Working at Bankers Life and Casualty — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Bankers Life and Casualty pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Bankers Life and Casualty

From Ft Wayne, IN — 05/22/2010

Bankers was my first attempt to sell insurance. I had the usual misgivings about insurance sales & asked questions of the branch manager that would help guide my decision. First question was, "How are leads generated?" He answered that Bankers engages in mass mailings and calls are then made to those who respond. That met with my approval, leading me to believe there was interest expressed by the parties I would be contacting. That was a lie. Precious few actually returned the cards. I spent two days a week with a call list of the people Bankers had indeed sent cards to, but had not even one call resulting from a returned card. I was to set up a minimum of six calls per day (18 per week) for the three days we actually made calls. Lucky if I spoke to 5% of people I dialed.
Second question: where do the lists of people mailed cards come from? Answer was that they are purchased from a company that does demographics & that the people are "qualified" (in addition to age) by "things like home ownership." Again, this was a complete lie. When I asked my field trainer about it, he laughed & replied, "Who told you that?" We called on plenty of people that didn't have a dime, much less money to spend on insurance.
When I did set an appointment, it was under the pretense I would deliver information about the upcoming major changes to medicare & long term care. While we did cover those questions, it was apparent we actually were trying to get to their financial records (remember, we were mostly complete strangers) so we could sell them the more profitable annuities. Just a very uncomfortable feeling.
I'm not saying Bankers is a bad company or you can't make a lot of money as an agent. Just be aware of the pitfalls that I was too naive & trusting of to make my experience anything near a good one. I have since signed on with an independent agency that actually helps people while allowing me to make an honest living I can feel good about.

From Green Bay, WI — 04/10/2010

I love the Green Bay office. The company is solid. The training tools are awesome and you'll never run out of people to contact. There are no gimmees. Treat it like you are starting your own business, only with partners that truly want to help you to be successful. Lots of agents come and lot will go. A good office will never stop looking for the people that can and want to find success in this field and them to the team.

From Austin, TX — 04/06/2010

I am working at Bankers Life for the last six months. It is a great career for the right person with the right drive and attitude. If you are ready to dive in and work hard you will be greatly rewarded with a high paying career and your own business that you control. If you want a regular schedule job and steady mediocre pay than do not join us. This insurance sales job is great for people who are self motivated and who like to build relationships and help clients. The pay can be quite high if you are willing to do the work. The first 3-5 months are very challenging and your pay reflects your inexperience. You need to have 6 months of financial support in order to get started in this business securely. If you need to get paid in a week do not start this position. You need some cusion room to get started and learn the product line. It is a great job for those of us who can devote ourselves to it. You can plan your own schedule, take time off whenever you need to, your pay is a reflections of how hard you work nothing less. You decide your goals and future. There are tons of advancement opportunities with Bankers. The training is ongoing and excellent. The management is superior and the sales training is fantastic. It is a great career for someone with the right attitude and work ethic.

From Louisiana — 04/02/2010

I love it! I have sold policies and have personally seen my clients get paid from life policies and numerous long term care policies. I love to service clients and help them file claims even if I didn't sell them their plan. They do get paid every time I help them. I am building a wonderful career helping seniors protect their nest eggs. I have worked here 6 years and I am married with two children! Call the doctors and hospitals and nursing homes and home health agencies and see for your self just as I did before I started here. Providers love getting paid by Bankers!

From Cape Coral, Fl — 03/10/2010

I work at Bankers and must say that I am having a positive experience....Its hard work but when I make a sale its beneficial to me...What some people don't understand is that it is your own business...its up to you to develop your client base not Bankers...but they are there to assist you.....So stop complaining and go to work....perhaps you don't realize you must work hard to succeed....

From Chantilly, VA — 03/07/2010

I've read a lot of good reviews and a lot of bad reviews. Either you love it or you hate it. I love it....

1) I'm one of the most ethical people on the planet and when I book appointments to meet with someone my goal is to leave that client in a better position than when I first met them. Not all agents are out to just write business without having any validity behind the sale - that is few and far between. When I do hear it happens, a lot, also is done unknowingly. The application process is tedious, the portfolio huge, all of the laws, etc. Writing business and managing it has so many layers, which contributes to the confusion.

2) Bankers has some of the best training models that I have ever seen, but it is up to the agent to take responsibility instead of whining - you are given the tools now use them, learn and grow from it. Its a shame that not all branch offices have good managers and mentors.

3) I have worked and/or represented many companies previously, and I don't care what company it is, they all have legal departments. I don't find Bankers having more lawsuits than some other ones out there. Shame on some other major corps (American General, Allianz, Smith Barney, State Farm, Met Life, etc.) Some of my clients have shown me contracts they have, which I felt were not done in the person's best interest. Even a local branch of BB&T Bank called up one of my "75 year old clients" and insisted he take his $10,000 and invest it in stock - come over to the branch and we will take care of that for you. Isn't that unethical? At 75 you should be preserving your assets not putting them into something so volatile.

