Working at Banfield, Pet Hospital — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Banfield, Pet Hospital pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Banfield, Pet Hospital

From north carolina — 05/15/2010

Pay- is pretty good. however i started here when i was 16 at minimum wage as an asst so anything more is great

Respect- respect is a major thing at our hospital. we may get snippy with each other from time to time but this is not a job for the sensitive. it takes a lot of emotional energy to be around sick pets all the time, my chief of staff however is very adamant about an open door policy its a common thing to ask the OM or DPN or even a doctor to step into an exam room with you so you can talk. we also have 0 tolerance for gossip.

Benefits- the petsmart discount is great with 4 pets i use that ALL the time. plus we have a discount with dell, m&ms, enterprise, and a lot of others

Job Security- its pretty simple do a great job and you wont be fired

work/life balance- its hard with school but my om/dpn is really great about trying to work with me and my schedule

career potential/growth- for me theres a lot but all i want to be is a vet so starting out cleaning kennels and now have worked my way up to nurse and soon sx nurse and then leave for school and come back to be a doctor.

location- theres at least 4 in charlotte and thats just charlotte. we're on the border of north and south carolina so theres a store for everyone

co-worker competence- we have many people quit on the first week because its too much for them or people who make it a month and still dont have it together after very understanding hand holding training that find themselves unemployed so the people who are still there are very good at what they do because they made it through boot camp week :)

work environment- i love going to work its crazy and hectic but the people are great and very supportive. we all teach each other new things everyday we all get along and on slow days in between rooms we swap stories about our various patients so that everyone knows about the owner who gave cpr for an hour and saved the puppie's life or the client who brings you a file on their dogs breed so you understand its a great experience.

From Chicago, IL — 02/23/2010

I just began my career at Banfield literally 2 days ago. I have been hired as a Pet Nurse, which I thought was great considering in the state of Illinois you have to be registered or certified to be a Vet Technician, but as a Pet Nurse I get to do the same if not more as a vet tech.

I have had previous Technician experience, only 6 months though. But 4 years as a Kennel attendant at a vet clinic in Kansas. I never thought about the fact that they are only hiring people who are less qualified for the job, I know I may not be totally up to date, and properly trained on everything, but I learn fast and am passionate about the work I do.

At the Vet Clinic I had previously been employed at, I worked with 2 doctors, and 1 other technician. We saw about 10 scheduled appointments, and roughly 5 surgeries a day. So pretty busy for a less employed practice. The vet owned the business herself, so with all the stress on trying to make enough money, (plus here the doctor spent the majority of the time with the clients) she ended up cracking one day. I was temping as the receptionist all day, and hadn't been in the tech groove. She asked me to pull some eye drops and put a label on them for the client, I did, but I didn't put it in a medicine bottle, (she didn't ask) so I put the label on the box the eye drops came in. I brought them to her, and she raised her voice and said (with the client standing right outside in the lobby) "HOW CAN YOU BE SO IGNORANT, WE CAN'T SEND THESE HOME WITH THEM IN THE ORIGINAL BOX!" I was very frustrated at this point not only because she was yelling and embarrassing me but because where was the actually tech for that day? (turns out she had gone to take a smoke brake....) So I told her that she really didn't need to be so rude to me right in front of the clients, she asked me what? I repeated it to her, and she proceeded to grab my arm, and physically drag me through the treatment area, and into the back where the kennels were locate (I was trying to get away, she had ahold of me so tightly that I grab onto the edge of a wall and still couldn't get out of her grip, plus I only weigh like 100 lbs.) She started yelling at me, telling me that she wasn't going to put up with this disrespect and that I was to only speak to her when answering a question she asks, and it will be yes ma'am no ma'am all while still holding my arm. I calmly told her that if she did not let go of me, that I would call the police. She let go, and went back to talk to the clients, and I called the police, she was going to be charged with battery, but I dropped the charges because I needed to keep my job. I ended up leaving not even 2 weeks later, because it was too stressful for me to handle after that.

ANYWAYS the point of that paragraph was to illustrate that fact that not every vet hospital you work at will be the perfect one, you need to realize before getting into it that Banfield is a corporation, so things are going to be screwy.

Pay: I rated as a 3 because me being a 21 year old, with no formal schooling, and only 6 months tech experience they started me out at a very good rate.

Respect: I rated as a -3 because it only being my second day and people are ignoring the fact that I am there and do not know how to do things "their way", they do not want to help me, and if I don't know how to do something properly they get and attitude about it.

Benefits: I rated at 0 because I was hired part-time and I get no benefits besides the discount.

Job Security: I rated at a 1 because I definitely feel more comfortable here than the last place I worked, but am still uneasy about the whole experience, although I am still giving people a chance to prove me wrong.

Work/Life Balance: I rated as a 5 because compared to the last place I was working a split shift from 7 am to 1pm then 1 hour lunch break, then back by 2 and stay till 8 at the latest. Here, I have more time to spend with my family after work.

