Working at Blockbuster — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Blockbuster pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Blockbuster

From Akron — 09/07/2010

Omg blockbuster was one of the worst paying jobs ever I workd there for four years when I quit I was makn 9 bucks an hour. As a manager! I nevr could take a break without being interuptd the dm was always tryn to push sales goals do I get commission for that? No! You get to keep your job! Are u kidding me?? The only perk is free rentals. Five a week. If they have been out for a month..

From Quincy,MA — 08/24/2010

First and foremost, I am writing this during a recession and still employed, thus my opinion on the company may be slightly less severe than some. I have been employed by Blockbuster for almost 4 1/2 years; a span that covers two stores (Mar.06 at one, April.07-now at the other). I started as a CSR and was promoted to Shift Leader in about 2 months. I went back to school and never bothered advancing further, though have certainly had the opportunity to. Now that this little background info is taken care of, I'll comment on each specific area.
**Pay: I started out at $8.50, which wasn't bad for '06 or as a CSR. Some of the CSRs I work with now barely make that. Upon being promoted, I received a bonus of about $.82, and have gotten two raises in all my time (One was for .12 and one for .03, and those are actual numbers....)
Bottom-line:The pay sucks, but could be worse. With the economy and company going down the drain, I'm not expecting any raises anytime soon.
**Respect: Respect was always present from managers, and corporate usually doesn't bother me. When we make our goals they tell us we're doing great, when we don't, they're not as happy. I've never felt like I was being looked down upon by anyone on a personal level though.
**Benefits:Free rentals, that's really the only perk about working here. There's a subpar health insurance package and we had a 401k system at one point, but other than that, they really don't offer much in the 'benefit' department.
**Job Security: Stores are closing and the company is in trouble. That's not exactly a secret. If you work hard (selling whatever program they're focusing on that week) you'll get hours and be fine. If you would rather not do the job you've been hired too (selling...) then they'll get rid of you.
**Work/Life Balance:As I mentioned earlier, I'm a student, and my school schedule comes first. During a semester, i work weekends and that's how it goes. Maybe I've just been lucky, but I've never had problems keeping the two separate

Bottom line: You're being paid to talk to people about movies and while you're at it, why not sell a candy bundle? The sales goals aren't always easy to meet, but if you can do it, you're golden. You get free rentals (as of a few months ago, 10 of them!), and work a mostly safe place that is likely heated in the winter and air conditioned in the summer. Is it something you'll retire doing? I'd certainly hope not. If you need a job while you're in school, and you like movies, it's perfect...

From Paducah KY — 06/03/2010

It was a alright place to work but very precise how you place everything. Hours are crazy, it's open 365 days a year. THEY STILL USE DOS operating systems.

From Jacksonville, FL — 02/13/2009

I've been with Blockbuster, part time, since late 2004 and I've enjoyed working there.
Pay: Started at Minimum wage, never got a raise except with minimum wage until I was promoted, at which point I waited 5 months to see a raise. Never saw any backpay and my DL won't go to bat for me. Luckily I have a full time Job that pays reasonably.
Respect: As a store level employee, you get almost no respect from anyone above store manager level unless you break sales records or work in a store that actually manages to fill the insane goals that corporate sets for the store level. From my store manager and my coworkers I've always felt respected. Although, when my last store manager first came in, she thought I was a lazy bastard until she realised that I just couldn't make up for the crappyness of those who worked the shift before me in time to keep up with my own duties, and ever since we have been a big happy family in our store.
Benefits: I don't take any of the benefits available to me, but I really love and use the hell out of the free rentals.
Job Security: I've never felt anything but secure in my job. For one, my store does so little hiring that we don't ever have to fire anyone for anything short of stealing or no-shows.
Work/Life Balance: My SM has been nothing short of accomadating when it comes to my part time schedule, and the with new hours just recently I can actually have an evening after closing the store.
Career Potential: Eh. I never cared about promotion. This is the gig I do for fun more than anything.
Location: a 5 minute drive at most.
Co-Worker Competence: As I said, as long as they are showing up, not ripping the store off, and taking customers on register and also getting sales, I consider whoever I work with to be great. It gives me time to finish projects, Do weekly assigned activities, etc.
Work Environment: No comment, really.

