Work at Best Buy — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Best Buy pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Best Buy

From Downingtown — 12/16/2009

I am always failing to enjoy going to work at a job where I must always deal with incompetent and overly egotistical people asking questions that would take 2 minutes of computer research to understand.

From Oxnard, CA — 12/07/2009

Best Buy is one of the best companies I have ever worked for. The recently went through a restructure, so my score is based on before the company changes. To keep it short and simple, the pay was excellent and so were my benefits. They provided excellent training to all employees, and we were all certified in our departments and cross trained in others. Best Buy was very generous to it's employees with benefits such as Best Buy Blue Crew Bucks. When attending trainings from vendors, you were often given free things ranging from Monster Cables to flat screen HDTVs. I personally got one of Sony's first Blu Ray players, and a $500 Monster power conditioner. Oh, and the employee discount is AMAZIING!! They value their employees and always take your ideas into consideration. LOVED working there! I was even awarded the Stock Options Award and received 250 shares in the company. Who does that in retail?

From NYC/Long Island area — 11/14/2009

I have worked in 3 stores over 7 years. Fun place to work if you make the effort to make it fun. Management will promise you the world but only give you just enough to NOT quit. Good place to put on your resume however if you stay for more than 2-3 years, make sure you are going to make it a career or else no other job interviewer will understand what you do at Best Buy and your time will have been wasted.

Pay: Very good pay for what you actually do and compared with other retailers. Inconsistent and unfair pay system though.

Respect: A lot like high school, you will be respected if you are liked and have a good relationship with peer and management. Customers will NOT have respect for you and as far as they are concerned you are beneath them. They may not blatantly disrespect you, but it is very obvious disrespect. Be prepared to have the ENTIRE WORLD ask you about any and everything that has to do with any kind of electronics whether you are on or off the clock, on the way home, getting into your car, on your lunch break, using the bathroom, whatever.

Benefits: Very good benefits. 401K, and there's even an employee stock purchase deal.

Job Security: You wont have to worry about losing your job, unless you are late like everyday or steal. Best Buy remains at or near the top of all retailers. Be prepared to take a pay cut if you leave though because you will not make the same amount of money doing the same thing anywhere else.

Work/Life Balance: You will work twice as hard on weekends, evenings, & holidays. You will have no life. While the rest of the world is spending time with family, socializing and enjoying life, you will be dealing with pushy, impatient customers. Get used to missing out on many weekend events.

Career Potential/Growth: Best Buy is constantly opening new stores. As long as you do good work, AND have good relations with leadership (kiss a little @$$) you WILL be promoted. There are MANY openings and oppurtunities to get promoted.

Location: Again, there are stores all over the Tri-State area so you will never need a long commute unless you choose it.

Co-worker competence: You will work with mostly young college students who feel like Best Buy is "beneath them" and swear that they will earn a six figure income elsewhere when they graduate. They will usually do as little as they can. As time passes and they realize that Best Buy is their only option, there will be a change in behavior and sudden rush to try for a promotion...usually accompanied with major bus tossing and @$$-kissing.

Work Environment: Overall a fun place to work with lots of opportunity.

If you don't mind working "odd hours", weekends and holidays, and you are able to comfortably coach, train, and hold people accountable, then go for it. I personally outgrew the company. I needed my weekends and wanted more stability.

From Baytown, Texas — 11/03/2009

I don't work here anymore, but I have to say it was my favorite job. I worked in PCHO/Wireless and loved it. You have to know your stuff to even make it through the day, so if you don't know it you will. Everyone knows what they're talking about and are kept well informed, unlike most retail jobs. It didn't take much effort to catch up and get on board. There is a team spirit that isn't overwhelmingly product and sales oriented. They really do love their employees and want to keep you happy. They pay well, great hours, smart co-workers, decent management. The atmosphere is ideal for undergrads. who have a passion for anything from computers to dvds. The discount is to die for<3 and you'll never find benefits like they offer. I rarely worked the real register but even that was well above par for the industry. You're kept up to date with thing you are interested in and are constantly learning in a good way. Nothing is shoved down your throat. You get dibs on new stuff and get to provide customers with things they WANT not necessarily need making the sales enjoyable for both parties. Sales positions are NOT COMMISSIONED BASED. Could you ask for more?

From arlington heights — 10/19/2009

omg i love it here. the job is amazing and it what i love to do. i havnt had any problems with my manager and the ben. are way better then the pay.
WORK HERE IF YOU CAN
High school students great place!

