Working at California Pizza Kitchen — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about California Pizza Kitchen pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at California Pizza Kitchen

From Santa Clara, CA — 07/22/2010

CPK is a good company to work for. Unless you suck, in which case you're going to hate it (and every other job you're going to suck at).

From Columbus, Ohio — 03/14/2010

Our CPK is a really nice place to work. The people are friendly, managers are harsh and strict, but they are understanding. There are really awesome customers and there are a few annoying ones, but you will have that anywhere. The problems people mentioned about job security I think are a bit skewed. Like any other job you have, you should just not mess up. As long as you don't mess up you will be fun, just do your job correctly the way you are supposed to.

From Tempe, AZ — 01/25/2010

One thing wrong and we're canned. Respect is supposed to permeate this company and it is the last thing shown, especially from the regional director.

From Texas — 12/06/2009

NO JOB SECURITY, I currently work at CPK and let me tell you I have seen servers of 5 plus years get fired for a minor violation. So far in the few months I've worked here I have seen 5 different servers get fired its up to the point where some days you don't know if you're going to get fired for one minor infraction.
CUSTOMER SURVEY's- Managers/ Corporate base 90% of their perception of servers based on customer surveys. And even if you do rack up some perfect survey's it only takes one ticked off customer to write a survey and get you fired. Think about it out of all the customers or people you have seen one is going to be mad.
PAY- its standard restaurant pay (you keep 80% of your tips) plus 30 minutes - 1:30hr of non paid sidework.
CO-WORKERS- good people, help you vent your frustrations with customers and you get to hear some of their crazy customer stories

ALL in ALL- Good part-time job, pays better than retail, Job demands are higher than retail, 20% of customers are awesome 70% of customers are respectful 10% treat you like a slave and will complain in some way.

From Las Vegas NV (Town S — 08/20/2008

CPK as a whole is a good company but, you know what they say...a company is only as good as the people who run it. I've never met Managers like these. They promise you the world and deliver little. Then, when you've given all you time and effort and then some, if they don't like you they (figuratively) take you out back and shoot you. The money was good great location and clientele. You"can" make a living here but don't get too comfortable ever!That's when the wolves in sheep's clothing rear their ugly heads and surprise you. Apply here...just beware as I said... I made some good friends there and that's the best thing about this job...good co-workers.

From Emeryville, CA — 02/12/2008

Most aspects of this job are pretty good, but there is one major drawback that nearly cancels out all of the positives. This drawback is the clientèle. This restaurant is surrounded by some areas that are quite poor and/or just don't know how to tip properly. It's not uncommon for a server here to get less than a 10% tip, even for good service. Considering that servers in most restaurants receive 20% or more for good service, this has always been a huge source of anger and frustration. On the positive side, a lot of cool people work here and I've made some great friends, and most of the managers are pretty cool. Even though a lot of the people who eat here don't know how to tip, it's still possible to earn $120 on a busy night, but you have to work your ass off, and this only happens twice a week max (on Friday and Saturday nights).