Working at Cablevision — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Cablevision pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Cablevision

From hoboken, nj — 03/05/2010

I love working for Cablevision, they've given me many opportunities to succeed AND I HAVE. I make great money for my age and work hard to earn it. The 401k & benefits are awesome, this company is very fair & treats you good if you're doing what you're paid to do. If you hate Cablevision f*ck off and work for someone else.

From Bethpage, NY — 03/05/2010

I absolutely love working for Cablevision. I am challenged everyday and I am rewarded for the hard work that I put in. I feel like I am recognized for my input and no matter how bad the economy is, I have a sense of security in my job.

From CT — 12/29/2009

PAY-$18.37 a hr- not bad at all for entry level
RESPECT-the ppl i have to work with on the regular i have no issue dealin with, those who i never came across...........i have no idea what in their mind
BENEFITS- FREE, beat that
SECURITY - like all jobs in d US, go hard or go home
WORK/LIFE BALANCE_ i have enough time to do all my stuff before and afer work, and fridays and saturdays off
GROWTH-@ my current stats i'll be makin 22$ and hr in 4 months
LOCATION- XBOX360, pool table, arcade games in rec room-love it
C) WORKER-I could always ask the guys next to me for help when they are available
WORK ENVIRONMENT-it work, not meant to be fun, but it actually is, every reason to have a dress down day or day of fun is taken by management
TSG Shelton CT-

From Shelton, CT — 10/18/2009

I've worked in TSG for a while but I've also come to it understanding what a call center experience is like. Quite frankly call centers phone positions are about as stressful and difficult as it comes. You deal with negativity all day from customers, so if you're not prepared then you're going to hate your job. I love it. I have absolutely no complaints. I've done everything I've had to do and I've succeeded, I've been promoted and I'm making pretty decent money. Most of the people that get hired into the position are young and don't have much experience in a high stress environment. I've worked far too many jobs making far less money and have received far less respect. I've achieved every goal I've made for myself so far and have no regrets. Working at Cablevision is NOT for everyone. Stats are a huge deal, micromanaging is huge, and if you can't handle something like that then I suggest moving on, for those that can, it's an good opportunity to get your feet wet and build up a decent resume. I would not be making this kind of money and I would not have the opportunity for promotions I do, if I was working at any 1 of the call centers I've worked at prior to this one. In reading all these reviews, I can say, at least for the shelton Call Center, that it isn't nearly as black and white as it's made out to be, and I venture to guess that the people with the biggest complaints were simply not very good at their jobs - understandable. If I lost my job tomorrow maybe I'd be on here talking smack too. No one likes a minimized ego. I have one question to ask though, if it was all that bad why didn't you quit at day 30? I didn't start working at Cablevision to be coddled. I came to make money and earn promotions and I'm doing my best and it's paying off. I don't buy into the politics, I do my best to support everyone around me, but like any other call center job, you get your complainers and your martyrs.

From Bronx, New York — 09/16/2009

The company is average. If you abide by there rules they don't bother you and they allow you to advance within the department's as far as they want you to, when they want you to. They are a Average Call Center among competitor's in other industries, but the VP walks around and wants to be the "BEST PERFORMING CALL CENTER" They will promote people within the department that don't do any work, and won't promote people that show the initiative until they are ready to offer them the position. They also promote people who are not knowledgable about the aspect of the business. After someone get's Promoted....they get lazier. What I don't get is it's a PHONE!!!!!! Your talking over the phone to people, how hard is that. Supervisor's there sit at there desk, and say that there busy, and they have multitasking skill's that's worse than the reps. If your typing up an appraisal, and a representative is asking you for help, isn't it the best interest of the company to assist that representative. If your listening to a call, you should pause it, and help the representative. DUH!!! They are supposed to be the expert's in the field, however, they leave the reps to walk around to people they "KNOW WILL HELP THEM" Many Supervisor's do anything that they can to avoid assisting the rep and protecting the customer experience. The supervisor's that work there during the day need to be trained more thouroughly. Most of them that have been there for years, and don't know anything about new things going on within the business. Many of there Rep's know more than them. If you walk up to them for help, they are looking for their LEAD...who know's more about the in's and out's than they do. It's a new day and age, and many of the supervisor's in the day are ANCIENT and don't even know anything about HIGH DEFINITION televisions. They find QUALIFIED subordinates, to call back the customer's and resolve the issue's. It is great for the customer, but what about the INTERNAL customer that is going beyond the call of duty. (IT's not even their supervisor asking them for help...it's someone they don't even work with) How many times are you going to do that, Try to get ahead, and they hold you back!!!! They build your confidence up and tell you your doing great, but ultimately won't let you progress, even if you have shown that you are ready. There is not a big difference between this industry and other industries. Also, it is sometimes about knowing who you know. There isn't much evidence in this company, however, there are many rumors. Overall, it's a job that you can keep, as long as you have patience, and can abide by there rules, and numbers, however, there is no real motivation for growth in this atmosphere.............They will let you progress when they are ready. Other people that work within the company have no want or reason to grow within the company, however, they are willing to give them Promotions with open arms, reguardless of how many times they reject the promotion. It's just because of their "Status" in the Call Center.

