Work at Bath and Body Works — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Bath and Body Works pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Bath and Body Works

From Portland, OR — 02/13/2009

First, in regards to the ratings: The pay is 25% higher than any wage I ever received as a Store Manager in any other company. The respect level is high for me, because respect is reciprocal. You have to give it to get it, thus meaning, its mutual. Benefits are incredible. Job Security is tight. My Work Life Balance is the most important aspect to my boss, as my associates work life balance is the most important to me. Career Growth is immense, this is a company which will provide you with all the resources, you have to come with the will. Location is a little further from my home than my last Manager job, but I would drive another 30 miles for this job. Co-Worker competence is incredible because we all learn and grow together and from each other and from our customers. If you aren't open to learning and coaching, or you just expect it to "work" for you, you have set yourself up for disappointment. Work environment is perfection. Great fragrances, the best customers and some of the highest quality products available for the price! In regards to the other comments about this company. Every single complaint I can link to complete lack of personal accountability. Bath and Body works is by far the absolute best company I have worked for in my 15 years in retail.

From Lake Grove ( SmithHaven Mall) — 12/10/2008

I have only been there for about 2 weeks, I love the product, but something def. needs to change about how the store treats the employee. The work schedule is never posted on time, I be lucky to work 4 days a week. Not only that, but with all the employees that work in that store why don't they have enough space for them to put there belongings, I have to share a locker 2 other people. I don't know anyone in that store yet well enough to put my purse and wallet in a locker, when someone else has the numbers. The first day I opened the locked and someone had there smelly shoes in it, and Thats where they wanted me to put my things in!!!!!. The microwave that they use is dirty, the refrigerator is dirty, and has so much ice packed into it, that it doesn't close. The back room is very cluttered and dirty. They took there time and showed me the register which I can handle, I went on a 15minute brake after being there 2hrs which was ok, but b4 I could leave to go on my 15minute brake I had to have a manager walk me to the front of the store b4 I could leave. when I got back they put me on the floor to help customers, now I've never been in this store b4, don't know the products, don't know where they are located, don't know what's on sale, but they wanted me to help customers!! they told me " Just explain to them that you are new" ( what good that did, I had customers going back and forth trying to find things, they were getting a little frustrated and I don't blame them) they didn't even give me time to look around and get familiar with the items so I would have some idea of what I'm talking about. Or better yet have someone give me a quick tour of the store b4 making me try and help some. I can't tell you how many times I had run up to the register or find someone and ask them the same question someone just asked me... And some of them my co-worker/managers had the nerve to get a little frustrated that I kept asking them for help. When it's time for and employee to leave for they day they have to be walked up front by management, once they get to the front, a manager stands there in front of all the customers, and they other 25 people walking past the store at that time and pats up down, checks your pockets and goes through your purse and other personal belongings to insure there satisfaction that you didn't steal anything that day. That is wrong on so many different levels... There are other ways of doing that..... I'm about 100% sure that I would be working for this company tooooo much longer, they treat there customers better them the employees.

From long island, ny — 09/29/2008

I've worked at BBW throughout college as a part time sales associate. I really enjoyed my time there and loved the people I worked with. The only complaint I have is that they like to schedule you for no more than 3 hour shifts...that way you don't need a break and it's more "efficient" This was a little fustrating when I was trying to make money and could only work 3 hours at a time. This also sucks if you are scheduled to work a 7-10 closing shift on a slow day where you end up leaving early. I also hated being on call and not knowing if they would need me or not. During the holiday season they offer TONS of rewards and free gifts for employees that perform well. The late night almanac sessions were a little annoying...but I didn't mind because I could get some hours in. They pay crappy but working with bottles of creams and shower gels is soooooooo much better than folding clothes all day.

