Working at cabela's — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about cabela's pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at cabela's

From Lincoln, NE — 09/27/2009

I worked for Cabela's in the phone center last christmas as a 'fast track' and was offered part-time perm this Aug. I accepted quickly since it is one of only two jobs in town that is call center and not telemarketing. The pay is above minium wage which is good and the 4% on accesories is nice (if you can sell some). The $5 for the Visa is good too. I think if they are going to require us to offer every discount then there should be some recompense for if the customer say yes and takes it. Right now, during the 'slow' time i can't seem to get the amount of hours i want but i know when about the middle of Oct. hits that won't be a problem.

It does always seem to be really warm or cold inside, which is irritating and seating is an issue unless your an old timer and have an assigned seat. (i guess seniority has some perks) I always grab a paper towel, napkin or kleenex and some of the anti-bacteria gell near the check in desk to clean my keyboard and headset. I haven't gotten sick since i started doing that but last year.. cold city.

It seems like keeping the job doesn't seem to be an issue but getting full time IS!! If i don't get a bump in scale to full-time by Jan. I will probably get a different job and keep Cabs part time. For a realitively easy job and decent pay it's a good place to be, just push for full time or plan on working it as a secondary job.

From Dundee, Michigan — 12/20/2008

Cabela's...Once a great company to work for. Prior to this company "going public", it seemed that someone (Dick & Mary, as well as Jim Cabela) really cared about what was happening.

The downfall of this once Great company, to much growth - to fast. Cabela's Executives thought they were better than everyone else. Better than the General Managers, Department Managers, "Outfitters", as well as the competition. Instead of hiring true "Outdoorsman", they hired retail people (Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Home Depot,etc.) who had no interest in the outdoor lifestyle and how to manage a "specialty retailer". Stores that were once outdoor "mecca's" were turned into over-merchandised retail stores.

Another problem was that Cabela's stopped caring about the communities they were in. After a couple of years, they played no part in parades, events, fundraisers, etc. They got their tax abaitments and moved on?

I enjoyed working for this Company...when they were privately owned and operated. However, I did not care for their Corporate Management team. These folks new small town retail and Catalog retail. They simply grew to fast and build stores with to much overhead. Their worst competition was themselves!

Pay was good, hours kinda sucked but you knew what you were getting yourself into when you applied for the job. At the Store Level, the Management was Great - at the Corporate Level, the Management was poor.

Thanks for the memories...I can say that I worked for a company that was 1 of the Top 100 Companies while I was there. Thank you especially to the Cabela Family - it was a pleasure to be a part of your success!

From Wisconsin — 07/22/2007

When I accepted the position I knew that the pay would be rather paltry, but I didn't expect it to be in the single digits when other established retailers in the area reward their employees with more. They, however, "offset" this with their generous discount program (which gets the employees to spend their paychecks at the store also with a convenient "store charge"). Respect from the management was quite impressive, especially even at the top. The general benefits were fair, but severely complicated for those who's working at the "Big C" is their first job. The potential for growth can be there if one knows how to get in with the right managers and work hard - just like everywhere else. But to get into a management position, first and foremost, you need to agree to be transferred anywhere that the company needs you. Rings of the Military. A few lucky ones stay, but only for a short time. If they need a manager in Idaho and you and your family are in West Virginia, tough luck. Move or you will never see another promotional opportunity again.

Biggest drawbacks: The company touts that they hire experts in their respective fields (true), but their requirement of employees working 3 of 4 weekends per month, and not allowing vacations during crucial hunting and fishing times, does not allow sufficient time for those "experts" to exercise their expertise. These experts do not even have the time to use the equipment that they themselves had purchased (on their store charge). Constant management shuffling is also an annoyance. With such continuing growth, new managers are always in and out the doors. For the simple employee, a different manager every 3-4 months is traumatic. SPEND THE MONEY AND GET AN UPDATED INVENTORY AND SOFTWARE SYSTEM!!! Enough said. Drinking was the mainstay of the social life after work.

Biggest Plus: Working with the best equipment, products and the most knowledgeable people in the business. Most of the employees were friendly, but also as the other posts stated, clique oriented. Only a few were downright malicious, but that can happen anywhere.

Work smarter, not harder and one can go a long way - figuratively as well as geographically. Great job for a young person who wants to stay with a well established large company, or for a retiree who wants to add a little to the bank account.

From Sidney, Nebraska — 07/14/2007

I agree with another reviewer, this is a great place to work. The payscale is fair, the benefits good. If you are a local, and are content with living in the plains it is a good place. If you are an outsider, drawn in by the appeal using your outdoor expertice in this company, you may be in for an unpleasant suprise. The location is boring, and you have to drive 150 miles at minimum to persue reasonable outdoor activities. Off hour team building involves watching the locals time and again get flat out plastered whether it is at a local watering hole, a home or an event. Since there's nothing to do, the locals drink, gossip viciously and attend church and don't seem to see that combination as in conflict. Many of these folks are second and third or even longer generation, and have never resided more than one or two hundred miles from this place, and are proud of it. It leaves the outdoorsy outsider starving for intellegent conversations. If it weren't for the location, this would be a great place to work.

From Sidney, NE — 05/19/2006

This was the best compnay I've ever worked for and I made some really great friends and learned a lot there. However as much as I liked working there, loved the products and coworkers there was no chances for promotion. If you were on the macho side and got in with the right clicks you might get ahead but mostly whatever you were hired to do is all you got to do as long as you were there. Always treated well but it was not uncommon to work really hard on something and then a new executive might blow in take over what you were doing and get credit for all your work.My other gripe was the location. It's located in rural Nebraska a place with little to do, lots of drunks, lonely or bored house wives, small town clicks, racial prejudices, and a strong dislike for outsiders. Many nice people I knew who moved there had their marraiges ruined because the spouse was not accepted into the community, had nothing to do, or was left out of the very male clicks in town. Add to that the lack of things to do, really bad weather, busybodies that always knew what you were up to and small minded under-educated locals and it was just not a good place for me and my family. Again I loved working there and always felt well treated beyond the issues above but felt bad for my kids and hated the lack of advancement options. I wish them well and miss the job but had to move on to advance.