Career Potential/ Growth: I rated as a 1 because I'm really not sure what they can offer me right now, I already "know" how to do everything they need me to do it's just I don't know how to do it "their way".

Location: I rated as a -2 just because for me it is a 30 minute drive to work there.

Co-worker Competence; I rated as a -3 because I feel like they do not have to minds to work in this field, they can't handle the stress, or prioritize their time properly, and although they may have more training than me, they do not speak or listen well.

Work Environment: I rated as a 2 because to me with the like 7 people who are always there it is easier for me to get things done, and I don't have the weight of it all on my individual shoulders.

From Eastern US — 11/22/2009

First, I have worked as a Vet Tech for the past 7.5 years. The last 3 of those years were at Banfield. I was very apprehensive about working there at first, but I had worked with the doctor that was getting a partnership there for 2 years prior and she was an AMAZING doctor and very kind and caring. That combined with the pay and benefits I was going to get, made it the best decision for me and my future. So I started working as a PetNurse. After about 3 months, I was promoted to Director of PetNursing. Basically, I was responsible for hiring and training all future PetNurses. We were full staffed, and everyone was already trained, so it really wasn't a big deal. All of us got along beautifully, and we had very few problems. Field Leadership would come visit us, rub their fingers along windowsills to check for dust and tell us to clean up more.

Gradually, things started to change. I needed to hire people. People started having issues with each other at work. I had NO TRAINING on how to deal with those things. Luckily, about that time, I was sent to the corporate offices in Oregon for Leadership Academy. It was a WONDERFUL experience. Very bonding, and a great opportunity for self discovery and improvement. It wasn't brainwashing like I thought it was going to be - it was self improvement, and training on how to deal with problems at work. I left feeling refreshed, and ready to deal with whatever happened. (Sadly, they no longer do this training in Oregon - they have leadership meetings closer to the hospital locations. Of course, this saves money, but going to the central offices and meeting the people we talk to on the phone and sharing the experience was something I will never forget.)

Anyway, after that other things started to change. I'm not sure of the exact time or whether it had to do with the hiring of a new CEO, but the focus was gradually drifting away from what's best for pets, to what's best for profits. The focus was no longer on the quality of medicine, but the MONEY we were making the company. Before, our location was told we were doing great..... high client loyalty, great profits. Not anymore. Now nothing we did was good enough. We were underperforming, losing the company money. We weren't charging the clients enough, we were spending too much on CLINIC NECESSITIES (GHP's, medications, vaccines, etc.) They took away our Dr's partnership, and she no longer had a say in how much we spent or things like that. It was all up to corporate (who, by the way, is currently made up of people who have NEVER WORKED IN VET CLINICS). They keep adding new VP's and CEO's, who have experience in Starbucks and other corporations, NOT VET CLINICS. These people have NO CLUE how to run a vet hospital, yet they are directing everything that's done there. They hire INCOMPETENT Vets and supervisors who have been blacklisted from every clinic in town (for KILLING animals in their care) yet Banfield doesn't care. They just want more money.

Now they have us spending our time filling out charts. Not medical charts - charts detailing the number of appts we have scheduled and the number of labor hours we use daily. Of course, our labor is always too high, and there are never enough appt's scheduled. Daily, we must fill these crazy things out and send them to field leadership. Our new gauge of how we are performing is APC - how much we charge per patient. They actually consider the APC to be a measure of the Quality of Care a pet is receiving. If it is under $110, we are not providing quality care. This is how the explain the meaning of APC to us -- quality of care.

Not to mention the fact their new goal is to have each hospital open all 7's ... 7 am to 7 pm , 7 days a week. Dr's work BY THEMSELVES - 12 hour days. Clusters of appointments, surgeries, at least 10 drop off's a day, not to mention the sick walk ins that come in. The doctors are actually working more like 14 hours a day. Staying until Petsmart management makes them leave at 10 pm, still trying to catch up on the notes they couldn't finish during the day, because it was back to back to back to back patients. Our doctors are burned out. They are exhausted and stressed. Both are on antidepressants because of how difficult it is to get out of bed and face another crazy day at Banfield. They spend an average of 50+ hours a week there, and it's still not good enough. We are still spending too much on supplies, and not charging enough. Corporate cannot seem to understand why we have a $800 day, followed by a $2300 day. They think each day should be consistent, each patient should be charged $110 (if not more), and each day should have an equal number of patients.

Also, I can guarantee you that someone from corporate will read this. They have people there that they pay to spy on the employees. Not to improve the care given to patients, but to hack into social networking site profiles belonging to employees.

Yes, the pay is GREAT. Pretty much the only vet clinic I've worked for that offers benefits. But half the people I met at training in Oregon have quit. The company is changing, and it's not for the good. The focus is no longer on the PETS, but on PROFIT.