From Collegeville, PA — 12/26/2008

Pay: As a shift lead, I wasn't expecting a super salary, so $10 was okay by me. However, raises were non-existant and "extra work" was not compensated for.

Respect: The main issue in this section no longer works for the company, so my complaint is mostly moot. District employees were extremely harsh and unforgiving to our store employees, though I believe it was that much worse that the GM wouldn't answer their calls.

Benefits: For a "just for now" job, the benefits weren't that bad - insurance that covers emergencies and store freebies kept me content. I would have liked to view stock options or other benefits, but they were not offered to me.

Job Security: Fairly steady. There was a high turnover rate at the store that ensured no one else would be fired (unless you *really* deserved it) since they couldn't afford to lose anyone else.

Work/Life Balance: My major complaint in this area was being assigned shifts at other stores. Some of these stores were 30+ miles from my store, had different setups, different clientele. About half of these shifts I received on my day off or on days that I had requested off ahead of time - calling store managers to inform them that I could not cover the shift resulted in bad marks on evaluations, claiming I wasn't a "team player."

Career Potential/Growth - Several opportunities to be promoted to shift lead, first assistant and store manager in several stores while I was employed. Turnover rate seemed very high.

Location: Very busy shopping center, tucked away in the corner. Parking was always an issue. There are two signs for the store on the shopping center sign so it was easily found.

Co-Worker Competence: Mostly high school students trying to make a quick buck. Most didn't put in an effort.

Work Environment: Moot point now, but the store manager was a nightmare to work with. Morale was horribly low.

The odd thing about the company that I still haven't figured out was their training program. My initial orientation was at a store 30 miles away and I showed up only to be told it had been canceled. I was assigned to work in one store but scheduled to train in a different store... making my few shifts in "my" store difficult as employees didn't know/respect someone they hadn't worked with before.

The store manager at the store I mostly worked at was also the district trainer, making her work Monday-Thursday during the day and Sunday during the day. She was in store only Mon-Wed. Not having a physical store manager present during busy shifts or holidays made it extremely hard to have customer service done quickly and efficiently.

The bottom line: Need a part-time job? Not a bad option overall as a Customer Service Representative. You'll spend your shifts on the registers, upselling and tidying up the store. Any customer problems can be fielded off on shift leads or managers. If you're looking for a full-time position, I'd try elsewhere. I did.

From Provo, UT — 09/01/2008

I loved, loved, loved working at Blockbuster! Other than the random customers who thought they were always right and thought they knew how to do your job, it was the best place to work. Not only did you get free rentals through the "video familiarization" program, the work schedules were always tailored to my school schedule. Employees were always willing to help out when needed, even if meant borrowing people from another store. The pay was better than fast food and I was able to advance pretty quickly. I love this place!

From Provo, UT — 07/30/2008

I absolutely loved my job at blockbuster. I got paid to talk about movies and watch movies. It is not difficult in the least. With that in mind, Blockbuster beyond your store level does not care about you. I loved working for our store manager and most of the staff was fantastic. We loved movies and were there for that reason. However, pay is terrible. I was able to put up with it due to my enjoyment of the job, but that can only take you so far. Once a year we get raises. My store manager did my employee evaluation, gave me highest marks possible, and did everything in his power to get me the maximum raise amount. I received 20 cents (.20, 20% of a dollar). He knew is was BS, I knew it was BS, but that was the maximum amount and not much could be done. It was then that I realized that despite me liking the job, I could not stay. Bad pay is OK if you know that one day you can make more by working hard and you enjoy your job. Knowing that it will take you 5 years to gain a dollar in your hourly wage despite the best recommendations possible is a slap in the face. I was with the company 2 years and ended at $8.70 an hour. That includes my jump in pay from moving up to a shift lead (pretty much the only possible way to get a raise, but there is not much room to grow after that).

