Work at AT&T — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about AT&T pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at AT&T

From Huntington WV — 09/30/2009

I work under the VA/WV market. We are making more$ now than ever. Goals are high, but goals only go up not down. I see alot of reps getting promoted from within the company. I am happy to work for a good manager and arsm. I think this is a great company to work for

From MD — 08/12/2009

High Turnover, Poor Healthcare Benefits, Excellent Retirement Package

From columbia, sc — 04/01/2009

I can honestly say i like what i do..i like talking to customers, solving problems but let me go back and say that is not my real job. att doesnt want you to help the customer..they want to suck the money out of every person that drops in on the line, no matter how broke they are, how much they dont need the service, our job is to manipulate, not lie, but manipulate the truth. give as little information as possible within legal guidelines, make you believe you are getting this great bundle of services but really we just lowered the prices so what you use to pay we can get you a lower price and throw on all the other services that you dont have to bring the price back up to what you are paying now and tell you we can get you all these services for the same thing you are paying now in reality we coudl just lower your bill 20 bucks and you can keep all your services.. ripoff, i just want to go on tv and tell all these customers how bad they are getting ripped off, does no one wonder why the same three damn reps are always number one, never have a bad day..hmmm doesnt take a genius to realize they are not selling with integrity..here i am getting written up every other day in defense of the customer..att could care less about their customers, employees they are money hungry pigs...get your ass on this phone and lets see what you can sell!!!

From Evansville, In — 03/13/2009

It is better then nothing

From Texas — 02/19/2009

A couple of things; top management employee's tend to drink away all of their sorrows at the local watering hole 5 min from the corporate office. We send out memos to our workers, and clients thanking them for the opportunity to serve them for 1-3 days. We are in meeting after meeting discussing what we should do, instead of actually having a plan and putting in action. Our customers and large clients DEMAND answers- about why issues and problems are not fixed in a timely matter or at least within the legal agreements that are in force. Not to mention that we have our lives, families, and job uprooted without any warning. Yes- I agree with you that the company you started with 10-20 years ago was much different, but the times have changed. And certain Sacrifices have to be made. We receive just about as much respect and rationing of office supplies as those of you in the call centers. However, there are still laws in place in the United States that protect everyone’s rights and if you have questions or feel your rights are being violated, you SHOULD bring them up to the Department of Labor, occupational safety and health administration (OSHA), a experienced attorney, the attorney general in your state or your local Labor union.

From San Francisco — 02/18/2009

I must say that I am suprised to read the previous comments about AT&T. This is a great company to work for. Let me break down these scores for anyone thinking about working for the company. First of all, don't listen to the other two comments! Work without compensation? (Few markets are no unionized and union rules wont let you read an email without pay) Being a problem employee for raising questions? (I've seen people do things you would not believe and not get fired! It's amazingly hard to fire a union employee). But anyways, pay. I have a 30,000 dollar salary, not bad for someone that works in a cell phone store. But, in 2008 I earned 105,000! Yes, 75,000 dollars in commission. Now, I happen to be exceptionally good at what I do and the average rep in my store pulls in about 55,000, but it is possible, I have done it. So, 5! Respect, I give it a 5. I could see how some may rank this catagory lower but remember this, with AT&T you get only the repect you ear, but once you earn it...they will give it to you. Benefits, 5. I have no issues with them. Job Security, 5! Are you kidding me? Short of stealing or sexual misconduct it is a task to get fired from this company. Work/ Life balance, 3. Ok, this one is not that great. I spend my days teathered to my Blackberry. I answer my phone all day, all night (no joke, people will call at all hours) and have yet to have a day off without spending a few hours either at work or on the phone. (Bare in mind, you don't have to do this, you can leave work at work, but I dont make my money byt just being a cashier. I am my customers 'got to guy' one of the reason I see a TON of referal business.) Career Potential/ Growth, 5 FIVE 5. I have been offered SEVERAL promotions in my few years with the company, management, business sales, corporate trainer. Right now, I am not ready to get the 'move up pay cut' and am happy where I am. But, the day I am ready to move, there will be opportunitys waiting and the sky's the limit. Location, 5. Are you kidding? Location?? I have moved now twice accross the country and walked into jobs like nothing. How many companies can you work for that pay you this kind of money and have work in every city? In every state? 5555. Co-worker competence, ok :) 0. I work in retail, and AT&T is very god at hiring on whoever, and letting the idiots weed themselves out and the good people do well. So sadly, it does mean that we spend are stays surrounded by quite a few morons...But hey, they make the good ones look even better! Work environment, 2. I work in a store, I spend a good solid 2 hours every day getting yelled at by somebody for something that has nothing to do with me (customers yelling, not managers) so the environment can be trying.
In conclusion, this job is not for everyone. You have to be prepared to get yelled at, to have run ins with coworkers. We are very competitive and every day is a battle. But I love my job. I love my manager (he has become one of my best friends, my assistant manager too) I take vacations pretty much whenever I want, if I have no vacation time left, I take it unpaid! No big deal. And one day I will decide to move up and I'm sure I will love whatever I take next. Bare in mind, I am one of very few people in thousands that does this well in my job (about 25 to be exact). In a couple weeks I'll be at the annual awards trip staying at a 500 dollar a night hotel getting wined and dined all on the company (and getting paid for it).
AT&T Mobility is a great employer, I would suggest it for anyone who has the balls to get out there and make something big out of an opportunity that most people waste! Good Luck.

From TEXAS — 02/12/2009

As an employee for 4 and a half years, I can say the benefits are excellent. The insurance coverage is the reason I am still here. My family has lots of medical issues. The dental insurance leaves something to be desired. A year ago or so they gutted management's insurance and it is no longer desirable to be in management. Very sad commentary on a fortune 400 company. My pay is better than most people I know in my call center.

