Working at Books-a-Million — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Books-a-Million pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Books-a-Million

From Columbia, SC — 12/15/2009

Pay - sucks. Totally dependent on your GM. Your GM has to stick within a budget. He/she doesn't get extra money when associates get raises or have experience. So, your GM really can't be blamed if they bring you on board for the lowest possible amount. Anything more means a shift they despirately need coverage probably won't get it. And, let's face it, the associate level is a basic, entry level job. No, where BAM really screws people is at the specialist/manager level.

Respect - depends on the store you work in. If you have professional, good managers you will get respect. If you do your job, you will get respect.

Benefits - good. I don't like how you get "personal days" for working Easter or Thanskgiving. Most of the time you don't get an opportunity to use them. Vacation - you don't get a 3rd week until your 10th year anniversary.

Job Security - fine as long as you do your job. At management level, this means working overtime in addition to your regular duties. There is no way everything can get done that needs to be done without the salary managers working way over 45 per week. Associates - just sell the cards and the mags and you will be royalty. You can get whatever you want. If you suck at it though, bye-bye! A lot of the people here are misleading - it's easy to get cards and mags legitimately if you just ask give the right speil.

Work/Life Balance - Pretty good if you are an associate or a specialist. Unless you volunteer for more availability. Co managers are pretty much limited to 45 hours per week because the company doesn't want to pay their overtime. Salaried managers - you can forget about it. You are "owned" by BAM. You will work extra - not every week. But when they want you there, you'd better be there.

Career Potential/Growth - Outstanding for those who have the ambition and ability. Comes at a price though - you have to deal with increasing levels of office politics the higher you go and more hours for very little compensation. Looks great on a resume though. If you can handle it.

Location - great. If you need to move and you are an asset to the company, you can transfer. "Good" managers are sometimes pressured to transfer to stores in different markets for quicker advancement. If you are cool with that - good. If you can't handle relocation, there is only so far you will go with the company.

Co-worker competence - varies. Depends entirely on the competence of the GM.

Work Environment - great - as long as you have a competent GM. If they don't tolerate petty rumors and they strive for excellence - they aren't just mailing it in - then you will have a wonderful time.

Basically, most of your experience with BAM depends on how good your GM is. How well they navigate the politics, how dedicated they are, what soft skills they have, etc. This isn't to say that the other managers don't matter. But the GM sets the tone. If they don't care, no one is going to care. There will be no incentive for anyone else to care. I've seen great specialists and managers leave because of crappy GM's. It begins and ends there - so ask around. If he/she is well liked, you are going to have a good experience and won't end up posting anything here.

From NC — 01/30/2009

I have had my time edited by my assistant general manager for about 3 months. (shortened it) That I know of. I took this to my immediate supervisors and they told me that they knew it was happening and they spoke to the boss (GM) but got brushed off. They told me that they have been tracking it as well keeping records because they adjusted their time as well.
Our anonymous hot line is not anonymous.
These problems are only going to get worse because payroll got cut back more. What do you do in this situation?
This will probably end up in a managers email box and be dismissed as a PO employee, or they will use it to find me and fire me. Regardless this sucks and no cares.

From Duluth, GA — 06/16/2008

This place has some good points, but overall it is crap! When you are salaried, they expect you to work unlimited hours a week, and if you act like it is a problem they frown upon you! You constantly have to put up with incompetent employees, and pathetic higher ups! When you have bosses, putting more emphasis on discount card sales, than customer service, obviously you have a problem! You spend so much time doing spreadsheets and reports, you barely have time to maintain your staff! The turnover rate is so bad among co-managers, that they will hire any ole, ghetto person off the street, and make them managers! Then the intelligent ones, have to deal with there lack of!

Nuff Said, I could go on all day! ;-)