Working at Bath and Body Works — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Bath and Body Works pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Bath and Body Works

From Clackamas, Oregon — 08/15/2010

I have worked here since October this year. I love working here my managers are amazing my co workers are awesome. The pay is good I get above minimum wage. Scheduling is the only thing that i have ever had any issues with. and that has been resolved now. We have fun on the sales floor we make the customers feel at home. all of the ideas we come up with that the managers hear and think are good are used along with all the other lingo. I love being able to help customers find what they are looking for and help them find something maybe they weren't looking for. Floor sets are so much fun you get to have fun with your co workers and change the way the whole store looks. It is very gratifying to know that you helped make the store as beautiful as it is. All in all this is an amazing place to work for and I am so glad that I have had the opportunity to work for such a great company.

From Hendersonville, NC — 07/21/2010

I worked in a small store, with maybe 3 other girls on a slow day, and I remember I had a such a great time with them. I also had to have another job because this job alone was not enough. But the girls I worked with were so sweet, and so nice, and FUN. I didn't mind the smell of the store, and I bet that would bug some people. Yes, some of the managers and AM would press sales and encourage us to sell like crazy, but it really depended on the manager and how comfortable you felt pushing the customer or if you should back off. I think this place taught be a lot about sales techniques and working as a team, and I still go in all the time.

From Natick, MA — 04/14/2010

Everyone said they get minimum wage here, but I get a dollar over minimum $9 an hour in MA. I personally like this job, you may not get all the hours you want but it is really fun.

From NJ — 03/09/2010

So I worked at BB seasonal. It was also my first job ever, so this was my experience.

BB isn't bad, I met many new people and made new friends :). At the same time, working during seasonal is crazy! Sometimes, I'd have to go on register and I'd be on for 3 hours straight without even knowing it. And theres absolutely no break at it. Like people just go on coming to you.

My manager was the best. I loved her! Very understanding and yet she wanted so much for the store. At times there would be things I'd have to do even tho I didn't wanna. Like cleaning out the trash under the sinks or washing it up (which I thought was gross) but then again, the store is entirely composed of soaps and creams, what would you expect?

The holiday baskets they made when I was working seasonal were really nice, at the same the most annoying things in the world! To put them in a shopping bag would just take a minute or two, and you'd have to constantly re-stock them! Customers wanted a certain scent and you'd have to run back to the stock room.

Another thing is you have to be able to lift heavy boxes. Well not exactly heavy, but moderate ones. Constantly. They always want the under-stock full and the shelves full up to the brim, so it meant going back and forth.

But over all, I really liked it. My manager was really flexible even though my hours were a bit sketchy since I going to college too, but overall not bad. I'd work back there again if I could :).

Oh and I was making 7.75$/hour if that was of any help

From Milwaukee, WI — 02/18/2010

I've worked here for almost a year, and despite what other employees say, I think it's a great place to have a part-time job. I started out as a floor-set associate, but once the holidays started, I also started selling.

Salary: Usually for part-time it's minimum wage, which, now being 7.25 in WI, is still a lot better than I got paid doing more work, longer hours at other jobs.

Hours: Floorset employees can expect anywhere from 8-16hrs a month doing strictly floor-set. PT associates work anywhere from 4hrs-30hrs a week. You get to decide your own schedule online, which is really nice, since you don't have to go through a manager to set your availability. I've seen people gripe on here about call-in shifts - if they have their availability open for that time, chances are the store will schedule you for call-in. It's not that big of a deal really, if you want to make plans, don't leave yourself open availability so much.

Training: It's true there's not much training involved. They have you watch movies like everywhere else (but they know they're cheesy videos, so they make the videos fun) and if you've ever had ANY retail job ANYWHERE you'll be able to run registers. You can ask all the questions you want, and it's not a hard job to simply familiarize yourself with the store.
I've seen reviews critizing the fact that employees have to constantly engage the customers to sell...uh...duh...BBW does no marketing at all, and the only way customers are going to learn about products is from friends and employees who work at the store. You don't have to badger customers to get them to buy. If you're nice and helpful, you can easily sell almost anything in the store.

Benefits: PT associates don't get much. But you're almost guaranteed to be given between 20-$50 of products every month as store incentives or programs. You'll get a %30 discount at BBW, Victoria Secret and any other Limited Brand store.

Managers: The store managers are usually very girly type, but they're also very nice and caring people who have fun at their jobs. Sure there are a few who could use some lightening up, but most all the managers/asst managers I've met have been great. DMs come usually every other week to see the store, and they don't get much into associate business unless they see something going on wrong.

