Working at Bank of America — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Bank of America pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Bank of America

From Belfast, ME — 07/28/2010

I've worked for Bank Of America for 5 years (started as MBNA). The benfits are amazing. 12 weeks of maternitiy or paternity leave, great healthcare benifits, flexible schedules, work from home capabilities, friendly people, beautiful facility, a cafe on site, advancement opportunities, vacation and sick time, a daycare facility, and they pay for you to go to school!! They base your reviews and responsibilities on how you perform the task at hand... experience or not. If you work hard, show interest in educating yourself, and treat others with respect you will go far with this company. For all of you complaining, try being without a job at all, or better yet working your tail off in a dead end job little to no benefits.

From Arlington, TX — 04/25/2010

I work in Dallas (The downtown office) and I have to say that bofa has been a great place to work & do business with. The pay is not at the high end but not as bad as some of the other places in the DFW area. My manager & their boss's take time in the morning and meet with as many of the people on the floor as they can & top management makes it a point to "try" and know everyone's names. My area has over 100 people so it's no easy task. I am in a same sex relationship & bofa makes it a point to make sure that same sex partners get the same benefits as a hetero couple (health/life insurance etc.). In the DFW area there are several bofa centers you can work at other than a branch. You can have jobs in from the call centers for customer services & collections, research and adjustments, legal, lockbox and so on. So potential to move up or around is endless. Your job growth is really up to where you want to take it. I work with people who have been doing the job for 11 to 20 years and have nothing but good things to say. The only down side I have to say is that the benefits do cost more than anywhere else I've worked. For health care vision, dental etc for two people it's about $180 out of every check. But they are worth it if you have to use it. I have my mortgage, checking & savings with bofa and could not be happier with that. They do an extensive background check before they hire someone which makes me feel safe with the people I work around and makes me feel even better about doing business with them.

From Rio Rancho, NM — 03/09/2010

It's been the career I really craved. If you work hard and can take coaching - you can go anywhere in this company.

From brea — 01/16/2010

Pay- Not bad in collections, i hear its better at chase or such but whatever, bonus is pretty decent depending on your teammates can make anywhere from $250-3000 a month on bonus depending on teammates and stage of collections your in.

Respect- I've had no problems and all the managers are preety decent and supervisors to oand the the flex managers, except like 3 of them, but respect from peers is good

Benefits-dental and visions is cheap, but i don't knw about health at about 112 a month, matches 3% 401k after a year?... so its average

Work/Life- 40 a a week and overtime sometimes, honestly at our call center there were never thrweats of doing overtime, all the supervisors and managers were pretty chill

Career/growth- i guesss becoming a amanger or supervisor is very limited, however if your area has stages you can get araise everytime you get moved up in stages of 3%, so that is not bad and depends on a lot of tihngs, luck, dedication, and overtime

Location- no too far from where i live

Co-worker Competence- of course there are some dumbasses like all workplaces, some college grads, some high school grads and some didn't graduate highschool, so you'll probably run into a lot of people, but most of them are not bad and fun to talk to, most are ages 21-30 so i means its a lot of peers, of course there are some that ar 50+ years old but not too many

Work Environment- our environment can get intense if losing to control group or not hitting goal, but most of time supervisors are chill and managers are chill unless tehy micro manage depends on manager but over all environemnt is very friendly a lot oftalking and bsing and CNN on TV all day not bad,

From Milwaukee — 11/13/2009

So Far, All my experiance has been positive.

From CHICAGO, IL — 11/07/2009

Every job has its own positives and negatives. Just follow the policies and meet your goals and you should be fine. They offer unbelievable benefits. Keep in mind "Having BOA experience on your resume greatly increases your chances of finding a dream job in future".

From Chandler, AZ — 08/27/2009

Former Position: Loan Officer
When I started out with Bank of America, it was Countrywide Home Loans. There were certainly many positive aspects of working there back then: compensation, benefits, and sales environment.

Now for the real story: First, all of the commissions were cut retroactively on all of the loan officer's pipelines (active accounts that had not closed yet to pay bonuses) after the company had forced mandatory overtime to increase productivity during a decrease in interest rates. During this time, the attitude of Management was disgusting, with the audacity of saying things like , "be glad you have a job in this economy."

The only people who moved up in this company were part of a social clique among the company. I wasn't the Scottsdale yuppie type, so needless to say, I wouldn't have been considered.

As for the loan officers, they had some of the most talented salespeople I had ever worked with. The loan processors, however, were some of the most incompetent individuals I had ever encountered. The loan officer's commission depended on the loan processor's ability to execute and close a new account within a designated time period. The problem here was that the processors were on salary and could care less if the end of the month deadlines were met. Not to say that all of the processors were completely useless, but a very good percentage of them were.

Finally, the thankless condescending passive aggressive attitude that management has with their employees. Our lunches were cut down to half an hour which is legal in Arizona if lunch is provided by the company. The food though was something out of Oliver Twist. Disgusting, and you didn't have a choice but to bring your own food and still be stuck with a half hour lunch.

They tell you you are going to work just one Saturday a month, which is immediately a bait and switch. I was in that officer more than every other Saturday into the evening.

Listen, you can make some decent money working there, but do not expect this place to be a long term career goal. Management is very disconnected with the needs of the salespeople. Processing does not know what they are doing. Anytime the term "change" is used in the office, be prepared to know it is not usually going to be for the good. In conclusion, go work somewhere else.

From Baltimore maryland — 08/16/2009

Money is good, people are nice and promotions will come. Just do what your boss says and do not tell tales. Good Place.

From Charlotte, NC — 02/14/2009

BofA speaks of respecting work-life balance but does not practice it. This company has absolutely no respect for the humans in it's workforce - we are called "associates" and are really just numbers on spreadsheets. 80 hour workweeks are very common at this horrible institution.

From Wichita, KS — 10/01/2008

I worked for BOA for a year. Were there things I didn't like about my job?...absolutely, however, I loved my job. I was a sales and service specialist and I loved going to work everyday. The benefits are great! I received a raise and two bonuses within that year. The opportunity to move up within the company is available to anyone who works hard and learns the company. It seems like some of these other comments weren't working hard or didn't learn the company.

They are absolutely right that you have to sell products but I only sold products that they needed. There is that constant pressure of meeting your goals, but the reason the benefits are amazing is because of the new business that is created. I honestly don't know how the Personal Bankers met their goals but by hard work and thinking outside of the box it is possible. If you are looking at BofA for a career I would recommend it but go into it realizing that the starting pay isn't as much as some other places and there are weekends you have to work but the opportunity for advancement and the benefits make up for that, at least in my mind!