcome station position, one where I'm not sitting in a tiny box teaching people the basics of turning a computer on.

Co-worker Competence: Nothing to really complain about here. If you screw up on a call, oh well, the customers can just call back later and yell at the next poor sap.

Work Environment: Chsi at best. A 5-year old could make the place a little more interesting than the random snakes hanging from the ceiling and the oversized teddy bears taking up half the aisle.

Overall: Krogers was worse than this place. At kroger's if a customer gets angry, you're going to hear from your supervisor and get this long, boring speech about how krogers strives to provide excellent customer service, but at Calltech, if a customer yells at you, there's a nice little button that says 'release'. even a nooblet out of training knows what it does. The best part, there's no way to trace those releases.

From Columbus, Ohio — 06/04/2006

you know, I have to say to you people in Fishers, I take personal offense to what you said about us all being idiots and a**kissers. I used to work in the Columbus location and they were some of the nicest people I worked with. The RULES themselves needed much improvement, I will give you that, but please don't say that we are all bad, because unless you have been there and worked with us, you really don't know. We didn't say those things about you, so please give us some respect, ok?

From Salt Lake City, UT — 05/11/2006

In my experience working for CallTech/Teleperformance, I have seen that if you come to work , and prove yourself you will be promoted. The people i have seen terminated have always been deserving of it, and they need to be realistic about that.

From Columbus, Ohio — 03/08/2006

that can happen at any workplace, and it could be considered sexual harrassment, but the woman has to confront the male employee first and HR has to ignore the complaint before it can escalate into something bigger

just like with any job, it's what you make of it. I am a former employee of CallTech and for the most part they were good to me, I can't really complain, but I do feel that they need to improve on the pay rates for the employees and some of their other policies

they can't really implement a policy about co-workers dating, because what you do outside of work on your own time is your business, as long as it doesn't interfere with your job performance

although there were a few things I thought needed improvement, I know that at least in my location, near the time I was ready to leave there, the upper management was working towards trying to improve the work environment and make things better for their employees, but as with anything, it takes time