The Headset: I know many people who think the headsets are just used for employees to gab to each other, or talk about customers behind their backs, and sure - that happens sometimes, but Managers are always on the line too, and they prevent most of the free-talk. Headsets are used to convey customer likes/dislikes throughout the store, or to have employees find product elsewhere in the store for people.

All in all, this is a wonderful place to work. Especially in the larger volume stores (4 rooms compared to 2 room stores) because there is a lot to do and employees are rarely bored. If you're a highschool student, or college student, this is a nice place because you get to choose your availability (and change it at will) and the work environment is fun and engaging.

From Dickson City, PA — 01/25/2010

They will NOT give you hours or good pay. Expect this to be a very part time job. They promise you lots of hours and you will NOT got them.

There are no benefits, other than random freebies (a sample of perfume or something) and the discount, which is for Victoria's Secret as well.

They do treat their employees well, although the turn over rate is high. Not a horrible job experience.

From Ontario — 01/19/2010

Position: Part-Time Sales Associate (5 months)

Hours: HOLIDAYS - +30hrs, REGULAR - 15-20hrs

Pay: Minimum Wage

Respect: Employees are well respected. Bath & Body Works follows an 'Ask vs. Tell' model, in which management and associates ask one another for tasks to be completed/questions to be answered instead of commanding one and other to do so.

Benefits: N/A as benefits are restricted to full-time associates. However, as a sales associate, we receive a discount of 25% at Bath & Body Works, La Senza & Victoria's Secret. Managers receive a larger discount. During Holidays, this discount increases to 50%. Also, during Holidays & Sales, free products are given out as rewards and incentives during fun games and competitions.

Job Security: I have yet to see someone fired or written up. Care is taken to ensure that employees know what is expected of them and therefore, very rarely do employees break company policy. Also, if ever a disagreement arises between an associate and a customer, both sides of the situation are examined by management. However, as with all retail stores (particularly those with many student employees), there is a high turnover.

Work/Life Balance: Managers are considerate and respectful of work/life balance. Availability can range from wanting 3hrs a week to 20hrs. As said, with a large student body, I really appreciate and respect the time and effort the managers put into the schedule, making sure each employee is scheduled in accordance to their availability.
* A Note on On Calls: With On Calls, an associate is asked to call in two hours before the shift to see if they are needed. With On Calls, assume you are working. However, common sense must be applied - if your store has been having low sales all week, it is not likely you will be needed. Once again, managers are considerate of this and will usually let you know at the beginning of the week if it looks slow.
* A Note on 4 Hour Shifts: Working at Bath & Body Works is a high energy job - if you don't think so, then you're not doing your job properly. The company has a policy that associates will not be scheduled more than 4 or 5hrs. There are too many employees to organize such a large amount of breaks (particularly around Holidays) and shorter shirts keep associates focused and energized.
*A Note on Floor Sets: As new product constantly arrives, the store layout changes frequently. You will be asked if you are willing to work during a floor set, meaning a +6hr night shift. Floor sets are fun, involving snacks, music and lots of new exciting product.

Career Potential/Growth: Career Growth is the responsibility of the associate alone. Hard work, a positive attitude and great work ethic is noticed and rewarded, whether with additional hours, free product or a promotion. Evaluations occur periodically, providing valuable feedback and raises.

Location: Excellent location. Store is in a busy, clean, lively mall. Store is cleaned at the end of each night and looks tidy, well kept and organized. A wonderful floor and stock team keep the store stocked and the backroom organized. Seasonal cleaning and inventory means that items are organized and accounted for.

Co-Worker Competence: All of our lovely ladies & one gentlemen bring unique qualities to the team. Headsets make it easy to ask and answer one and other's questions. If an associate is less than competent, time is taken to teach and show how this can be improved. As said, to my knowledge, no one has been terminated. If an associate is unable to meet job requirements, their hours are simply reduced.

Work Environment: Excellent! BBW is a happy, upbeat atmosphere. Each associate is 'Zoned' and therefore, are aware of their exact responsibilities during their shift. This makes it easy to work together as a team. Store looks, smells and feels great. New product is constantly arriving and therefore, store layout changes often. As with all retail, holidays can be stressful and regular times can be slow - however, despite that, the customers and staff are excellent.

Overall: A great company to work for if you want a fun, flexible part time job.

