Working at Banana Republic — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Banana Republic pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Banana Republic

From Charlotte — 06/16/2010

First off I just want to say that you should not be put off by any of the reviews here. People usually come to these sites for the pure REASON of complaining about a job. It's not typical for someone to come to these sites to talk about how much they love their job. So please understand that.

Also, I see a lot of people complaining about having to actually work. Yes, if Gap Inc hires you, they're going to expect you to work. Do you expect them to pay you to sit around all day? Use common sense. If you want a job that hires you to do nothing, then this probably isn't for you. I'd suggest an acting career for that.

I basically just got this job to get out of the house for the summer.

Pay: It's pretty lousy for even a low-priced luxury retailer. Fortunately my parents pay for everything I do, so it's not that big of a deal to me.

Respect: I feel like I'm treated pretty well. As long as you show the managers respect, they will respect you. I do feel like they tend to have favorites with those of us who get more Banana Cards than others. But I think that's just part of working retail.

Benefits: None as a part-time. And it's pretty dang hard to get a full-time job here. We only have one non-manager at our store, which is the biggest one in Charlotte, who works full-time. I do get 50% off everything full-priced in GAP and Banana, as well as 30% in the outlets. Also 25% in Old Navy, but I think Old Navy's gross, so I don't use that.

Job Security: Honestly as long as you don't steal anything, or quit, you could have this job forever. I know a lot of people who work at my store have their availability set so that they work like once a month, just for the discount.

Work/Life Balance: I haven't had many issues with requesting time off. My requests have been respected every time so far. They do tend to like to schedule me outside of my availability on some weekends, though. But I'd say it's pretty good.

Career Potential/Growth: It would probably be pretty hard to go up in ranks working for Banana Republic. At least, at my store, there are over 100 employees to pick from for a promotion...

Location: I live in a very wealthy area. The mall it's in is the nicest mall between Atlanta and Philly on the east coast. It's a mall with Burberry, Louis Vuitton, Neiman Marcus, Juicy Couture, Ralph Lauren, Hermes, Michael Kors, Lacoste, Brooks Brothers, and so on. I like it.

Co-worker Competence: I get along very well with most all of my co-workers. They're nice people, and I've become good friends with a lot of them. Again, it might be the area, but I really like all of them.

Work Environment: I find it to be very nice. In the mall/area this particular store is in, I get to be around very wealthy people, which is what I'm used to. I feel like I fit in. I don't feel at risk of being shot or anything, most of the time. Although, with the Louis Vuitton in the mall, it does tend to attract lower-class people who 'think dey so classy cuz dey got dey louis vuitton bag and dey gucci sunglasses,' which kind of annoys me, but I suppose any nice mall attracts those sorts of people who like to attempt to display upward mobility (but fail miserably). But whatever. Other than that, I think it's a very nice, healthy environment.

My only complaint with working here is the Banana Cards. I think shoving credit cards down peoples' throats is highly unethical, ESPECIALLY in this economy. We ARE given greatly unrealistic BRC goals each month, that if you don't meet, you get to have a nice talk with one of the managers. Being a cashier mostly, I'm expected to get more credit cards than most, but I don't, because asking people if they want to open up a credit card repeatedly until they say yes is something I'm just not going to do. But I suppose this is just part of working retail.

Bottom line? I'd say this is a good job for teenagers who want to get out of the house or maybe make a little bit of money. They will expect you to work, though. Heaven forbid we actually work at our jobs! lol

From Austin — 03/02/2010

I really enjoy working for the company. I am a sales associate and have been loving it since the beginning. Of course there are bad days, but what job doesn't have them. Working with customers has been a true delight. People are just really friendly for the most part; I've worked for 3 months now and the worst customer was someone that got mad because I was speaking too fast..... that's it.....that's as worse as it's gotten. So yeah I love it. The coworkers are all friendly so really I haven't many complaints.

From Richmond, Virginia — 12/22/2008

Pay- I got paid 8.50 an hour. Which is pretty good in this city considering my peers in college are making 7-8 dollars some place else.
Respect- The respect is excellent! In my store, the managers were really nice and everyone was attractive. Well, 95% were and that makes going to work even greater when you know you are actually getting dressed up to impress attractive people. The customers were ify, but its retail, and its the best retail job I have ever had. I've had 7 jobs since I was 16 and I'm 20 now.
Benefits- Never took advantage of any. Except the excellent discount! 50% off BR merchandise and 30% online, gap, and old navy.