Respect was fine. I felt that if I treated both customers and employees with respect, they often did the same. Some customers will freak out no matter how you handle a situation, and some employees just simply don't care about you or themselves. But, for the most part, respect was not an issue.

Benefits are sweet. You get 5 free rentals a week plus a 6th that can be used on a video game (it changed to this newer system a few months ago). You get to rent movies 1-2 weeks before they come out on DVD. However, the longer you work there, the less you think of the benefits. You start to realize that for 2-3 hours work at another job, you can pay for a movie pass and get unlimited rentals. Non-rental benefits I never used so don't really have an opinion about them.

Job Security. Oh my. You have no fear of losing your job. You may feel like it sometimes when your store doesn't reach its unobtainable goals, but you really have nothing to fear aside from the occasional write-up. I had several people I worked with that ranged from ridiculously lazy (to the point where I would rather work alone than have to watch them get paid for nothing) to unbelievably crazy (crazy enough to currently be living in assisted housing). Despite this, I have never seen an employee fired. Basically, no matter how bad you suck at this very easy job, you will not get fired unless you get caught stealing something.

Balance was great. I went to school while working here and the schedule was very flexible. I always got as many hours as I wanted and got the days off I needed (as long as I requested them off within a reasonable amount of time).

Growth and Potential is laughable. There is 1 real promotion to shift lead. Aside from that, you may get lucky and find an assistant store manager position nearby if one opens up. All in all, there are 2 advancements, and both are just glorified versions of your starting job. They don't pay a whole lot more, but much more is required of you.

Location was great. I biked to work to save on gas money. Blockbusters are all over the place so it should be easy to find a nearby one.

Co-worker competence depends on the worker. A lot of the workers were fantastic. They did what was required and were fun to work with. There will also be some downright horrible employees. A lot of these have worked at blockbuster longer than most, but due to nobody getting fired ever, they keep sticking around because their job is secure. Blockbuster is not a hard job, but co-workers will find a way to mess up the easiest and most basic tasks.

From Paducah KY — 07/31/2007

My biggest complaint is the operating systems (computers/registers) they are so out dated you have to memorize to many propmts, when someone is ready to pay you even have to type in cash the amount and enter. Love the benefits, my store manager and dm, dl are great. The hours are really bad closeing shift is 4pm to midnight and they are open 365 days a year.

From Miami, FL — 07/03/2007

The company had a good concept in the beggining. However by pushing their online activations and not rewarding stores for doing so, they are hurting their retail business. Why would I want to continue paying $5 per rental if I can get UNLIMITED rentals via mail for only $9.99? No wonder they are closing a lot of stores.

Company also doesn't want to spend money on their stores. They are still running MSDOS on their computers!!! Prepaire to memorize at least 20 commands to get the basic functionality out of it. Most of the people I worked with were deadbeats or drug users (good for them that Blockbuster is too cheap to do drug tests even on managers). Here and there there were good and caring folks, but few and far between.

On a positive side, store manager's schedule is one of the best in the industry, with Sundays off and only 1 closing a week. Benefits were pretty good also. Pay is mostly fair and decent.

From Michigan — 05/09/2007

I worked at Blockbuster for almost five years, and although it was a fun job as an assistant store manager, I made 8.20 an hour. This didn't bother me at the time because I was in college but once district managers starting making us sell and sell, I had enough. I got respect from my store manager(a real cool guy) and I liked a lot of the other employees. It was a fun job, but not a career. Job security is alright because no one wants to work for peanuts. I was still able to have a life outside work but would never consider a potential career there. Location was good, and my coworkers tried their best to sell. The work environment is nice because you get free movies and get to know regular customers. I still get recognized as the Blockbuster girl. In conclusion, Blockbuster can be a fun job, but don't make it your life. They really only want you to sell for them. (the new Blockbuster online program is cool though :o))