Working at Bed, Bath & Beyond — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Bed, Bath & Beyond pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Bed, Bath & Beyond

From texas — 07/23/2010

Bbby is a great company to work for. If you have a good and caring managment. If you have good managment they care about the employees before customers.

From Stroudsburg, PA — 07/23/2010

I am in love with my job! The management team is incredible, helpful & always there to support 100% of the way. BBB Culture allows for a happy work environment & I am blown away by all of the negative reviews of this company. Are there always going to be some bad apples? Of course, but from what I've seen BBB is quick to correct & make sure everyone happy all around - not just the customers.
For those who want a promotion - say so & then put in the work. I am doing that now & I am seeing the rewards starting to come to fruition.
As far as work/life balance - it's retail people - you had to have known you were going to be working crazy hours, no?
We are here to exceed the customers expectations, and that is what I do everyday. My superiors see that, respect that & reward that - even if it's a 'good job'.
Again - I am in love with my job!

From Mishawaka, IN — 06/28/2010

personally, i love working here. i love having so many things to do. all of the people i work with are super nice and i feel like the employees are all tight-knit. the managers actually listen to the things i say and they are always there to help out when i need them for anything. they are all awesome! i've only worked at BBB for a couple of months but i already love it. I agree that the discounts could be better and that the ladders can be dangerous at times, but all-in-all it's not that bad. I disagree with most people on here. everyone i work with seems to love it here. :)

From grand rapids, MI — 05/16/2010

-pay is good
-work too many hours (salary) to make up for high productivity and not enough hours to provide great customer service.
-cannot trust HR manager
-district manager not professional, same for the RVP. My fellow managers and I have been called idiots by the dm and the rvp has pushed product off the shelves at times.
-career growth is ok. They are a promote from within company. But who wants that???
-employee incentive program is great, however we receive the same 20% discount our customers get.

From Wichita Falls Tx — 04/18/2010

I've worked as an hourly for this company for almost 2 years. I LOVE every second of it! sure every once in a while somebody might be in a bad mood, but what job isnt like that? I read all the reviews where the store is like at a negative 50 or whatever. basically not every store is like that. my managers are amazing. my district manager is awesome, and even the other associates are good. yall must have had just an awful time, or yall werent good at youre jobs. sad... bring down the best company out there, by slandering their name

From Illinois — 11/04/2009

I have worked for Bed Bath and Beyond for almost 4 years at two different stores. I am an hourly associate, but I really enjoy going to work every day. The two stores I have been at have both worked around my school and college athletic schedule and have even allowed me to work back home during the holidays. They even worked around other work schedules of mine, even allowing me to work for a competitor during the holidays and having me work around that schedule. The staff and management (for the most part) has been respectful, even visiting me when I was injured in the hospital and throwing me a birthday party outside of work. It is a relaxing environment that I have enjoyed and I have met many good friends while working here.

From NJ — 04/11/2009

the pay is decent for someone starting out, but for growth potential, there is very little. however there is no respect for one's personal life or work. everyone makes fun of each other and their situations. its like a Preschool for Adults. Benefits are decent, yet I am PT so that does not affect me. you cant loose this job unless you are really good at what you do, and there is no reward for being good. you get blamed for things you didn't even do and you could be promised something and the supervisors change their mind just because they want to. you work all the time and get very little for it. no employee appreciation, nothing. Location however is great since its right around the corner from me, but for the aggravation I get, I often think its time for change.

From Jacksonville & Orlando — 01/16/2009

I worked for Bed Bath & Beyond for three years. I started in Orlando Florida and transferred to Jacksonville North Carolina. I moved my way through the store beginning as a Cashier, moving to Softside, Hardside, Receiving, Front End Super, Customer Service Manager, and ending with Office Assistant.
The store in Orlando was a high volume store with a very knowledgeable and successful general manager, Kevin. Department Managers at the Orlando store were also very good with managing their departments but seemed a bit discouraged with the incompetency of general employees.
Training of employees at all locations was lacking and consisted of a crash course in company ethics, policies, and procedures. Time should have been set aside for showing the new guy the ropes. All employees start out as cashiers but in my opinion, they would learn so much more shadowing a department associate prior to cashiering. Product knowledge classes are helpful if the trainer knows the product and doesn't just read off the corporate handout. Unfortunately trainers usually read off the corporate handout and gave the answers to the "test". I trained for a short period at the Jacksonville store and found my employees could pass the "test" without my help when I explained the product and more importantly how to sell it!
The 20% employee discount is discouraging because it makes it clear that employees are not as valued as the customers given customers often receive the same discount if not more when you take into account the assortment of $5 or $10 off coupons. The incentive program is nice but I found myself waiting for merchandise to show up on the as-is table so I could afford it on my hourly salary. Who can afford a Dyson even with up to a 50% discount on retail salary?
I would complain about the lack of vacation time but what do you expect when you work retail. The job was hard, time consuming, and physically exhausting but it was well worth it. I learned more at this job about merchandising, marketing, advertising, retail operations, and public relations than I could have ever learned from a textbook. As I finish up my Business Communications bachelor degree I am grateful to have the experience to draw upon for example and real life application of the business concepts.
If the company had more full-time positions within Santa Clarita and surrounding areas, I would return to the company without hesitation. I have developed lasting professional relationships with each of the stores I have had the honor to work with.