Job Security- As long as you are not late, get at least 3 Banana Cards a month, (Which IS NOT HARD!!), and sell clothes that SELL THEMSELVES! you have job security. I mean seriously I have had plenty jobs in my teenage years and none were as easy as Banana Republic. BR is the easiest job ever and the one I had the most fun. When all my friends and random people knew I worked for Banana Republic there eyes were like wow, thats great. Seriously, the respect you get inside the store and out is amazing. Thats what I loved about the store the most.

Work/life balance- honestly, I had two jobs this year, so maybe thats why my work life balance sucked! My other job is easy and great also, but two of them and taking 18 credits is just horrible. If I had to work at BR more than ten hours a week I would probably die from the tasks. But only working 2, maybe 3 days a week and getting that great discount made this the easiest, most fun job I;ve ever had.

Location- Great, it was at the best mall in my city and very close to my university.

Coworker competence- Excellent. I've said this a million times and I'll say it again. I Love BR! My coworkers were very attractive. We all were. I am shallow, as I'm sure my coworkers were. We got along great! It depends which store you are in and all that stuff I know but speaking from the one store I worked at, my time there was great!

Work Environment- The store was always kept very neat. Managers and PT people were very nice. Everyone was helpful. I had no problems with anyone and I could see myself hanging out with many of my coworkers on the weekend. The managers were relatively young, mid twentys, and that made everything we had to talk about easier. I really felt like they were my peers, but still held them in high regard and treated them like managers.

Overall, I loved this job. Sad to be gone, but my GPA was only a 3.0 this semester and one of my jobs had to go anyways. I would recommend this job to anyone that considers themselves attractive, is a real peoples person, and likes to dress up for work.

From Columbus, OH — 10/22/2008

I worked for Banana Republic as a sales associate and then a manager for several years. I have since gone on to another company, and found that no one puts as much training into their staff as Gap, Inc. When I was there we had an 8 hr class which was then lowered to a 4-5 hour class, the job I am at now requires the new hires to read a workbook and watch a video. That's it. Managers were given an average training, but had to do follow workshops that I really learned a lot from. I felt like the benefits were better than most--they even paid a % if you wanted lasik eye surgery, but there weren't any benefits for PT people. As far as some of the other posters above commenting about mind-numbing tasks, it's retail! What did you expect? You'd be designing new produts, jetting off to NYC? It's folding, selling clothes and credit cards, and straightening. I was always upfront with the people I interviewed that they would have to sell the credit card, and told them not to accept the offer if they were committed to doing it.
I was always mindful of the staff and their schedule needs, but I only allowed 3 request offs a day, and if you were #4, you had to wait until the schedule was posted to see if you were getting it off or not. We had a staff around 40 people, so I always thought it was reasonable. The management staff was told about having a work/life balance, but it was not really enforced. Assistant managers were clocked in, and worked 40 hours, but took lots of work home to finish. Store managers were scheduled 40 hours but worked more like 50, with a lot of pressure. The pay was much better than many retail stores--I made more as an assistant manager than I am making currently as a store manager, but in retail, pay is mostly based on volume versus experience, and I went from a $5 million store to a $1 million store. However, I now have time to go to all of my son's events, without feeling guilty that I wasn't at work.
The company is really good at getting you as a manager to expand your skills and become better, but once you're better, they don't do anything with it. New members of management are hired in, not promoted, so if you want to be a higher manager than what you are now, you have to leave the company, get that higher position, then go back to BR. That goes for all managers--I've seen assistants passed over for store manager to leave and come back a few years later, store managers do it for the district manager job, etc, etc. Often the people who are hired in are not as competent as someone who as already worked there who could be promoted. Most managers do not have a college degree in retail. I found that if I had not gone to college, and instead had worked right out of high school in retail, I would have been seen as a better candidate. Most retail jobs will ask for a degree, but look more favorably if you have 4 years asst. mgr. position versus a fashion degree when interviewing.