From Chino Hills, CA — 08/28/2009

I've been working for Best Buy for 4 years now. And I have been screwed over when it comes to the company being restructured, but I'm old enough to realize it happens. Best Buy didn't start laying off people when the economy got bad which says a lot. Yeah it's not the best paying job, but it's retail and it's more than I made at Sport Chalet or KMart! I have fun while I'm there. The morale of the store does depend on the managers and there was a point where I was a lot happier when we had a different general manager but that's any job.

From Phoenix, Arizona — 07/28/2009

Pay was great for the job, I got nice raises at the six-month and one-year points. If you knew what you were doing, you had a lot of respect from everyone, if not, you were an outcast... lucky for me, I knew what I was doing. Benefits, for me, were okay. You have an employee discount that may or may not be that great, depending on the item. I was only part-time, so I didn't get "real" benefits. Job security was good, if you knew your stuff, you were good to go... if not... actually, they'd put you in another department, so they like to keep their employees.

Work and life balance... meh. Best Buy has a way of making you feel as if the company should be what you eat, sleep, and drink. Scheduling itself was indeed flexible and easy to manipulate, but the psychological impact of coming home after work, *still* thinking about customers, sales, etc. That's what I couldn't stand, personally. Career growth was another fail. With the new operating model, Best Buy has locked its full-time positions into very exclusive, hard-to-get privileges. Other than that, they profess they'll help your future career, no matter what... not really, when the company keeps plugging "I'll work here forever" into your head...

Our location was great; close to home and close to other BB locations. Co-workers were awesome, managers are very respectful and make effort to know you. Actual sales reps were trained very well, managers not so much. We often commented that it wasn't fair the managers didn't have to internalize as much as us, when we had to be experts in cameras, computers, media, car electronics, gaming, and mp3 players. It is indeed a lot to ask. Our store was clean, and if an area was dusty, we dusted it. Best Buy stores, however, are loud and have many shiny objects - not so good for ADHD people ;)

From MA — 07/16/2009

I've worked at a Best Buy store for almost 2 years now, and I couldn't be happier. The people I work with are wonderful and the only bad thing, for the most part, is the fact that you are still working retail, so customers have a tendency to disrespect you on a daily basis. Management at my store is constantly improving from a customer standpoint and from an employee standpoint. Other than the occasional bad day (which you could get at any job) I think that I got extremely lucky with my job here.

From Jackson Tennessee — 07/01/2009

I have been my store for a while, and it has been ok. We had a point in which it got to be pretty rough, and not fun anymore, but it is starting to get fun again. My managers are getting more personable and they interact with most all of the employees, but a there still feels as though there are favorites, but one of the things they talk about is having a "best friend at work", and I can say I have that.

From Colonial Heights, Virginia — 05/25/2009

Store 788 was an awesome store! It was my first job!
I gave it a 4 for pay because since it was my first job and I was still in high school, I considered 9.27/hr amazing pay! Especially since I was getting so many hours!
I gave it a 2 for respect, because although I would have some people that would usually tell me what a good job I was doing, I was rarely recognized by management.
I gave it a 4 for benefits because, since I was in high school I didn't really need any insurance or anything, but the employee discount was a dream! Once, I got a tv stand that was selling for $180, for only $35! And they carried it to the car for me!
I gave job security a 4 because majority of the people I was hired with were still there when I left a year later. The only reason they'd fire you is if you stole from the company or you abused the employee discount, which rarely happened.
I gave it a 0 for work/life balance because it seemed like I spent most of my time at work when I wasn't in school. But, it's a sacrifice I had to make for all the hours and money I got!
I gave career growth a 2 because although I never got promoted, I saw a lot of people around me moving up in their jobs. Unfortunately, a lot of the time, the people who moved up were less deserving of it then those who actually wanted the positions.
The location was perfect! It was surrounded by a Target, a Walmart, a Mall, a movie theater, and tons of fast food places that you could go to on your breaks!
I gave co-worker competence a 4 because I have never seen any group of employees have the amount of knowledge about a product as the employees at this Best Buy! It was incredible! They helped me buy the laptop that I still use today!
The work environment was so friendly, I had to give it a 5! Everyone there was your friend, and occasionally we'd get together and go out for a midnight dinner! We were light a tight-knit family! We even had parties, barbeque dinners, and volunteered to walk for diabetes together!