Working at Best Buy — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Best Buy pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Best Buy

From Waterford, CT — 10/14/2010

I love my job. My boss is very understanding considering I have a newborn. My GM actually cares and checks in with how me and my family are doing. I feel comfortable hanging out with my superiors in and out of work. Couldnt ask for a better team.

From De — 09/23/2010

I currently work at one of the busiest best buys in the company. I love it. Its not a hard job to do and almost everyone I work with are great. Never too much pressure for sales, I think just enough. Our managers are great and easy to approach. My biggest complaint is the recognition for doing above and beyond your job expectations. The only people that seemed to be appreciated are, of course, the favorites. But hey, favoritism is going to be everywhere, that's life.

From Centennial, CO — 05/06/2010

Best buy is the best place i've had the pleasure of working. The management appreciates you and encourages you, not like many places where they breathe down your neck. It's friendly and exciting, they offer a lot of training so you're not stuck in a situation where a customer asks you and question you can't answer. They are great at living up to their motto: "Have fun while being the best."

From vineland, nj — 05/04/2010

I am extremely lucky to work at a small store that everyone is close to each other. I enjoy going to work every day. Its retail so off course your going to have good and bad days, but its about how you handle it. When i do well i am recognized and praised. When i mess up im pulled aside and respectfully showed what i did wrong and how to improve for next time. The awesome customers outweight by a longshot the rude customers i have. My managers our awesome, the people i work for our great and ive made alot of good friends here. If your going to work retail i recommend you work at a smaller best buy store.

From Tx — 04/03/2010

I've worked at Best Buy for several years now. I enjoy the job. It's retail and you can expect all the things that retail is. Sell extended warranties, offer good customer service, smile, and offer Geek Squad. As far as the Black Tie (extended warranties) goes, it's a pressure to sell, but certainly not as hard core as some other retail places I've worked. I feel like my thoughts and opinions are taken into account when I offer them. Overall, it's a pretty good place to work. My biggest problem is potential for career advancement. Unless you're REALLY into sales, it's not that good.

From Montgomeryville Pa — 03/27/2010

Great place to work during the holiday season. Tons of hours, They hire alot of new seasonal help but when its off season it sucks. I went from 40+ hours a week to now 10 hours every week. I now need to look for a second job until the holidays come back around but its a job. One major thing is the discounts! You get major discounts on products. For example I got a $180.00 HDMI cable for $22.00, and I also got a $255.00 TV stand for $55.00. That is the main reason I stay! Now I know times are hard but if you are looking for a job and best buy offers it to you, take it! Jobs are hard to come by and this is not a bad place to work.

From KY — 02/17/2010

I am a former employee trying to come back w/ the company. There are managers at my store that are idiots and employees who should never be allowed to work at an electronics store, but it is a good company. There are alot of perks to the job. as i have now learned you might think your job sucks, but trust me don't leave best buy unless it's for a job you went to college for. any other retailer will suck 1000 times more than you will ever realize. Just grit your teeth, enjoy your discount and added benifits and don't leave for another retailer ever.

From british Columbia — 02/03/2010

The pay was alright but the respect from the customers was totally absent. Basically you get spit on and slapped in the dirt for people who think they're kings/queens of the world. Management at my store was alright. Kind of thought it was ridiculous though how our general manager didn't know how to do anything from a simple return to a simple sale. I think if you prove yourself competent and hardworking, they won't want to let you go (unless you do something absolutely stupid like steal/use your reward zone for customer purchases) so you get as much or as little hours as you want.

From traverse city,mi — 01/30/2010

Best buy is a great place to work if you are a student, or just looking for a few hours.the employees are awsome,I get along great with everyone.the employee discount is great. The only down fall is that in summer being a part timer you get 20 to 30 hrs a week,fall thru spring only 20 to 10hrs a week.or even less.you do jnot get health benefits unless you are full time.advancements.....keep dreaming,it won't happen.I've been there two years and I'm still stuck cashiering,and in the process of getting a second part time job because they promise more hours to us, bnut I'm still only working 11hrs a week.I've been there two years and still stuck at 9dollars an hour,don't expect a raise if you decide to work for best buy.

From Long Island, NY — 01/19/2010

First, I would like to say that I believe it is very ignorant and close-minded to speak of a company as if every single environment is the same. In my time having been employed buy BBY, I went to 2 stores. I cannot explain explain to you how distinct each store really was. One was absolutely atrocious, the other was just fine - an okay place to work & pretty good atmosphere.

It makes absolutely no sense to piss & moan about a company as a whole. Every experience will be 100% different.

PAY __ Somewhat fair. I mean really, your paid to just organize a few items & talk to people all day. Boo hoo, customers can get a little pissy but that's RETAIL. Evaluations & many different position openings allow you oppurtunities to UP your pay, sometimes very high. Naturally, initiative has to be shown. Occassionally, there's that store that you need to be brown-nosing to get a raise, as with many other companies.

RESPECT__ This category should not be on here so generically for this company. I mean, when you call HR or something they're pretty nice to you I guess ? But EVERY STORE will range from cool & respectful co-workers & managers to completeley ignorant disrespectful ones.

BENEFITS__The benefit that stands out the most is the CRAZY discount. You practically pay wholesale price for the items which is excellent. You can really stock up good stuff working here. I never got a full-time position at my time at BBY so I don't have much to say about the rest.

JOB SECURITY__Typically not to bad when you're good at doing your job. Like with any other company, the more valuable employees will be secure and get more hours. Employees who aren't lazy & give good availability too, not the ones who schedule themselves to NEVER close & don't work weekends. Those will be replaced the quickest, usually. Laying off is not typical.

WORK/LIFE BALANCE__You have to be smart about your work ethic in order to have a proper balance, or else you will be a slave to Best Buy. BBY Managers, for instance, are ALWAYS there. During the holidays you may find yourself living at Best Buy, but that's just the way it is & it's not like your not getting paid for it.

CAREER POTENTIAL/GROWTH__BBY went to a recent "restructure". Many stores fell victim to complete rearrangment. Theres ONE supervisor for like 6 different departments including Computers & another Sup for Home Theater & Appliances -- it is absolutely ABSURD. Senior positions & other leadership roles have been cut short dramatically. There's much talent at many BBY's, unfortunately many of those talents will go unrewarded because the growth aspect has become so limited due to the ridding of many supervisor/leadership positions. You really have to put yourself out there & commit in order to make a move, nowadays.

LOCATION__Here in NY there are BBY's in almost every exit. Hah.

CO-WORKER COMPETENCE__Varies. BBY is although, the most likely place you will find someone who know's what there talking about when it comes to certain electronics. EX. Magnolia Home Theater or GeekSquad. Competence & courtesy although, will be based purely on work ethic & morale.

WORK ENVIRONMENT__Can be very fast-paced depending on the time of year or can be very calm...The day goes by fast when you keep yourself busy.

Overall, your experience will be influenced by your perception of retail & work ethic. Some of you will get unlucky and fall into the misfortunes of it all, but I would recommend atleast giving it a try. Work isn't always fun, it's not really meant to be. But Best Buy does atleast give you oppurtunities to make it your own.