From West Virginia — 01/17/2010

I have worked at BBW since September and I absolutely love it. My managers are super nice and completely respectful of their employees. I have a close relationship with some of mine anyways and we have fun when we work together. Our store is particularly clean, we sweep/mop every night before closing. Our backroom can get messy like you guys stated, but thats an issue with hours, because you can only accomplish so much within the store with the hours you are given. Our store is ran like this: Customers and Conversion are you main aspects. It's during your downtime are you meant to replenish and recover. WHICH for our store is very rare. It does suck sometimes when you don't have many coworkers scheduled to help you and it can't get overwhelming but you just need to take a deep breath and keep on! There was someone complaining about the managers getting 40+ hours a week, well I know store manager and co-managers get 40hrs , end of discussion. And during holiday they do end up staying later or extra than planned because it is such a mess and there's so much that THEY need to do also. During holiday, I would average about 25-30 hours. If you work hard, your managers will take notice and ask you to pick up shifts when hours are available plus hours are based off revenue . The more money you rake in for your company, the more hours you can earn, the more that can get done around the store. Job security is depends on yourself. You want the job? Earn it. And don't do anything to lose it. Obviously the pay is minimum wage as with any sales assoc. job within the mall that you'll find. I am in college so I was able to balance work/school great ! My managers really worked around my schedule. My co-workers were my worst. But most of them no longer work for us. They were rude, had bad attitudes, and didn't do their jobs. But they are no longer with us and our store is building a positive work environment for everyone to come into. I love my job, and I plan on keeping it for a good while =)

From Longview, Tx — 12/13/2009

Ok. First off let me say that I have only been working for BBW for about two months, but honestly it seems like some of you guys are being kind of whiny. As long as I have been there, I think it's a great job so far! Some of you complain about dirtiness, which is understandable but the store I work in is decent. I mean, it isn't immaculent or anything but there isn't dirt or dust on the floor or shelves. Also about getting called in: it's a job. You don't have to plan your life around it, just do what you need to do and if you get called in stop what you're doing and go to work. After all, people are complaining about not getting enough hours right? And if you're going to be doing something that you can't drop, don't be on call that day! If it's that important ask for the day off. As for not getting enough hours: did you check part time on your application? If so, there's really not much you can complain about. Part time is just that. It's not meant for people who have bills to pay. If you are supposed to be full time though and are getting part time hours I can understand, but I would just say that you sit down with your manager and politely point out that you checked full time on the application, and ask if they have any more hours available. If not, of course you need to find another job, but you should be thankful that you have one. After all, they don't HAVE to hire you, there are plenty of upbeat positive individuals who aren't so picky about hours that are more than willing to take your place, and that is the kind of employee that BBW needs anyway. You have to be patient with any job. The first couple of weeks that I was hired I was lucky to work two days a week, but I stuck it out and continued to be positive and this week I only have two days off. I am also applying for a part time job on the side just in case, but at this rate I might not need it. Oh well, to sum it up I really like working here, let me go ahead and explain my ratings.

Pay: Minimum wage for a regular associate like myself. Not great, but it's what should be expected from a mall job. For the work being done the pay is reasonable. They're not asking us to do rocket science, just look pretty and sell things.

Respect: Managers can be kind of bossy, but that's how you learn. They have to be, babying associates wastes too much time. If you're brusque with someone they will catch on faster so that they will get off of your back.

--Oh to the people complaining about getting their bags and pockets checked: get over it. People steal. I would much rather get checked throughly so that they know that it isn't me than for no one to get checked and for 3 or 4 people to get fired wrongfully just because "it's embarrassing" to get checked.--

Benefits: I honestly don't really know about them so I put 3 because getting 20% of is pretty great! :p

Job Security: I jut put 3 because I haven't seen anyone fired, but I've seen like 8 people quit in just a month so I figure if you stay you'll be set.

Work/Life Balance: I put 5 because it dosen't really interfere with my life at all.

Career Potential/Growth: I put 5 because it seems relatively simple to become a sales lead. I hope I get to be one, I just don't know weather you ask or they just promote you or what?? Anyway, there seems to be lots of steps to move up.

Location: I put 5 because working at the mall is really convienent, everyone knows where it is, and malls are generally in the middle of everything.

Co-worker Competence: I put 5 because I really like all of my co-workers! And unlike fast food or grocery stores you can't really be an idiot and work at BBW. You have to at least be of average intelligence.

Work environment: It smells good and everyone is nice so I gave it a 5!

From las vegas nevada — 03/21/2009

I worked for BBW for 6 months. I started during seasonal and I have to say I loved it. I was promoted quickly since they recognized how hard I worked. I always felt respected by management and by the majority of my co-workers. Yes there were some idiots hired that I could have lived without, but that can be said of any company. I think the pay was reasonable for a part time job. I will always look back fondly of my time there.