4) For those people just starting out - I knew what I was getting into when I started and I also knew it would take time to build a client base. I looked at this as just any other start-up company - you have to work at it to be successful. Not everyone is cut out for sales so find something else.

5) The leads - I know some companies that all they give you is a phone book. And as far as recycled leads....how do you know for sure the previous agent was able to connect? I do wish there was a better way of managing this; though. It is chaos trying to keep all together and then you rarely get the territory you want because they have already been given out to someone else.

6) I love the product line - very well rounded, competitive in pricing and uniqueness in features that other companies do not have. I love having the opportunity to meet with a senior with the opportunity to help them in more than one area as opposed to being stuck in one specialization.

Overall, I believe everything to be great. I will take the flexibility of my time and the opportunity to learn as much as I want any day compared to being stuck in a corporate office, at a dead-end job with 20 other people shooting for the same promotion.

What I wish would change....

a) the lack of cross management between offices. It's like going to a restaurant - some are good places to eat and some are not. How can you control the corporate culture and what the managers are doing, which funnels down to the agents if the corporation is not working cohesively. Is someone listening to all the complaints and working on turning them around?

b) not commission, but providing more benefits to their agents as opposed to none - maybe if you are there in 6 months this is what you are eligible for, 12 months, etc.

c) look into the best practices and success of other insurance carriers and model some of those onto us

d) quit hiring everyone off the street - better job of screening new recruits. (can't blame all of that on the branch office; though, when your unemployed its easy to say yes to an opportunity even when you know - its not for you)

From MA — 02/25/2010

I worked for Bankers for around a month or so. I didn't make any money in commissions while I worked there, however I was very close to doing so. This timeline is expected however. Agents start to make money around week 5, give or take a couple weeks. I moved on to a new opportunity which provides a salary and benefits. The work environment, training and respect is great at Bankers. It is VERY difficult to get on your feet in the beginning. I busted my @ss working around 65 hours per week or more...and I am an extremely motivated person with a MA. The required hours (at first) include Saturdays and all day Tuesdays. There is no guaranteed salary and no benefits. This makes it tough for a young unmarried male like myself. My co-workers were extremely friendly and very knowledgeable in the insurance/medicare realm. I was invited out on a couple of occasions for drinks after work as well. I began to see many of my fellow agents as "work friends" even. All in all, for me, this was a positive experience. I really did learn a lot. I definitely LOST money however with all the driving on "field" days, buying lunches, paying for license, etc. The experience has opened new doors for me however as I am remaining in the field with a more reputable company. In closing, if you have benefits under a spouse, have some savings or are on unemployment, and are crazy motivated...you really can make TONS of $ at Bankers.. BUT BE PATIENT and remember, don't let the phones own you!

From OHIO — 02/04/2010

Find it a great company to work for. I came to Bankers after knowing several older people who had policies with Bankers and liked working with them. For those who want to validate the accuracy of claims made by other on site check with the Insurance commission in the state you live in, also check with the Better Business Bureau and you will find that Bankers has an outstanding reputation

From Ft. Lauderdale Fla — 12/24/2009

I have been a Bankers agent for nearly five years now. Although the first couple of years were kind of tough, I stuck with it and today I am earning a good living. The insurance business is not for everyone, even if you do have an affinity for sales. You must have the maturity and perserverence to continue to move forward. I work in a great office with a super management team, headed by Roger. If you are looking to make a quick buck, this is not for you, however if you want to earn a decent living finding ways to help people...GO FOR IT!

From Chicago — 12/05/2009

WARNING!!! I really hope people don't believe all the crap that gets posted on boards like this. They only exist for bitter and negtive people. Who would want to listen to them anyway? The small cross section of idiots who post here aren't worth listening to. I really don't even care if you believe the good stuff. You should find out for yourself what Bankers is all about and form your own opinion. Quite honestly I know that only two kinds of people post on this board. The positive posts are by those who currently work at Bankers and have established a successful career. The negative posts are from people who were either terminated, or left Bankers because their core values did not match those that are expected by the company. These same people that post negative comments are the ones who leave the Bankers organization and then go out and lie, cheat, and steal. Then they get fined or called out and do everything they can to make it look like someone elses fault. I have been in this industry for a while and I have seen it a hundred times. You learn a lot about people after they leave your organization. What I have found is that people will do anything they can to justify why they weren't successful or how it is anyone elses fault but their own. This site is a waste of time. The company's been around for over 130 years. As I said, go form your own opinion. If you listen to this crap, you might be missing out on a great opportunity to work with a great organization. Not perfect, I'll agree, but what opportunity is?