From Georgia — 02/29/2008

I have worked for this company for almost two years and am now management. People that are hired part time and then "let go" for the holiday season are done so because they are the ones who complain, are late, get customer complaints, etc. It is hard work and it is retail. If you want to make less money and not have to deal with call in shifts go somewhere else. Please keep in mind, that ALL retail positions are good or bad depending on the store management. My store manager is amazing and wonderful to work for. Know that your bad experience may be based on a not so competent manager. Selling is a part of the retail world, if you don't feel comfortable doing something, this company won't feel uncomfortable about letting you go after the holidays. I enjoyed this job immensley and am very sad to be moving on. There is great opportunity for growth within the company but obviously part time associates won't be moving up until they have been an associate for a year or have had previous management experience. Moving up doesn't mean you have to move up in your home store, you can move to and from other stores within your district where openings occur. Our store has a locked cabinet for personal items and a snack area. Management is very well trained and competent. This year there was less hiring and more training so this will likely be a recurring trend for next holiday season. A lot of work and flexibility is asked of you but in return our store works nicely around any school schedules given AHEAD of time. However, if you have family things around the holidays, stay away from retail!

From Broomfield, CO — 06/29/2007

Pay was decent for a seasonal job I guess. Can't speak for benefits since there are none for seasonal workers or the for the potential growth since they had the higher positions filled with people that weren't going anywhere anyway. I really hated the call-in policy for work shifts. If i was scheduled for a CALL IN SHIFT. I had to wait until an hour before I was to be there..I couldn't call ANY EARLIER. Many times I was told to wait if I called earlier than one hour and that no sooner would I get an answer from them. On shifts when I was there and someone called in earlier than an hour they would chew them out for calling to early....we could be totally not busy and its snowing out and its clear that these people wouldn't be needed and they'd still make them wait and call back. Inconsiderate, if you ask me. Forget planning anything else! So I HAD to be sure I was within a distance that when I called I could get there if they did say I had to come in. Around the holidays with visiting family its really aggrivating to come home, call in and find out I didn't have to work and could have stayed where I was. You also can't plan anything that night either. When it was time to let seasonal people go you just dissappear off the schedule...no one thanks you for your time or anything..they act like you never worked there...NICE! Guess its proof they just wanted warm bodies for the Christmas season. which I know is the nature of the beast of retail and the holiday season but I wish they wouldn't forget that they are dealing with human beings too. I really like the products and will still shop the chain (probably not the store I worked at) but I doubt I will pick up another job there.

From PA — 01/01/2007

This review is based on being a part time worker...can't speak too much for the benefits. The pay isn't bad for a part timer: $8.00 hr. Training: not so great, as is true of most retail jobs, they need warm bodies, they are always understaffed, so you just get thrown into it and told later what you did wrong. Whatever. Work/life balance: please. They have the attitude that you do not exist outside their doors and cannot possibly have a life: they expect you to be there every free minute. Example: It was mutually agreed upon hire that I'd work 2 or 3 weeknights. However, they have a "call in" policy, so they put me down the 2 or 3 nights they wanted me in and then pencil me in as a "call in" the other nights! Of course when I'd call in they'd need me...so they would have me working 4 or 5 nights a week. My beef with the "call in" is that if you want people to be on standby, putting their plans and valuable time on hold, then you pay them to take call. When they changed the store displays around they expected everyone to work to 2am...on a weeknight, knowing some of use have full time jobs. I told them i'd stay to 11:30, that is it. However, they acted like I was being unreasonable. I think expecting someone to come from a full time 8 to 5 job and then work 6pm to 2am is an unreasonable expectation. So, you have to set boundaries and stick to them if you want to work there because like a lot of retailers they will use and abuse you if you do not speak up. Also, they want you to constantly sell to customers, to the point it is annoying. I don't mind greeting, talking to and helping customers...but i'm not into bugging them. In my experience as a customer, i'd rather be left in peace to shop but expect the staff to be helpful and friendly when I seek them out for assistance. Worse yet the managers are always pulling you aside and telling you how to sell, demo, etc. UGH! Co-workers were nice, mostly college kids but it was a nice mix of age and race diversity, and most of them really did work hard. It is a nice atmosphere to work in but the smells could get to you sometimes, it made some customers have to leave. However, it is a bright & cheerful, nicely merchandised and pleasant physical space to be in. However, there was NO breakroom of any sort, nowhere to put your personal stuff like a purse, lunch, coat, etc. which sucked. Not a bad place to work if you set reasonable limits with the schedule and stand your ground so you don't get taken advantage of. The managers seem competent and know their jobs but are pretty busy and don't take much time to talk to you.