Working at Burlington Coat Factory — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Burlington Coat Factory pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Burlington Coat Factory

From Cleveland, OH — 04/14/2010

I have to say after more than 8 years with the company I feel new life. I recently hated it and it got to the point of starting to take a toll on everything we do. There is a lot of change going on, we have a lot of new management, they finally fired our dm after over a year of torture which clearly the regional people saw through and had enough too. I think for anyone joining that as all retail it tough, burlington is getting better and this is the best time ever to jump on.

Pay is good, nothing outstanding, but I get my check each time and were doing reviews with raises this year
Respect is incredible, how many times does your operations director come into your buidling and actually talk with people, what a concept, our rvp gives us respect like we're people as well. Our last visit our regional operations guy was cleaning shelves and helping prepare for the holiday and spent time with each associate. II hope the rest of the company culture has changed to this, people that aren't so high on the totem pole that they don't care anymore. This is the way it used to be,
Security is good, we're getting more stable in a bad economy I think.
Career growth is ok, most are happy doing what they do. If I wanted to move up I feel it's possible, but a lot depends on if youre willing to move.
Location is tough, we're in a very bad enighborhood, but our associates love our clientele and also enjoy fighting the good fight and making a difference where we live.
Coworkers are all good, we have issues like everyone else, but simply put things are good overall.

It's a tough job, but if you want to be respected and paid ok, you have to work for it and after a bunch of interviews sevceral months ago, I keep realzing how much more I am going to stay here because it doesn't look greener on the other side,

From New Hampshire — 04/05/2010

I've worked at Burlington Coat Factory for about six weeks so far. I was offered the job at the end of the interview, it felt like all I was asked was if I actually wanted the job.

Pay - I make $7.25/hour aka minimum wage. It kind of sucks because I made $7.50 + tips at my last job, but I get more hours at BCF. There a chance to get a raise every year where you get evaluated and such. I got hired just after the evaluation period this year.

Respect - I'd say it's average, it's definitely not horrible, but it's not excellent either. It's such a huge store, 50+ employees compared to the 7 I used to work with. But everyone's fairly nice and willing to show you what to do.

Benefits - I only work part time and don't qualify for them, but they seem alright. We get a 10% discount and on special occasion it moves up to 20-25%

Job Security - there's a kind of high turnover rate, but as far as I've been there only one guy has gotten fired (he shoved another employee hard) and several other employees witnessed it and he was fired. I don't know the whole story. There are employees who have been there over 5 years.

Work/Life Balance - I'm still in high school so working 20-30 hours a week definitely puts a dent in my social life. Between homework and work I have almost no time to hang out with friends especially since I work around 5 hours friday night and eight hours on both weekend days.

Career Potential/Growth - I don't really feel I have any chance for upward movement, people who have been there five years are still in the same place they started in.

Location - It's fairly good; just over the border from the town I live in. I'm hoping to be able to transfer to a BCF down south when I go to college.

Coworker Competence - As always you have your good and bad coworkers. Some chitchat with neighboring department's cute guys and do nothing to help, but others are constantly working hard.

Work Environment - The customers can be really rude, but you just can't let it stick and have to shrug it off.

From Delaware County, PA — 01/06/2009

It's been quite a few years since I have worked for Burlington Coat Factory, but I must admit, my experience was fairly positive. I worked in our store's shipping/receiving department which wasn't too bad. I had great hours. I worked 9 - 5 Monday - Friday, which is pretty cool for working at a retail store. My pay rate ($7.00/hr) wasn't that great, but I guess that it was fair considering the fact that it was a fairly stress free position. The two older women who worked in the department with me drove me nuts at times, but they were fairly entertaining as well.
At one point, I offered to help open a new store. I offered to do this because my pay rate sucked, but if you assisted with a store opening, you could work unlimited overtime. I have to say, that I was quite impressed by the way the company took care of their volunteers. Opening a large department store, is quite a bit of work, but the company totally made it worth it. The store that I was helping to put together was only an hour, but they still put me up in a hotel for the week. We worked like 14 hour days for week, but our district manager was really cool and went out of his way to take care of us. Every morning he would round up the volunteers from his district and take us all out to breakfast. When lunch rolled around, he would do the same thing. Every night when we were done with work, he would take us all out to dinner. We weren't being taken out to McDonalds or anything like that. We were being taken out to some pretty decent places....Olive Garden, Red Lobster..places like that. If you wanted to drink, he would even buy booze for people at dinner time. It was a pretty good deal, and I definitely felt appreciated, which rarely happens, especially working in retail.
The manager of my store wasn't a bad guy either. At one point I got a job offer from another company - this company was offering a little more than what I was making at BCF. I quit BCF to take this other job, but after being at the new job for about two weeks - I realized that I hated it. I called the manager up and asked him if they had filled my old position - he told me that they had not. I asked him if I could get my old job back, and he was totally cool about it. He was just like, "sounds good, I will see you on Monday."
One downside was that the people on the salesfloor treated the people in the receiving department like crap. For the most part, they were pretty ignorant, but it wasn't anything that I couldn't handle.
The other downside was the health insurance. The health insurance plan was good, but full-timers had to wait a year in order to be eligible for health insurance. That was shameful.

From Kenner, LA — 12/31/2008

I have read alot of negative responses about Burlington Coat Factory, but believe it or not I have experienced a great time during my employment with this company. I really believe it depends on what location you work at and how the managers run the store. The pay is okay, which could be better - the biggest problem with that is that some of the new employees make the same or more as some that have been there for years like myself. To get raises it's almost impossible and only available once a year in January depending on sales. If the sales were down and you did your job it doesn't matter, no raise!!! Overall the managers respect the employees and the store manager often shows appreciation to indiviual employees. However, one of the assistant managers can often be rude and quite harsh. The benefits Suck! Health insurance is way too high! Cannot afford it, I believe only 4 or 5 people in the store get it.
The potential and career growth is good. I have often seen people promoted from within, or promoted and transfered to other stores. In fact, the store manager started as an employee himself and worked up to General Manager. He motivates others to strive for the same.

The overall work environment is good to me, and I love the store. The biggest problem I have is with the raises and health benefits. It's also pretty nice to see the manager's work along with the employees.