I am in a high stress job (retention)where I am supposed to keep 70% of the customers that say they want to cancel. Commissions are paid for keeping customers. QA is so nit picky they find ways to keep from paying the bonus a big percentage of the time. I am tired of "there's the door" from management and customers that unload on me. The pressure from the top to have lower handle time/ resolve all the issues on a single call and have good customer satifaction surveys is getting worse. Most employees have high blood pressure and are overweight.

The free coffee is gone, we cant print anything, and they rationed the office supplies. Fans/heaters not allowed. No more certificates for years of service. "Good job" is rarely in the vocabulary. The jobs off the phone are very competitive and hard to get.Thank goodness for the union or we would not have rights.

From Birmingham, AL — 02/08/2009

First of all, I started working for the company in 1979 under the old (beloved) Bell System. The former AT&T was a big family and we were all proud to be there. The United States Department of Justice stepped in and at the end of 1983, BellSouth was created along with its spun-off brothers and sisters across the country. BellSouth maintained the same great atmosphere of loyalty, respect, and creativity that had flourished in the pre-divestiture version of AT&T.

Fast forward to 2006 where a thinly-veiled SBC (calling itself AT&T due to a previous transaction) exercised a rather hostile takeover bid on BellSouth (the last remaining unchanged Baby Bell). BellSouth fell victim to the threats that SBC lashed out and by the end of 2007 any evidence of BellSouth was gone.

Luckily, the US government stepped in to protect the BellSouth Master Pension Trust (one of the crown jewels that SBC was really going after) so unlike our SBC/AT&T counterparts around the country, we still retain our pension and it continues to grow as if it were still being managed by BellSouth until the end of 2015. Our pay grows at a slower rate however, and this year the Board of Directors announced that there would be NO pay increases this year due to "the economy". This announcement coming on the heels of a year of bragging in 2008 about how well the company was doing financially and how iPhone sales helped the wireless division post record profits. As well, our annual bonus program has been whittled down to near non-existence.

SBC has segmented itself so that transferring to jobs in other parts of the company are now nearly impossible. Partnering with its bedfellow (Communications Workers of America), there have been restrictions placed in the various union contracts which basically forbid an employee to transfer to a job covered by a separate contract. For instance, a Craft employee working in Yellow Pages cannot seek out and transfer to a job in Landline Network, Landline Sales, Wireless, Internet Services, Billing, or any of the other plethora of CWA contracts in place. They brag about employment opportunities, but you better decide on which part of the company you want to work for because there is no freedom of movement. When I called HR/Staffing about a job that was posted in my same building, I was told that I would have to be off payroll for six months before I could apply for that job because it is in a different subsidiary than the one I work in. As it turned out, I have the exact skillsets required of that job, and the person they hired has been to numerous training classes out-of-town at great expense to the company and still she is not performing the job satisfactorily (11 months later). The manager in that group has spoken to me several times to find out if I would be willing to "help her out" on my own time because he knows that I know how to do that job. If you guessed that my reply to him was a rousing HELL NO, then you are a very smart individual!

Location -- I don't know who decides what, but some really bad decisions are made. The Birmingham DSL Call Center had a great opportunity early in its planning stages. BellSouth had just emptied out a building in Birmingham near the intersection of I-459 and Hwy 280 (yes, The Colonnade). That building comes equipped with a fully functioning cafeteria, gym, conference facilities out the ying-yang, and FREE parking in two covered parking decks attached to the buildings by covered walkways. It is convenient to daycare, hotels, restaurants, other shopping, and easily accessible from two very major highways. Instead, the company allowed the City of Birmingham to dangle a tax abatement check in front of their eyes on the condition that the call center be placed downtown in the old South Central Bell state headquarters building. So the decision was made to place the lowest paid people in the company ($10/hr in this day and age if you can handle that) in a downtown/urban environment with very competitive parking situations (some as high as $80/month), a makeshift cafeteria in the lobby, no daycare in the area, and in a building with outdated and aging infrastructure (it was built in 1968 and has only been remodeled ONCE). Combine that with the company's decision to force the call center into a 24/7 schedule so you have employees walking out into the pitch black dark of night to their cars in an area that is rife with drug deals, drive-by shootings, and prostitution. Not good.

My coworkers are, however, among the best in the business and thank God for them or else I would not make it through the day.

You know, SBC stands for Still Buying Companies. Ed Whitacre had a vision that he could reconstruct the former Bell System, but I don't think this was what he had in mind. Maybe that's why he darted out the door as fast as he did after the BellSouth hostile takeover was completed. He realized his mistakes and knew that nothing could be done to fix them. I hope he and Duane Ackerman are enjoying their millions wherever they are now residing.

From illinois — 09/13/2008

Tt makes me laugh that people are this unhappy with a company that pays well, takes care of 100% medical, has a pension, has promotional opportunities everywhere, is located everywhere, rolls out new competitive products every year (i phone and uverse), and all they ask is that your job. Sorry you have to make more money by work some ot. If you do not like it, then go to the airlines, auto industry, steel mills. Sorry those jobs are not available because they were not competitive. My advice is to leave because with 6.1% un employement there are millions that will take these jobs.

From Florida — 08/04/2008

Good pay, good training. I had to work- 12-8, 11-7, all weekends. Excellent benefits, but that is changing. Fear tactics are used to motivate, make your numbers or you won't be here. Much competition between co-workers. Customers have to wait and are irritated when they get to you. I loved the learning and the technology, hated the hours and you have to wear a sheild to deal with most customers or you get stomped on. BUT it is a company that tries to make things better and they treated me very well.