Working at Ball Corporation — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Ball Corporation pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Ball Corporation

From Ohio — 01/29/2010

After stupidly going from hourly to supervisor, working untold hours of overtime for no compensation and very little increase in wages comparing my salary to hourly wages for someone with my seniority, I find that this year, we're all getting screwed on bonuses. The yearly bonus is what is supposed to make all of that additional responsibility, all of those extra uncompensated hours worthwhile. Some hourly guys on my crew took home $12000 more in pay than I did last year and worked fewer hours. I'm going back to hourly.

From wallkill, ny — 01/28/2010

I like working at Ball Wallkill and have had very few negative encounters with the management there. If you show up for work and do your best you don't have any problems. Unfortunately many of my co-workers have poor work habits which causes some to do more than others. If everyone would do their jobs it would be a great place to work.

From Wallkill, NY — 12/04/2009

I have worked at Ball plant in Wallkill for around 5 years. They pay is good for the area and you can't beat the benifit package!!!(went from none to everything with peanuts out of my pocket) Working nights does get to you but with a four on four off schedule you get by. I am writing this because i could not figure out if the other two comments on this plant were from peolple who work in the same plant as me!! The plant has been on a up and down ride with the economy and it appears that the group in the plant is trying to do everything possible to keep us working. I have only been here a short time but if you try your best and follow the plants rules (which are as simple as show up) that are in place and have been since i started, than you don't have a problem. Ball has been good to me and my family, and guess what? I don't have to say it!! it is the truth and i want to say it!!!

From Columbus, OH — 09/18/2009

Ball rocks!

From Columbus, OH — 09/15/2009

I love my job.

From Findlay, Ohio — 08/12/2009

You'll make good money at Ball, but the work schedule is a killer. The typical schedule is 12 hour days, 4 on 4 off, swinging back and forth from days to nights every 4 months. Most everyone I work with suffers from some kind of sleep disturbance disorder because of this. They have enough people who would work one or the other and the plant isn't union, so I don't understand why they have this policy. I think workers would be happier if Ball changed to three stable shifts or at the very least, eliminated having to swing shifts. Overtime is often mandatory. The factories are not climate controlled and can get very hot.

No matter what Ball corporate says, hiring and/or promotions are almost always based on favoritism or nepotism and not on job performance/history. Benefits aren't that great. Insurance deductibles are high, provider reimbursement low and you have to fight tooth and nail over every submitted claim. And, as with most companies, employees are responsible for paying a portion of premiums. There are companies that pay less, but have better benefits. This might be a consideration for some people. Also, you make the same pay rate no matter where you work. Don't expect a higher pay rate if you live in California. It's the same across the board.

Now for the positives - for the most part, co-workers are nice and cooperative. Most have no problems working as a team, although there are some exceptions. There is a zero tolerance policy re: sexual harassment and/or workplace violence. HR is reasonable and follows company policy. Pay is great. The factory itself is very clean and the work environment is safe. I would have rated work environment higher except working in 100 degree + heat in the summer isn't something to look forward to. There are yearly pay raises based on performance evaluation and quarterly bonuses based on company performance. Safety is a huge issue and bonuses can be reduced based on payout for work-related accidents. Job security is good as long as you are a hard worker and show up. I don't think those are unreasonable expectations.

As far as factory work is concerned, overall Ball is a good place to work as long as you keep your mouth shut, your nose to the grindstone and your expectations low. You aren't likely to climb the ladder of success here, but you will make a comfortable living.

From Belleuve, OH — 07/04/2009

Ball Corporation is a company that is managed well. The company is diversified and has taken innovative products to market within the last few years. The metal can and aerospace divisions contribute the greatest portion to Ball's annual income. Ball's performance in the stock market has been, and continues to be, strong.

Ball's compensation is excellent. The salary ranges leave plenty of room for growth, without being "topped out". Ball is a professional company that promotes mutual respect. Benefits at Ball are very good. Annual bonuses, affordable premiums for benefits, and fringe benefits are better than most companies. Overall, compensation at Ball is comparable other large companies.

Even in today's volatile economy, Ball is a solid company. Recent announcements of plant closings and acquisitions have placed Ball in a position to be more competitive in the marketplace. While there is no such thing as a "guaranteed job", employees who get results and exceed expectations can expect to have a long and prosperous career with Ball. The Talent Management initiatives at Ball are more structured and utilized than I have seen at my previous employers. Retirements and Ball's expanding role in the global market will create an abundance of career advancement opportunities for motivated employees in the immediate future.

Working at Ball, as a company, is a fulfilling experience. Many of Ball's facilities are located in large metropolitan areas which provide an excellent quality of life. On the other hand, some of Ball's manufacturing facilities are in rural areas. The lack of access to quality schools, government services, and health care should be considered, when relocating to rural areas. One advantage of a rural area, however, is that traffic is generally not a factor in the daily commute to work.

I recommend Ball as potential employer for any motivated person who is capable of introducing and implementing innovative ideas. The turnover at most Ball facilities is low for a reason!

From Kansas City — 05/07/2009

I worked for the Kansas City, MO plant that was recently closed. We made good money and were union. They closed us and the Kent Washington plant because we were union. They are a union busting company. The other non union plants have to kiss management butt everyday to keep their job. We did get a good severance package when they shut us down.

From Columbus, Ohio — 01/28/2009

This is my first and last experience working in a factory/plant. I don't have a problem with Ball Corporation, but I do have issues with Ball employees. I'm only talking about the Columbus location since that's all I know. However, I've never worked with such angry, arrogant, and uneducated people in my entire life. Some employees are just nasty, mean people. They don't have a clue what the word polite means.

For unskilled labor, employees at Ball are very well paid. Their yearly wages would offer them a very comfortable lifestyle whether living in Columbus, OH or Southern California. Yet, most employees hate their jobs at Ball, which I don't understand due to what Ball offers--high wages, excellent benefits, and employee respect.

Aside from excellent wages and good benefits, managers, both middle and upper-management, give employees a lot of respect. Ball Corp. also offers promotional opportunities for good employees, as well as a decent working environment. As far as I know, there is job security if employees do their job.

Keep up the good work Ball! You're not the problem, but your employees are.