From Newark, NJ — 10/22/2008

Cablevision customer service job for me is very stressful. The call center is very unorganized and ran poorly. They wonder why people either quit or get fired. There should never be 600 calls waiting in a que at any given time. It does not show that you value the customer or the representative that has to take the call. The pay and benefits are reasonable, but not enough for the headache that you leave with at the end of the day. The job security is pretty good. As long you have good availability,- come in on time, and come back from lunches/breaks on time, you are fine. There is no work/life bal if you work on a afternoon to night shift. The Location is right in the heart of downtown Newark, so that is cool. The Work Environment can be stressful. You may have supervisors that are over the top, and won't allow you to just be and focus on the task at hand. There was a new program that was rolled out, without being properly tested. STRESSED. As a result, we were penalized for our stats. Then Cablevision wants to ask us what's wrong? It's common sense, these are things that are right in front of their faces that they don't seem to notice. As for the co-workers... most people are pretty cool and feel the same way you do about the job...

From Bronx, New York — 10/03/2008

Cablevison has changed tremendously since I've gotten there. Yeah the benifits are great but the salary sucks. I've been there a little over 4 and half years and it's been okay. The overtime used to be great, however they cut it out completely so once again the salary sucks. I can't wait to get out, I am a college grad making almost 34,000.00 so then that sucks again. I am a senior dispatcher and have more skills and knowledge than some of the leads in the department I work in. I'm tired of them coming to me with question bc they know I w know the answer. Yeah it's good to be a team player but when you are not compensated for it as far as advancing it because frustrating.

From Brooklyn — 09/27/2008

I think the shop has gotten better over the last few years. I did get one of the promotions and I think it is because I work better than some of the guys that have been here longer. I do my job and I got a promotion, thats fair. Some of the people that got fired were good guys but they were stealing. I mean we were told about it for almost a year. Who has gotten fired for not working I can't think of anyone. Over the last five years there has been alot of diffent bosses telling you differnt things and maybe thats the way it goes. My supervisor and manager don't give me a hard time. I do about 6 jobs a day and nobody says nothing. What is so tough about that.

From Stratford, Connectic — 08/02/2008

I have been working for the company for over 10 years, and it's has changed a lot. That is to be expected, because it has grown so quickly. Customer Service has triple is size. Unfortunately I have seen good people come and go especially management. This hurts the department, because there is no consistency. I truly believe it is a good company, however their some people that make it difficult work. They worry about the ego, instead of doing what best for the business and employee. Not mention, they can never be wrong. However, there some great managers and supervisors that really care. The others are just there to get a paycheck. We have a new management team, however I do not expect things to change. I believe there is good career growth, however I am not going to insult you and say that "favoritism" doesn't play a role sometimes, however I am referring to a select few. You know who they are. In the most part, everyone is a level playing field.

From westbury, ny — 07/31/2008

Hello all. 2 of my relatives works for cablevision. one has been there 10 years now and the other has been there 4. My bro who has been there for 10 years is handicap but works extremely hard and knows his stuff. Cablevision has been an OUTSTANDING company for him and truly understanding. His benefits are EXCELLENT,so is their understanding when he is late due to bad weather and his growth from hardwork and dedication. He loves working there and does a great job. he gets along with everyone and tells me about it all the time. My bro-in-law who has been working there for 4 years is the same way, he loves it. He did start out low (he had nothing to give really), built up his knowledge and is now doing well. Their benefits kicked in right away and so did the free cable and internet (someone said 6 months wait, thats false). They also get other benefits as well. Cablevision is a great company to work for and I am hoping to become a employee their soon!